NOW THAT'S A KNOIFE

Hey you cu/ck/s, I'm moving into my own place next week and am wondering what kind of all-purpose knife I should get, and also how to upkeep it well so that it's sharp.

Anyone know of any good santoku or chef's knife that will pretty much be used for 99% of my cooking prep needs?

I've been looking at pic related but holy shit 90 bucks is expensive. Any suggestions?

Knife and other essential cooking utensils thread, I guess.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-45520-Frustration-Packaging/dp/B008M5U1C2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479065670&sr=8-1&keywords=victorinox chef knife
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you're going Global, G2 or bust.

Ah, so are you in the Chef's Knife camp?

Also, do you suggest getting a sharpening rod and whetstone for upkeep?

I already have regular eating utensils, I'm just focusing on what I can use to cut and cook.

A lot of companies have "Commercial" or "Work" lines. They're relatively inexpensive, and a lot of times, the only real difference is the ugly yellow/blue/green plastic handle. Those that do use softer steel will need honing and sharpening more often, but I doubt you will work through a knife with standard home use.

muh wustof
muh victorinox
muh santoku
muh chinese cleaver

I have a cooking knife collection with over 60 chef's knives and my best knives on the inexpensive side are the Wüsthof Silverpoint series and the IKEA 365+ knives with the all-metal handle. For upkeep you will do just fine with a 1000 grit waterstone and a SMOOTH steel. Ideally you can deburr your edge after sharpening with a felt/cotton cloth buffing wheel or a leather strap. Also I recommend the www.kitchenknifeforums.com.

Are you being sarcastic?

I've used the first two of your "Muh"s in about half of the kitchens I've worked in (Nella being the other 50%).

Santoku knives are great for working with seafood, and Chinese cleavers make quick work of mincing and moving garlic, mirepoix, etc. If a person was going to be preparing mostly European meals, I'd recommend a proper cleaver and (French) chef's knife, but if they tend to stray East, the would do just fine with a moderately heavy Chinese cleaver for the superfine veg work, and occasionally dispatching tougher cuts of beef and bone-in poultry, and a santoku knife for the rest.

You're an idiot

90 bucks for a decent knife isn't really expensive. If you're really that poor get a victorinox or something.

I have the G-4 and it's kind of a compromise between a chef's knife and a santoku, worth every penny.

>Are you being sarcastic?

Isn't it obvious he's repeating the commonly recommended stuff that gets mentioned time and time again in any knife thread?

I'm personally not a fan of global knives. I get why people often like them- they're thin, light, and pretty sharp- but I find the handles a little too thin and they get slippery if they get wet.

As for shape, that's largely personal preference, but I find with santoku knives I miss having the fine tip point that you get with a chef's knife/gyuto generally.

If you're willing to spend 90 bucks on a global, I'd suggest ordering something like a Tojiro DP- VG10 is a better steel than what Global uses, and they're generally less money also. You can get the 210mm one (~8") on CKTG for $65.

I don't have one but the next piece of kitchen hardware besides a cutting block is a cleaver of some sorts.. I find my chefs knife doing the job but I like to chop and cook lots of veg at once so the blade on the cleaver would make it easy in one motion.. I also processed a while chicken and felt pretty nervous using my chefs knife.

Hmm, decisions decisions, I see...

I appreciate all the input.

That gyuto looks like a great compromise between a chef's knife and a santoku knife so I think I will be leaning towards that.

Global are the ugliest fucking knives ever conceived by man.

going through bones and joints, you want a proper, heavy, sharp cleaver. Use the chef's knife for finer details like slicing up the breast off the bone afterward.

I bought a cheap knife set from the grocery store and a 15 dollar sharpener and it's great. I sharpen them a little every time I use them and they get the job done like fucking magic.

Chef's knife is fine for joints, you never chop through bone in that case, just between the bones. If you're doing something like butterflying the chicken though where you want to cut the backbone out then for sure you want either a cleaver or shears.

