Looking for some good books on filmmaking/theory/screenwriting, photography as well if you know any...

Looking for some good books on filmmaking/theory/screenwriting, photography as well if you know any. Only one I have at the moment is Sculpting in Time.

Pic related, heard it was good, any thoughts on it?

bump

Last bump.

bazin what is cinema
eisenstein film form
eisenstein film sense
deleuze and guattari cinema the movement image
deleuze and guattari cinema the time image
roland barthes camera lucida
susan sontag on photography

avoid sculpting in time unless you are interested specifically in tarkovsky. i hear it recommended as a book on film theory often and it could not be further.

for film history mark cousin's story of film is good.

if you are interested in filmmaking and not criticism though, reading film theory will not help you in the end. like writing you're going to have to grab a camera and go do it.

Thanks for the recs, appreciate it.

I kind of like Tark so I'm going to read it but thanks for the heads up anyway.

I know, I intend to. I would still like some books though.

agreed, if you are interested in writing a screenplay, almost all the books are trash - you have to just write something

this especially. great film does not arise from the written word anyhow, but the image. "screenwriters" are the lowest of the low. writers without control of the word to support a projected world using the camera as a copout.

Yeah, I only have the Stephen King OnWriting book and I haven't read it yet.

Was looking for good technical books that give me a basic understanding but I try to make something.

before I try*

Yeah you're right. I'll just carry on reading screenplays and watching the films.

shot by shot - stephen d katz
on directing film - david mamet

these were helpful for me as practical books outside of the frankfurt headspace

not that those folks are bad, but starting with the euros for film left me feeling groggy

also my personal advice:
before you attempt narrative, shoot documentary/unscripted content, then edit this together. cutting a film is honestly the best crash course in filmmaking.

hell, even cut together a bunch of found footage and see how that works for you.

In the blink of an eye walter murch

>deluze

OP here. Didn't expect this to still be alive, thanks for the all the recs and advice.

Does anyone have any opinions on the pic in the OP? Any opinions on Pudovkins books as well?

>inb4 deleuze

read kurosawa's autobiography appendix.

What's wrong with Deleuze?

If you like Tark, you should also read Bresson's Notes on the Cinematographer

Nothing, they're just /pol/sci/

Thanks i'll get it.

I see.

bump for interest

Sidney Lumet has a book called "Making Movies". He was a very practical man and he talks a bit of they way he shoots.

"Easy Riders, Raging Bulls" is a good book to know more of the transformations of the industry, not film theory, but a bit of history and wonderful anecdotes from the shift in Hollywood film making throughout the sixties and seventies.

I also think that Sculpting in Time is not about film theory, but about Tarkovsky and his way to see the world and personally I recommend this book to everyone, not only interested in cinema. It's about art, work and spirituality, one of my fav books. Enjoy!

Robert Bresson has that book, I think it is called "Notes on filmmaking", but I don't remember it, you'll have to check. Also a very personal way to look at cinema, quite insightful.

any video essays or links?

What about The fives C's of cinematography?

ask tv

But I thought this was a thread about film/filmmaking literature.

Pretty slow board though.