With the Olympics in Rio...

With the Olympics in Rio, what is the probably of those athletes and spectators getting bitten by an infected mosquito and bringing Zika back to their respective countries? Are we on the verge of a pandemic?

Other urls found in this thread:

cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/wr/mm6528e1.htm
cdc.gov/zika/transmission/sexual-transmission.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes

What do you plan on doing before the uprising of the mosquitoes begins?

There's no vaccine out for it yet, right? What are we supposed to do in the meantime? It's not like we can prevent any mosquitoes from biting us whatsoever.

>It's not like we can prevent any mosquitoes from biting us whatsoever
Its not that hard.
> bug spray
> citronella oil
> the area sprays that eliminate a bunch more

Build more bat houses!!

Those do work, but all it takes is one bite to get infected. Are there bug sprays out there that can prevent 100% of mosquitoes from getting you? I live in a very dry desert and have much less encounters with mosquitoes than someone in Florida would.

>bat houses
Do the bats eat the mosquitoes?

Humans can't transmit it, so it doesn't really matters.

The majority eat insects too.

There is a fuckload of bats in Rio, their population was out of control some years ago. The worst part is that they carry that dangerous virus I can't remember the name. The one you need to take a vaccine right after they bite you.

The olympics isn't expected to worsen the epidemic badly. Many countries already have a lot of travel to Brazil or don't have significant mosquito populations. Here's a report that the CDC wrote up:
cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/wr/mm6528e1.htm
The report concludes the countries that are vulnerable and will have significantly increased travel are Chad, Djibouti, Eritrea, and Yemen. However only about a hundred people will be coming from those countries, so probably none of those countries will be exposed due to this.

>Humans can't transmit it
It's my understanding that Zika spreads by someone infected with Zika getting bitten by a mosquito that can carry that virus and bite some one not infected, thus spreading the disease.

The CDC notes that Zika can be transmitted sexually as well.

cdc.gov/zika/transmission/sexual-transmission.html

Rio also has water born illnesses not seen normally in the Western World.

>The one you need to take a vaccine right after they bite you
Rabies?

Build dragonfly houses, then!

>Bats carry rabies meme

Infection rate of bats is pretty low and no bats that are healthy and flying around probably have it.

All these countermeasures can fail and frequently do. Targetting the vector is an inefficient idea.

The solution was to not fucking hold the olympics at Rio.

Seriously, we have a first world and a third world for something. Next thing they will be telling us is that the 2020 Olympics will be on Uganda or some shit.

Why not just cut the middleman and hold the olympics at the hospital room of a guy infected with Zika.

go innawoods

There has already been numerous scientists that have said that the human race is basically over thank to the rio olympics.

I think the government engineered the plague on purpose, to deal with the population growth.

Good. We've had enough chances to not be trash.

>The solution was to not fucking hold the olympics at Rio.

But's that's racist. Everybody knows it's time to die.

you aren't a nazi are you?

I know this is just a vidya quote, but why would the government EVER put that much effort into helping humanity?

>what is the probably

Our power structures aren't as cut and dry as the public is led to believe.

Building tools made of large groups and wielding tools made of large groups is a delicate art and science. There just so happens to be a community out there who makes mastery of this art it's main focus. This community also just so happens to consider itself the caretakers of humanity.

Gah! I can't believe I messed that up. Forgive, senpai.

Meh. Zika only effects normies who want to have kids anyway.

All jokes aside even if this isn't an Illuminati plot, it sure seems to be playing out like one.

>Wanting yet another way to get fucked over by giving her the D
no

zika has the same affect as the common cold on the infected.

Most people don't even realize they have it until their child is born without a brain.

If China becomes the first to develop a cure, you can bet they're going to use it as a tool to control their population. Anyone under 5' 8" is ineligible for the cure.

>even if this isn't an Illuminati plot

cant believe it took 20 posts to point that out

What I want to know is why the Olympics were held in Rio in the first place. I'm not familiar with the history of locations, but shouldn't an event this huge be held somewhere more, I don't know, first world-like? What good does holding this huge event do if it's in a third-world country?

2020 will be in japan, 2024 in LA

It's an STD m8.

They haven't even started voting for 2024.

That would be for the best
Only when people from rich country start getting infected they'll put some money into trying to cure it.

Pinhead babies? Pfft.
I would be more worried about things they will bring back that don't even have names yet. Rio - It's basically a large tropical toilet that only the locals have adapted to.

Poor Yao Ming will be all alone.

50/50
It either happens or it doesn't.

its a STD

there are rumors that zika comes from a 2012 release of GMO mosquitos

this

Zika isnt even anything to worry about unless you are pregnant. It frequently causes no signs or symptoms and your immune system fights it off before you realize anything is wrong. It can be transmitted sexually though, so as long as you arent in danger of being or making someone pregnant (see 99% of Veeky Forums) Zika poses literally zero threat.

Also its worth mentioning that Zika babies arent a lifelong problem, its only a problem if the mother is currently infected while pregnant. After the virus is killed by your immune system you are free to get pregnant without worrying about tardlets.

One of the people who I work with in the local government had Zika.
He also had some other more severe disease carried by those mosquitos.