Found a young doe at the side of the road and took it home...

Found a young doe at the side of the road and took it home, never cleaned an animal before but after watching a few youtube videos and spending a couple hours with a knife and a hacksaw I had freezer full of crudely butchered meat.

Tried it for the first time tonight, thawed one of the backstraps and pan fried it to medium rare.

It came out tough as fuck, the animal was really young, the whole piece of meat can't of been more than 8oz so I expected it to be tender but it took some serious chewing to get down.

Did I fuck up? Is this because it wasn't aged? At the videos and I have seen show people butchering and freezing the deer the same day they shot them.

If I had to guess I'd say it was the circumstances of the death. Being hit by a car can mean a whole lot of laying around by the side of the road bleeding to death and I've heard the longer it takes the animal to die the worse the meat gets.

Road kill is going to have some serious tissue damage which will definitely affect the meat.

It could also be you overcooked it. Having said that, was the carcass stiff? If so, you can't cook any of it in any manner other than well done. I'm not sure I'd really want to hold that meat in the freezer if rigor had set in.

Enjoy your sepsis

animals taste better the more painful their death
that is why the chinese boil dogs alive

That's not a doe.

>was the carcass stiff? If so, you can't cook any of it in any manner other than well done. I'm not sure I'd really want to hold that meat in the freezer if rigor had set in.

Still soft when I found it, started to stiffen up by the time I got round to skinning it an hour later. Why would I have to cook it well done anyway? It didn't last long when it got hit, side of the head was mush, front legs had been run over but the rest of the body seemed untouched, no damage to any of the guts or broken bones.

>It could also be you overcooked it

trying not to be offended right now

I didn't take photos at the time, it was kind of a traumatic experience, almost vomited when I opened it up, never smelt anything like it.

Not with deer. Adrenaline soaks into their muscles and guts and makes it taste off as well as tough. That's why you go for lung or heart shots. Big targets and they kill it quick. Heart's the perfect shot because once that goes, adrenaline doesn't get pumped to the rest of the body.

Adrenaline. Also, deer are hardy as fuck and weak as fuck at the same time. For all you know, it could've lay on the side of the road for hours before dying. Or it could've died of a heart attack seconds before getting hit.

Try doing it in the middle of winter. My first kill I strung it up before opening it up. That earthy and irony stench of blood and guts mixed with the steam from the melting snow DID make me puke. You get used to it.

Is it still alive?

He's just sleeping

>trips of truth
I'm relieved.

>Tried it for the first time tonight, thawed one of the backstraps and pan fried it to medium rare.
>medium rare
Bad idea. This thing was wild, you don't know the kind of parasites it may have come into contact with.

Try marinading it for a few hours before pan frying, or making slow-cook stews.

Deer are fucking assholes. They jump out in front of your car, trashing it if you're lucky, killing you if you're not. They come in and eat your yard. They get all mad and uppity and make those creepy huffing noises at you when you're just walking around minding your own business. When you try to make the best of the situation after they kamikaze you, they're all tough and stanky because fuck you.

That's some quality vegan doe you stumbled upon you lucky motherfucker

No kidding. Nice rack on it too. Somebody with a hacksaw would pull over grab it

A doe is a female deer. That's a buck (a male).

String it up in your bathtub and enjoy cleaning up 10 gallons of blood from your bathroom to save 20lb of salvageable meat

Venison is pretty tough. Look up some recipies. Slow cooker might be best with some onion and mushies.

You have to put meat in the fridge until rigor is over before freezing it.

Enjoy your parasite steak

what about headshots? shouldn't be even faster?

Like said, venison is usually tough. I'd marinate the meat first; below it's what I use, but you can look up whatever you feel like using.

White wine vinegar, 1/4 cup.
Olive oil, 1/2 cup.
Mashed garlic, two cloves.
Half onion, diced the smallest you can get.
Oregano, salt, ground pepper and marjoram to taste.

How to: just mix it in a bag, put the meat inside, close the bag and let the whole thing chilling overnight. Do not do it with the frozen meat, sometimes it makes the meat mushy - thaw the meat first.

Also, OP, props for not letting the meat go to waste. Just for safety, do NOT eat it rare or whatever, please do your body a favour and and eat it well done. You don't need aliens inside you.

1.smaller target and most people are crappy shots
2.tiiiny brains and not a guaranteed kill. Most likely you will blow the jaw off if you hit at all.
Heart and lung makes big and easy targets and guaranteed kill.

Nah it really depends where you end up hitting it. Its surprisingly easy to miss the parts that would diable the cns. You don't want him running off dying somewhere else, its also nice to try to kill them humanely

If you don't disrupt the brainstem, you risk getting brain matter into the circulation before the heart stops. Good way to get a prion disease.

I think pressure cooking the meat will make it tender. try that.

>kill
>humanely