Why is dentistry so obsessed with treating diseased mouths via patchwork methods like remineralization and temporary...

Why is dentistry so obsessed with treating diseased mouths via patchwork methods like remineralization and temporary sterilization, and mechanical cleaning? These only achieve a temporary halt in degradation that is presently taking place. They do not prevent future degradation, or remove the underlying cause of said degradation.

Why not focus on preventing oral disease in the first place via recommending a diet nearly devoid of cooked, soft carbohydrates and nearly all sugar, and prescribing oral probiotics such that pathogenic bacteria have a harder time infecting you?

Other urls found in this thread:

usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/06/tooth-decay-archaeology/4307319/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Then how will the jew make money?

>a diet nearly devoid of cooked, soft carbohydrates and nearly all sugar
What's the point of living if you're on that diet?

>What's the point of living if you're on that diet?
It's the diet humans ate for the vast majority of the time humans have existed; what's not to like?

Because it is a necessary side effect of life my friend.

Stop doing to fix .

Not a good idea. :^)

He would rather have a bunch of disgustingly sweet mushy junk that makes him unhealthy and feel terrible because he loves squirting liquid shit out his asshole every day and paying for constant oral procedures until they rip out his rotten teeth

We haven't had vaccines for the majority of the time humans have existed. Does that mean I should like not getting vaccinated?

Civilization was built upon cooked, soft carbohydrates.

More seriously, I'm sick of the meme that sacrifice in itself is morally virtuous. Sure, if you're sacrificing something for some other virtuous goal, then that's good, but if you can achieve the same goal without the sacrifice, all other things being equal, then that should be strictly better. Today your approach may be better for your mouth, but I'd still want a way to have good teeth and eat pasta.

That is literally the movement currently. But dumbass americans love their carbs.

We've always had immune systems though, and really vaccines are just assisting the immune system which we've always had and relied upon. Technically speaking the body immunizes us against infection all the time via the immune system, for all the time we've existed. We've just found a way to manually prompt this procedure in some cases.

We've also always had food. We just have tastier food now.
I mean, if you want to eat like a caveman for the rest of your life, go ahead. But I think I'll risk the very occasional dentist visit if it means eating more food that I enjoy.

And besides this, you're () strawmanning me. I'm not saying that our past diets were good because they were natural or whatever, but because they objectively resulted in a healthier oral cavity. Whatever produced such good results, for so long, clearly cannot be bad. I mean, we're talking a reduction in cavities by over 90%.

>It's the diet humans ate for the vast majority of the time humans have existed; what's not to like?
>I'm not saying that our past diets were good because they were natural or whatever
Well that's the message I got. Can you explain your point more clearly?

>Can you explain your point more clearly?
Sure. Animals typically have a usual diet, and when this has been in place for a long period they become adapted to this diet and come to depend on it for normal wellbeing, such that severe deviations from it cause negative health consequences. If an animal has flourished for a long time on a certain diet, that is strong evidence that said diet is safe or 'healthy' for said animal to consume. Or to put it another way, any behaviour which members of a species have all done for a long period of time cannot (/is very unlikely to) be overly harmful to said members.

This obviously doesn't preclude some other diet being better, though in this case I think you'd find evidence for said position to be scant.

I would still rather risk the occasional visit to the dentist for the increased quality of life that comes from eating nicer food. If you want to eat caveman food for the rest of your life, you're well within your rights to do so.

Well that's cool, but the purpose of this thread was not to ask you to consider changing your diet to have nicer teeth, because I don't give a fuck about you, but rather asking why dentists insist on ineffective care when better options exist

Look at it this way - if you were to go through with this, you would have to cut out alcohol AND coffee AND spicy food. The way my doctor put it when I asked him this question was, I can give you a pill for when youre about to do something real bad, and it'll ease the pain, or you can quit these three things forever.
>cut out literally cheese, pasta, wine, beer, coffee, Mexican food
Or
>live your life

I mean when he put it that way I realized that the whole
>my doctor only treats the symptoms and not the root problems
meme was bullshit and that medicine is an applied science like engineering. For the most part they really are just trying to help you to be human

Really the strongest argument against a hunter-gatherer diet is that if it were adopted en-mass like 95% of the world's population would starve to death

>Why don't dentists just insist that everyone go back to eating like it's the stone age?

>not an argument

Do you genuinely think insisting everyone eat like a caveman is a good strategy for dentists?

Well no, since it would reduce demand for their services by an order of magnitude.

>insisting everyone eat like a caveman
Also, you'll notice this was only part of my suggestion in the OP, the other being use of probiotics to compete with oral pathogens which cause the bulk of mouth disease.

You know, you do make a good point

Veeky Forums exposes dentistry, the long awaited sequel to Veeky Forums's brutal daily takedown of psychiatry.

At least dentists understand the cause of most of the diseases in their domain

You'd have to get rid of a lot of nuts and berries too.

One reason that your proposed diet wouldnt work is that it'd be impractical if everyone adopted it.

The food output is limited, moreso with meat.

If dentists started suggesting dietary restrictions around carbs the price of meat would start rising too fast for my wallet.

usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/06/tooth-decay-archaeology/4307319/

Because $$$

Ask any dentist if they will add another layer of sealant (dried with that UV light) to your teeth and they will say no, even if the last time you got this procedure was 20 years ago.

Also why don't they use cloned teeth to replace missing teeth now? This technology has existed for years.

>One reason that your proposed diet wouldnt work is that it'd be impractical if everyone adopted it.
That's a good point. They could still recommend a primarily meat-based diet for patients with particularly bad dental problems or history thereof. And they probably should.

What's the problem with coffee?

> Also why don't they use cloned teeth to replace missing teeth now? This technology has existed for years.

Presumably because that would be expensive as fuck and if they did you morons would carry on about >le happy dentist

causes staining but idgaf

coffee is life

>Why not focus on preventing oral disease in the first place via recommending a diet nearly devoid of cooked, soft carbohydrates and nearly all sugar
Because people wouldn't remotely listen, and you'd be actively working to destroy your own relevance. Dentistry relies on cash flow from maintenance and superfluous imaging.

Coffee is garbage.
Just eat powdered guarana seeds.

don't go to jewish dentists then

Nice try Goldstein.