If David Foster Wallace couldn't not kill himself, what chance do any of us have?

If David Foster Wallace couldn't not kill himself, what chance do any of us have?

Most people are not as introspective, nor as demanding of themselves, as Wallace was

True. brb killing self

Came here to say he was an annoying little swot who thought too hard about things, now I feel shame reading the first comment.

Suicide is the highest possible act of self-realization

>mfw I'm not so much of a sperg as to critique my every bit of intellectual output and thus hang from my back yard.
>thefeels.jpeg

We die anyway, so why not kill yourself?

His death is a warning to us all
He died so we may live

We die anyway, so why kill yourself?

hello Veeky Forums

How do you know?

If you don't want to want to die, don't make it your responsibility to bear pain for others. That said, I respect him for doing just that.

I read books.

Non-being is strictly superior to being. That's why the world is dying. We fulfill God's deathwish.

Then someone should make an industry out of putting people into near death experiences.

you're missing the point. Annihilation, not merely coming close, is what is wanted. And, mercifully, it is what we'll get.

Annihilation of just our consciousness or our physical body? You can achieve the former with drugs, MKULTRA type things, or people who survive brain anyerusms, whose consciousnesses have effectively been destroyed.

Going further: possibly the most sacred, beautiful thing that life can accomplish while still alive is speeding the universal fall into nothingness.

The physical body, yes - but the ultimate satisfaction will be the annihilation of the entire physical universe

According to who though. If the physical universe is destroyed entirely, there is nothing to have the satisfaction of it not existing, unless Plato was right.

Superior in what sense though? Most people would consider the pursuit and sharing of love to be superior to passive desolation.

Exactly, this is the same rhetoric suicidal people use to convince themselves that death is a solution to life's suffering. They assert there's no reason to live without also admitting that there's no reason to die.

Suicide is more of a mathematical problem.

Suicide occurs when the certainty of a life full of suffering is equal to or greater than the uncertainty of death, with other variables like religion, ethnicity, society and personal traits in determining whether how much suffering is too much.

pessimists, gnostics.

most people are fools

There is an ancient history of cultures that embraced those experiences as sacred, not everyone within those cultures would have those experiences, but now the means of obtaining those experiences are illegal nearly everywhere.

Lol how can you come back if you are going to be dead because you are gonna kill yourself lol anyway you must be dead now so who cares

Fair analysis, although not everyone is a good existential mathematician.

>most people are fools
I'm going to go ahead and lump you in with them based on your pseudo-religious attachment to the void.

do what you will amigo, we all end up in the same place regardless

I'm going to go ahead and lump you in with them based on your pseudo-religious attachment to living.

It was necessary for him to die the death of the tragic hero, just like Hamlet.

:^)

Life isn't something that I'm doing. It's something that's happening to me. Death is going to happen to me too. Killing myself would be an act of will, an entirely unnecessary one.

exactly. It doesn't even prclude living a great life. When you are 70, what is a greater cherry on top of the life sundae than to die peacefully and on your own terms? Longevity is a fucking meme

The reason to die is abbreviating your record of diminishig returns. Like what if you somehow found out you were going to slowly burn to death in a few hours from now and you had some pill that would cause you to go to sleep and then die without feeling anything. Are you seriously going to say "hurr durr, no reason to take the pill because rhetorical word-salad told me so"

Yes of course I am. Is it important for me to not burn to death?

>is it important for me to not burn to death

Lifecucks never fail to surprise me.