>tfw just bought a Chinese cleaver
These things are the best for mincing

so you want some domestic knives huh
well there are a lot to choose from, and your personal preference is the most important thing

do you want a heavy knife (mundial) or a light knife (global)
or something inbetween?

what kind of blade profiles do you like?
what is your preferred handle material, style?

what kind of edge do you want?
single/double/offset (and how many bevels)

now depending on that, you pick your brand

and depending on your brand, you pick where to buy from
>buying anything with a 10 year lifespan from a store
if what you want turns out to be a common "trade knife", you are in luck
chefs look after their knives and there will be hundreds in pawn shops (from apprentices who didn't make it)
for instance I am a bit of a hawk and got a mixed set of butchers knives for 80$, with three globals, who mundials and a sundry of vitorinox'

you can also ASK A CHEF
chefs and knives are like motorheads and tyres, they accumulate many over time and seldom need them
they will cut you a fair deal, especially if you show some interest in cooking

>what kind of edge do you want?
single/double/offset

Kitchen knives only have edge.. and they shouldn't be offset.

victorinox pro chefs knife is what you seek. It's the only knife around the 50 dollar price point I wouldn't be ashamed to use.

amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-45520-Frustration-Packaging/dp/B008M5U1C2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479065670&sr=8-1&keywords=victorinox chef knife

Is their really much difference between say a 20$ knife and a 50$? What about a 50$ to a 100$?
Right now I'm using a shitty knife that came in like a 30$ knife block.

Love this knife.

The only blade you will EVER need in the kitchen is the Chinese Cleaver.

I just use butter knives for everything in my kitchen

Has anyone used knife like the ones on "as seen on tv"? How good are they?

Seriously? I need a curve to mince. Chinese vegetable cleavers are for cleaving. They're great for slicing, julienning, anything that works well with the knife going straight up and down. How the fuck are you mincing? What do you think mincing is?

GYUTO

Gyuto is life. Sujihiki is hometown.

Fuck man, Takeda gyutos are amazing. Love the height on them, and the performance is unreal. They're just so damn thin, I'm paranoid of wrecking them. I considered getting one as my work knife but I went with the Kujira instead.

There are double edged knives (western style), and single edged knives (traditional japanese style, only sharpened on one side). Offset I'm guessing means uneven bevel, so sharpened more on one side than the other but not 100% on one side like a yanagi or whatever.

Yeah, that's offset. It's like a compromise between the two. I've never quite understood why one or the other (or offset) really makes any difference. I think I read once that single bevel causes cuts to fall differently, or something.

Unless you are going to be cooking professionally, there isn't much point in getting like a Shun,Global, Mac, or Miyabi since you need to constantly upkeep it's quality by regularly using a steel (usually ceramic for higher quality knives). High quality knives also require a sharpening stone which will either be a water stone or require mineral oil. Either that or get it professionally sharpened, not with someone who uses an electric grindstone, either since it will wear down your knive's lifespan.
Most people just chuck their knives into the dishwasher anyway, which will dull the fuck out of your knife.
Stick with the 40 dollar Victorinox chef's knife or a brand with a similar quality.
They are softer steel which makes them easy to sharpen and are easily replaced.
8-10 inches should be just fine for length. Get either a sharpening steel or diamond steel for honing the edge and enjoy.

who are you fucks and what did you do with the good knife thread

is there a difference if I never use the knife for meat? just vegetables and general utility

Fug, this one has history and years of solid reviews.

On the other hand, it doesn't look like it's made of VG-10 steel, which is what I'm seeing is the standard of high quality for most knives.

On the other other hand, I'm literally a newfag at properly cooking for myself, so I suppose I don't need to go to fancy.

OP here.

How do you think this one holds up to the Victorinox? I probably want a larger knife since I'm a big guy (for you) but I'm not opposed to shelling out an extra $20 especially since I'm a weeb.

It also looks a bit sexier and has that G-10 handle that everyone seems to love.

>knives can't go in the dishwasher meme

Holy fuck do people still fall for this?

I bought a neat and cheap tojiro shiragami knife. It came with this little pamphlet. Is this showing cutting the handle down? It is excessively long, even if I don't pinch grip, but it seems weird.

Buy a good German chef's knife and be confident in the fact that you will have that knife for basically the rest of your life.

I love my opinel

dunno what Veeky Forums thinks of them though

They can. But it certainly wears heavily on the knife.

Handles will crack from the high heat over time. And have you noticed little rust spots on stainless blades after running through the machine? That doesn't happen from handwash only. I've heard it messes up the edge too but I don't know if there is truth to that.

I doubt a Fibrox is something one really has to give a shit about in that regard, but if you're going to buy something fancy like a Shun or whatever, it's not hard to take that extra care step of handwashing

That means hit the bottom. Maybe as a way for the blade to come back into the handle. Very common fix. Never had a loose hammer?