Anyone here a member of any real life book clubs? What are your experiences?

Anyone here a member of any real life book clubs? What are your experiences?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vkWzXx_AHig
owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/owlprint/722/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Everytime I research one, I look at their schedule and see it's all YA books, and then I don't want to be part of their book club.

reading is a solitary activity

It's a lot of fun! The book selections aren't always the most top-tier, this is true. But I always look forward to meeting up with everyone, and hearing their thoughts about the selection.

I like QPB.

gosh he's cute

youtube.com/watch?v=vkWzXx_AHig

Xavier Dolan is an insufferable bastard; though his films are quite good.

I mostly agree but there are a few scenarios where reading doesn't have to be solitary. reading aloud during road trips with your qt3.14 is a comfy experience. I'd also like to read to my kids in the future.

>youtube.com/watch?v=vkWzXx_AHig [
LOL

Das ist ein Mädchenn.

lmao

>Xavier Dolan fan doesn't know how to use the semicolon
it checks out

this.

Tried to find one here in Zurich using meetup. Found 3. One was YA. One was Christian. The last one was made up of housewives, current book being discussed was Me After You.

I'm not asking for much guys. All I want is a small group of friends who enjoy weird fiction.

Switch those qualifiers around and you'd be right.

>his films are quite good.

No even our imaginary one on here failed by the looks of it. I would like to be a part of one but not have to see people in person

I can never be in a book club where women are allowed to select the books.

Women in book clubs do more harm than that. Women usually read in order to empathise with the characters and to live vicariously through them, rather than paying attention to the text as a work of art. This means discussion tends to revolve around a kind of "I feel like..." or "for me, ...", where everything is subjective and feelings-based, rather than trying to build a more thorough understanding of the text as a piece of literature.

>Wanting to discuss John Green books

i have looked for book clubs but they all read trash books. and if i ever found out that read serious business literature i wouldn't join because i'm an idiot and wouldn't contribute a god damned thing.

Elaborate on how you would build a thorough understanding of a text as a piece of literature.

>his films are quite good.

faggot

We haven't read any books by John Green (or at least, not since my joining the group). I won't lie, the biggest draw is the sense of community -- I'm often less interested in the book itself as much as I am curious about what others think about it.

Technically that use of a semicolon is perfectly sound. There is nothing wrong with it.

i guess by comparing it to other works. not op though

"Though his films are quite good" isn't an independent clause.

wow

which film is this from? I've only seen Mommy and although the main character was totally annoying and awful to watch, i'd have to admit the film was good.

I almost didn't see it because i felt weird about asking to see a film titled "mommy" - one of the many ways that freud has ruined my ability to enjoy things

>In line at the kinodome
>as i get closer to the ticket booth i begin pulling wads of cash out of my trenchcoat
>at 5 feet away i start shrieking "I want to see mommy!"
>trembling cashier extends me a ticket balanced on the end of a broom
surely there's a more dignified way to go about this?

>'his films' = subject
>'are' = verb
>'his films are quite good' = complete thought
>subject + verb + complete thought = independent clause

i didnt know jaden smith was white

haha lol xD

> all the book clubs represented in TV comedies and drama are often shown reading classics like Moby Dick
> all the book clubs in real life focus on reading Boon & Mills-tier romance fiction, YA fiction and child abuse trauma shit like A Child Called It

Maybe I should just give up on social norms and live life as it was intended, as a transcendental being of intellect that can only sustain a livelihood through the association of knowledgeable equals (only three people exist on this exclusive list: me, myself and I).

This week we're discussing the importance of Big Dave.

>his films are quite good though
Complete thought (though = adverb)
>though, his films are quite good
Complete thought (though = adverb)
>though his films are quite good
Incomplete thought (though = conjunction)

We are planning to start a bookclub with just me and my mother. She likes Stephen King and those Stieg Larsson type of novels so it's going to be interesting, she gets to read something more serious and I get to read more genre fiction. She reads really fast, like a book a day and she has read many classics when she was younger. We'll see how this will work out.

And i thought the semicolon discussion was the most autistic thing in the thread.

I was looking at book clubs in my area of hampton roads literally 10 minutes ago and everything in this thread is true. Half of the groups are women exclusive and the other half is reading go set a watchman, that new stephen king excretion, or young adult trash. Kill me

I was emailing with one of my old professors whom I hold a great respect for and he invited me to one in Brooklyn focusing on 1930s lit. I just asked him what authors/books but he has yet to get back to me.

It's Only The End of The World

It got terrible reviews from almost every critic when it premiered at Cannes, so the judges there did the only noble thing they could do and awarded Dolan with the best director prize, unfortunately for them this caused the entire audience to boo this decision when they presented him with the prize at the award ceremony.

owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/owlprint/722/

joined the book club at my university, we read slaughterhouse 5; I thought ok whatever, it's the start of the year, we'll ease our way in. Then we voted to read Peter Pan. Then we voted to read Coreline. Then i stopped going.