Hey Veeky Forums I saw this image and figured you could help explain to me why Platos Republic on here...

Hey Veeky Forums I saw this image and figured you could help explain to me why Platos Republic on here? I can't seem to draw the parellel between Trump and the phlisopher king society Plato proposed.

bcuz its for smart ppl breh, just like suits n shit

Probably something like the tyrannical soul comes from a democratic society

Maybe you're putting more thought into it than the person who made it did.

Considering how deeply the Economist despises Trump, that's not unlikely. I expect this isn't a real image

It's anti-barbarian, protectionist, etc. Also, a fair amount of Trump supporters are altright or NRX and believe that there should either be way less democracy in USA or even some sort of monarchy/benevolent dictatorship. Checks and balances are seen as inefficient, one supreme leader, etc.

NRx supports Hillary

>Trump and the phlisopher king

Trump is probably exactly what Plato had in mind when he was talking about those guys.

You must be jesting, he's literally the next Hitler

How exactly?

Approximately 50% of economist articles per issue make some mention of how terrible a trump presidency would be

Well my first assumption was that the book was some sort of appeal to authority attempting to make Trmup supports out to be sophisticated/educated

le epic lmao meme

Probably more likely. I thought this was an anti-trump thing at first glance hence the tyranny part, but seeing it again it has an "educated" bias 4/7 are intellectual achievements.

The Republic could be used in both the anti-trump or pro-trump camps if you don't care about the content of The Republic.

Honestly, is this picture trying to make Trump supporters and their supposed traits look bad?

>business suit, which suggests that they have a job, a white collar one
>gym membership, which suggests they are fit and care about living a healthy life, thus allowing us to infer that they care about their diet and living a healthy lifestyle
>reads the bible, so they're not a degenerate menace to society
>reads Plato, which suggests that they are rational and logical people
>went to Yale, so they can't be as stupid as your average plebs
>reads non fiction
>reads the economist, which suggests that they are knowledgable about current affairs

Trump supporters seem like all around patricians if you ask me. What does that say about everyone else?

The only thing I can really fret about is that the economist is pictured instead of the WSJ.

Well it was posted by "chicago_conservative" so I think it's more trying to go LOOK AT HOW SMART WE ARE

Im confused as to how you arrived at the assumption that this was an anti Trump image. I can only assume you are trolling

And if you do care about the content?

Probably could quote mine for favorable results on either side.

I mean it's definitely a real image, user :^)

He's literally a would be tyrant.

No, it's trumpfags saying "look at all these smart people things if you like trump then you like these things too"

economist isn't pro-trump so I don't know where they're going with that one, I assume they just think of it as being for smart people even though they've never read it

I just am curious if people actually believe that a bunch of bad stuff will happen if he gets elected.
Not saying anything about Trump, but stuff like this is always the kind of thing people flip out about until it actually happens. Most presidents end up acting exactly the same once they get into office and if they don't then they just can't do anything at all.

Whether it's Trump, Bernie or Hillary doesn't matter because all the changes they make will just be on paper and for the average guy nothing will really be any different.

i hate modern life

Most philosophy goes eventually against religion, maybe the republic doesn't oppose it directly but I'm sure if you read plato enough
you won't care that much about the bible.

Besides the economist is an awful source on economics, source: I'm a finance student and I trade for a living.

Furthermore you shouldn't wear on your everyday life unless you're a lawyer, investment banker of someting of the like, nothing says I'm a pretentious faggot who doesn't know how to dress than wearing a suit when you shouldn't.(Unless you live like in monaco or something)

It's an unintentional joke.

>Most philosophy goes eventually against religion, maybe the republic doesn't oppose it directly but I'm sure if you read plato enough

You do realize that the time before you were born was very different right? I'm not talking some abstract deep time shit. I'm talking the 1980s we literally had our society split in two. A golden future isn't promised and very bad things can happen. Someone really can launch a nuclear weapon.

I'm not saying it will, but it's foolish to think things can't change in a moment for the worse.

>Most philosophy goes eventually against religion, maybe the republic doesn't oppose it directly but I'm sure if you read plato enough

The republic argues for an authoritarian aristocracy. I wonder if the author put it in intentionally or if he thought it was just a book for people.

For that matter Yale? American universities are completely liberal