There hasn't been a great philosopher or writer in 100 years

>There hasn't been a great philosopher or writer in 100 years.

Is all hope truly lost? Has the internet and millennials literally destroyed ancient schools of thought and left us with hedonism sprinkled with nihilism? With nothing to strive for nor look forward to but a dumb pursuit of happiness? To build nothing and devote to nothing but temporary jobs and weekend get-togethers?

People who think the answer to life is happiness?

Is that all there really is to it?

define great philosopher

Clearly you haven't read my stuff

>Is that all there really is to it?

Kind of. Better get used to it or start planning to become a hermit.

What else do you want out of life other than happiness?

it depends on the definition of happiness.
The pursuit of truth can make a man happy

Idiot, the pursuit of truth is just a way to fill the void of happiness

Heidegger? Wittgenstein? The post structuralists? No great? Kek.

legacy.

something you millennials only heard of in television and assume it's some fictional concept not applicable to real life.

which is btw why ever since the 20th century no great poets or philosophers or writers or what have you have emerged. because nobody gives a fuck anymore about anything. TRULY gives a fuck, so much so that one devotes his entire being to it until there is nothing else left but the thing he's giving a fuck about.

it's all precautions on top of precautions nowadays.

people talking a lot but not saying anything.

i will fucking ENJOY seeing this retarded millennial generation grow up through their late 30s and 40s and eventually 80s. realizing that they had built nothing, that they cannot even cook a meal for their grandchildren because "cooking wasnt their thing desu", that they cannot even buy their own apartment because it costs too much and then they'll start blaming the "older generation" for fucking them over and the politicians and anybody besides themselves because this is the millennial way.

>we are not responsible for ourselves. the world should always cater to us. everything needs to be easier. its not our fault. wow that's edgy man. haha man you're religious? grow up already. wait man are you an atheist? nice fedora. havent you heard that it's cool to be spiritual now? wait a minute islam isnt that bad bro. what do you mean i should break my back working in a physical job? its not the 70s anymore man, i shouldnt need to work hard to accumulate a fortune, nice strawman you got there man, makes it easier for me to justify my literally pointless existence and lack of guidance in life because i have rejected every way of life besides that of my own. which is the pursuit of happiness. i will die broke and will probably be forgotten but at least i was happy. anyway, i'd rather live in the NOW and not in the yesterday or the tomorrow, that's what my favourite youtuber told me. i'll see you later.

This was pleasant to read.

Be the next philosopher or writer, then

yeah came here to say this

Go ahead and define truth then.

REI

You misspelled spook in your first line.

>Whining about millennials
Are you underageb&, old enough that it's sad you're still on Veeky Forums or a self-hating nu-male?

Straw Dogs by philosopher John Gray is a shocking and thought-provoking book.

>great
>value judgments
>preaching to the already converted
>2016

fag off.

>implying this man hasn't got it all figured out

That person isn't a philosopher, nor a Millennial.

I was responding to
>There hasn't been a great philosopher or writer in 100 years.
And as for
>That person isn't a philosopher
You just haven't been able to appreciate the philosophical ingenuity behind his work desu.

failed millenial detected

>What else do you want out of life other than happiness?

MONEY !!!
MONEY !!!
MONEY !!!
MONEY !!!
MONEY !!!

this tbqh

Fuck off, buffoon.

It is the very pursuit of happiness that thwarts happiness.

(1 person liked this)

Go back to Facebook statuses, faggot.

It really makes you think.

>That pathetic cliched attempt at gritty "you durn muhleniuls" tone

nice try failed memelenial

i see you've read infinite jest

>haha man you're religious? grow up already. wait man are you an atheist? nice fedora. havent you heard that it's cool to be spiritual now?
hypocrites.jpg

>nor a Millennial.
everyone born past 1985 is a millenial. a new generation classification hasn't occurred yet dweeb.

Holy shit you fucking dolt, do you honestly think people read Shakespeare or Cervantes back in the day and said "holy shit dude this is like the continuation of the canon, people will be studying these 700 years from now"?

We haven't even finished processing everything the 20th century produced, but you gotta be fucking kidding me if you think no great writer emerged during the last hundred years, specially in a board so focused on modernism like Veeky Forums.

I mean, you're either a complete retard who just dropped dadrock and still needs to complain about "people these days" or you're some ponce dreaming about a spiritual aristocracy that never was.

Honestly, do you think Joyce is just a "meme"? Or do you realize there are people right now dedicating their life's work to his oeuvre?

We have great philosophers living TODAY, you just didn't have the benefit of thousands and thousands of papers telling you they're great, and you're expected to go out and read journals and academic papers.

Fucking asshole.