So I got one nice ribeye (Prime!) and I am wondering if I should bother putting herbs in it or just garlic powder...

So I got one nice ribeye (Prime!) and I am wondering if I should bother putting herbs in it or just garlic powder, kosher salt, and pepper.

Please teach me how to cook it perfectly

Rib eye is full of flavour, so just season it heavily with salt and pepper. If you're wondering if you've sprinkled enough, you probably haven't. Garlic powder should be fine but I'm not sure how it holds up to high heat searing.

Cook it as high as possible, let your pan heat up for ages. Cook it for 3-6 minutes depending on thickness, flipping regularly, but you can just make a slight incision to check doneness. Add some butter 90 seconds or so before you're done, and baste with some rosemary.

Leave it to rest for at least how long it cooked for.

The garlic powder can burn, and though I like that, it is clearly bitter when you do that. When I have a really nice (thick) steak that is lovely and fatty like a lucious ribeye, I give it a 10 minute marinade with a rub of sea salt, coarse pepper, and olive oil. I might give it a splash of worchestershire or balsamic vineger if it doesn't clash with my sides. A really nice steak might have me buying some mushrooms to saute, some gorgonzola for the top, I might buy some kerrygold herb butter. Sometimes I use some Peter Luger steak sauce if I have some skirt steak, or I whirl up chimmichurri in the processor.

THE MARINADE IS COMPLETELY UNESSASARY BUT THE REST ISNT BAD.

Leaving salt on your steak like that will draw out moisture, making for a drier steak and a less effective sear. Unless you're going to marinate for an hour or more, you're better off seasoning right before you place it in the pan.

If you like garlic you're better off frying a few cloves of garlic alongside the steak and putting it on/rubbing it in slightly at the end. Plus you get to eat it at the end and it's delicious, trust me. Same with herbs, thyme or rosemary works well, fry them on the side and put the steak on top of them towards the end. This is definitely optional though.

Consider mushrooms as a side dish -- e.g. fried with shallots, goes really well.

This isn't actually true at all. You can actually salt roasts days before you cook them and it's similar with steak. This is one of those examples where something seems correct but it's actually exaggerated to the point of stupidity

>putting anything other than salt and pepper on a steak

That is just un-American

It's covered in olive oil, and it's literally only long enough to get the steak closer to room temp and to get the grill screaming hot.

I grill my steaks outside, and only rarely inside on a cast iron.

if it's like, flank or filet or something, then yeah, marinate that shit. Ribeye is both loaded with flavor and very tender. Hit it with salt and pepper and nothing else. Might not even need butter because it's already fatty.

I typically do salt, black pepper, and a little smoked paprika.
Sprinkle it on both sides and let it sit overnight.

Hence why I said
>unless you're going to marinate for an hour or more

I prefer to oil the steak, not the grill. Gets nice and crusty too, not just on the grill marks.

>frying garlic and herbs alongside your steak
Your garlic will be black after a minute and your herbs will be ash.

So, as a european,
and a cook ( as in professional),
whats up with you us guys and these things:
1. garlic powder, Instead of actual garlic)
2. KOSHER salt, ( instead of regular or fleur de sal, or just run of the mill sea salt- i get the thing about nice big crystals for texture... but why kosher?)

no

also you add them a bit later

I know Gordon Ramsay adds thyme and/or rosemary on his ribeye

I am really getting confused as to whats the best here, salt+pepper and thats it, or with anything else...

I like garlic powder as I feel more in control on how garlic-y whatever I am cooking

Kosher salt because it creates a nice crust in whatever I apply it to, unless I am baking with it obv

salt and pepper

mustard powder for something like a flank steak.

maybe herb butter on the final product, you can figure that out yourself tho. its easy

I think the name comes from it typically being used in the process of koshering (if that's a word hah), the salt itself is just, well, salt. Why it's so often listed in recipes where one would think the texture doesn't matter at all I don't understand either.

My friend pretty much only uses kosher salt in cooking, I think because he thinks it's fancy or something. Sometimes regular table salt is the way to go but he won't have it. Same guy wouldn't shut up about caramelized onions for like 6 months after he found out what they were.

lol @ cutting your steak to check doneness

After you season the steak, heat up the pan without any oil in it until it's really fucking hot. Make sure to let the steak sit until it's room temperature. Put the steak down in the dry pan for a bit until you get a good sear on one side, then add tallow/lard to the pan (Butter works and is a bit healthier but tallow/lard adds an amazingly meaty flavor) before flipping it and cooking the other side to however well cooked you want it.

The way I always cook steak is I salt it for at least an hour before hand. Heavy salt, and I wait until the moisture goes back inside and there's no visible salt on the surface.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees, let the cast iron grill pan sit on high for 8-10 minutes.

Then pepper the steak and sear it on both sides for thirty seconds. And I do the edges with tongs for about fifteen seconds.

Then into the oven for two minutes on each side.

Then rest 8-10.

Almost always comes out perfect medium rare, as long as the thickness is consistent. With creamy, buttery soft fat.

Do you guys bring your steak to room temperature before cooking? I have a thin ribeye (about 1" thick) so I thought it might be unnecessary, however if I dont I cannot render the fat effectively.

Also, is it just me but for some reason I cannot get a good sear on a NY strip no matter how I hot I get the pan.

Are you cooking it indoors? If so, pan fry each side med-high in olive oil for 2-3 mins.

Then put it into an oven preheated at 400° for 7 minutes for a medium rare steak.

>bake for 7 minutes

Dumb question I am the dude in , I have a thin steak, do I do this?

>what type of pan
>what type of range
>how thick is the steak

kill youreself

Yes, I do this with 1-1 and 1/4 inch petite sirloin steaks.

Cut into it a little bit around 5 minutes to make sure you don't cook it more than you want.

I was looking at the steak in his picture.

How the is the pan relevant as long as it's oven safe?

Making steak isn't rocket science, it's probably the easiest good food to make.

you are literally hyper retarded

>garlic powder

This is why the rest of the world hates Murrica

Go ahead and add some plastic cheese and wrap it in Bacon you piece of shit

>rest of the world hates Murrica

I have a suspicion they have different and better reasons than that.

Garlic powder is just garlic, nothing wrong with it

Jesus for fucks sake, why do people still use god damn OLIVE OIL for cooking steaks?

It's smoke point is so low you are goign to have burnt oil on your steak to get a proper sear

imo refined coconut oil is the best cooking oil

Olive oil is fine if it's not extra virgin. Not everyone wants to sear their steaks at 500 degrees.

sous vide for ~2 hours until its about 130, then sear 90 seconds on each side at about 1100, or high in a cast iron pan if you don't have a oven that goes that high or a blow torch.

you can use a regular cooler and zip block if you don't have sous vide equipment, look at the youtube videos, its as easy as boiling water, pouring water in the cooler, checking the temp, and then waiting.

Kosher salt is just a way to get the goyim to pay the jootax.

It's literally just regular salt that's been given the OK by some bignose.

Remember to cook it welldone or you might get worms.

All any meat needs is salt. Everything else is subjective.Never be shy with salt.

That's not what it means. All kinds of salt is kosher.

Just hit that shit with a bunch of Lawry's

Then use butter

grill that shit over hot coals or else it's a waste