Chesmitry

Who else thinks that Veeky Forums needs a chemistry board

Why?
Isn't chemistry a science?

>Chesmitry

Just as much as it needs a biology board, a computer science board, an engineering board or a seperate board for any other branch of science that gets hate by arrogant trolls.

Thats what i meant.

Yeah but the hate is justified. Comp sci, engineering are actually memes

Start an /orgo/ general or something. Make sure to include a short FAQ that will hopefully shut up the premeds scared that the subject is a rigorous as hell second course in LA.

You would think they could merge the codebases, since they're in bed with each other.

Chemistry threads are one of the least frequent here.

In another three months or so, no one will have complained about the proposed names for the last four elements. And then they will be official!

The new element names have been given a five-month probationary period for review, and just to see if everyone is "cool" with the names. If anyone were going to complain, they would have done so on day one, or else vocally by now.

When will this meme end?

chemistry and illegal drug creation board

I'm a chem PhD and as much as I love chemistry, a /chem/ board is so fucking unnecessary

I could understand if the catalogue was flooded with chem threads but it fucking isn't so shut the fuck up

and a deslyxia board
ontuld fnu

Why? You hardly ever see chemistry threads and if they appear, they barely go beyond organic chemistry basics or "gookin druks :DDDDD".

well I guess this is the chemthread, so I have a question for anyone:

how do reduction potentials work? I know the basics from gen chem classes and chembros that it's just a measure of how likely certain elements gain electrons. but what is the actual cause of the discrepency? Further, is it a fair assessment to say that all atoms are the same nucleus wise, but because of slight variations in the valence electron shell they have different characteristics? What the fuck?

So "Veeky Forums - Science & Math" would become "Veeky Forums -Science & Math but not Chemistry"?

are there any simple experiments I can do that demonstrate concepts in an undergrad pchem course

Make ferrofluid, make Schweitzer's reagent, maybe try synthesising some aromatics if you're into that organic stuff.

We already have /lgbt/ so I think engineering is covered

>an engineering board
literally /diy/

Reduction is the process of gaining electrons, the more electronegative an element is (greater nuclear charge within the same valence shell) the more likely it is to gain an electron due to less distance and shielding from attractive nucleus t.f. A higher reduction potential. E.g. fluorine is much more likely to gain an electron than oxygen due to it having a +1 greater charge whilst staying in the 2P valence shell.

The greater the reduction potential the more likely the element will gain an electron to it's valence shell - the process of gaining an election generates an electromotive force (voltage) which can be used for useful work and/or comparison to other elements/substances capable of gaining/losing electrons.

My basis is coming from UK A-Level chemistry, so it might not be all there but that's the basic jist of it.

We also should have board for MTG here on Veeky Forums