Ok, never been on this board before but wondering if any of you foodfags can help me out

Ok, never been on this board before but wondering if any of you foodfags can help me out.

There is a truck stop/restaurant in my area that makes the most amazing fucking hollandaise sauce I've ever had.

It tastes nothing like traditional hollandaise sauces. It's thick, dark, and super buttery. Doesn't even taste like eggs.

I've tried all kinds of recipes found online to mimic this and they just don't measure up. Can anyone offer any pointers/ideas/their own concoctions? (short of asking the restaurant for the recipe, which I don't think they'd give me).

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2010/03/mixed-review-knorrs-hollandaise-mix.html
bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/holidays/article/watch-le-bernardin-s-eric-ripert-make-the-mother-of-all-sauces-for-mothers-day
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You could always try asking them

sounds like a brown butter bechamel, kind of a cajun thing imo

r u 500 pounds? don't eat that stuff

Considering its a truck stop, and it doesn't taste like hollandaise sauce...
Well isn't it fucking obvious that its not?
Its probably "hollandaise-style sauce" and it comes from a can or jar, or the Knorr powder shit in those foil envelopes.
I wouldn't think its some amazing secret, more than likely its a commercial product from a restaurant supply. Just ask them to show you, and you can buy it yourself.

>It tastes nothing like traditional hollandaise sauces. It's thick, dark, and super buttery. Doesn't even taste like eggs.
kek. It's probably just browned butter with flour for thickness, not too improbable considering it's at a fucking truck stop.

how come nobody mentions how shitty OPs sauce on the pic looks like?

I looked that up. It's not THAT dark. It's definitely yellow, just a much darker yellow than pic related.

No. 6' 180#. I like it.

Oh there's egg in it for sure, it's just barely noticeable. On the flip side I've noticed that virtually all hollandaise recipes call for lemon juice as well, and I've never detected even a hint of lemon in it.

The only thing I can think of is they might have clarified their butter by hand first...does it have a strong vinegar or tangy taste? Some variations of hollandaise use brown mustard and white wine vinegar, omitting the vinegar and using extra mustard might explain the color/texture.

No vinegar taste, but yes - somewhat of a mild tang. Not sharp by any means.

>>It's not THAT dark

Any sort of browned sauce would vary in color depending on how long/hot the roux was cooked. Not every brown butter sauce will be the same color. Not every roux would be the same color. It's totally up to the chef.

Does the menu specifically say 'hollandaise sauce'?

>short of asking the restaurant for the recipe, which I don't think they'd give me

You make it out like this is some huge big deal. Just ask them. Takes seconds, worst that can happen is that they say no.

Try this recipe but don't use the white wine vinegar, and use a mild brown mustard in place of the lemon juice: stellaculinary.com/content/how-make-hollandaise-french-mother-sauce

It probably won't be exactly the same but it might get you close to it.

Exactly what I was thinking. Just ask them OP. Stop being a pussy.

Looks broken and greasy. But, that's probably what he loves about it.

Le “butter and eggs are bad for you” meme

This.
It's Knorr with butter added.

Yes it does

Friends have asked and were turned down

Thanks I'll give it a shot

I've had Knorr. I've tried various powder mixes thinking along the same line - "it's a truck stop, it's gotta be something boxed and processed". Nope, not even close.

This hollandaise looks oily as fuck. Beat it well or be beaten.

Why wouldn't they give you the recipe?

I imagine because it's a pretty big staple of theirs. I literally go there specifically for their hollandaise sauce, as I'm sure many others do. I've personally never asked for the recipe but I know people who have and they were turned down.

OP, sounds like a mix, and since it's not a fancy place, they're probably not making it from scratch to order, and it's got some kind of mix component. Read this review
seriouseats.com/2010/03/mixed-review-knorrs-hollandaise-mix.html
Sounds what you described.

But, I make it a couple of times a year when the mood strikes me, and it's really not that difficult if you have a blender, and a nice spouted measuring cup to heat the butter in the microwave. Put the whole thing in the dishwasher when done
bonappetit.com/entertaining-style/holidays/article/watch-le-bernardin-s-eric-ripert-make-the-mother-of-all-sauces-for-mothers-day

What's the worst that could happen if you ask? They're not gonna ban you.

When I make hollandaise, I always brown the butter first, add the lemon juice to that, deglaze the pot a little bit, temper my yolks with the hot liquid a little bit at a time, and then just beat the crap out of it - a little bit of hot mustard powder, salt, and cayenne/smoked hot paprika if I've got it, and a good helping of black/white pepper... for all the cooking happening though, it's still reasonably bright.

>It tastes nothing like traditional hollandaise sauces. It's thick, dark, and super buttery. Doesn't even taste like eggs.
Same way hellman's doesn't taste like real mayo, heinz doesn't taste like real ketchup, and kraft doesn't taste like real mac n cheese?
Try the instant aisle.