What is the deal with melted cheese? why is everyone so obsessed with it?

What is the deal with melted cheese? why is everyone so obsessed with it?
i can't watch cooking videos of pizza or sandwiches because they always have that nasty "cheese bridge" shot
people making lasagnas will cut a piece and pull it up and show you the greasy, pale cheese-strings dripping down from it

I just think it looks really disgusting. I can't understand why even professional chefs insist on including it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JrMZeVr6cuw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

because most people find melted cheese delicious.

what about other forms of cheese? do you have an aversion to that as well, or just when it's melted? does this trigger you at all?

youtube.com/watch?v=JrMZeVr6cuw

This bitch don't know about #cheesepulls

Go suck yourself

cheese is delicious, but deadly. I don't eat the stuff, myself.

i feel sorry for americans having to endure the processed yellow artificial '''cheese'''' which they obviously seem to enjoy.

if only they tried the real thing

The cheese has been hollowed out by a mouse. Why didn't Tom just throw it out?

I bet this was hilarious in your head

No, it just makes sense.

Part of the point of American cheese is that it melts well. Even just a little heat turns it into cheese sauce. So while it's a shit table cheese it's excellent for melting in situations where a mild cheese is desirable. It's not good cheese by any means, but it has it's uses. Even Ludo Lefebvre loves the stuff.

>adding annatto to cheese makes it "artificial"
>adding annatto to cheese for the purpose of imitating a color that English cheddar used to be famous for makes it somehow inferior

Is being European literally equivalent to down syndrome?

It's similar to the Dunning-Kruger effect.

>the TV tells me Americans are stupid
>I'm not American
>therefore everything I say must be smart

Op here

I like cheese, but looking at the display most food videos put up with the whole "DRIPPY, MELTY, FLOWING CHEESE STRANDS OF THE ALMIGHTY CHEESE WATERFALL, BATHE IN CHEESE OR GET GOING" makes me throw up

I think it's because of cultural associations with luxury. It takes a lot of milk to make a little cheese, and many of the most desirable cheeses also require long aging, which also adds to their cost. And traditional meals involving melted cheese were often eaten by the uber-rich. Raclette and fondue are apres-ski meals served in Alpine chalets and fancy hotels. Ski holidays in the Alps are not for the common man.

But in America milk is cheap, so cheese is cheap. And in typical American fashion we go apeshit with the stuff because it's a luxury the common man can afford. We do the same thing with beef.

Thats a real neat idea but I think it's just because it looks like yellow slime

Part of the reason yellow slime cheese is the standard is because for a while in the middle of the 20th Century it was the only cheese that was legal to sell in America.

i think youre over analyzing it

Maybe so, but I do think most people find melted cheese adds a luxurious element to a dish. A cheeseburger is more luxurious than a hamburger. American lasagne is more luxurious than spaghetti and meatballs. A croque Monsieur is more luxurious than a simple tartine. Someone used to American chain pizza will find Italian pizza kind of spartan due to is relative lack of melted cheese. Nachos are m,ore luxurious than salsa and chips. Panini sandwiches are more luxurious than cold subs.

Melted cheese definitely adds to the perception of luxury in a dish, even a shitty dish.

>The US has great land for livestock
>this causes them to have a lot of lifestock-based cuisine
>mostly meat and cheese instead of the soup-and-veggies based european cuisine
>the US becomes a thriving and rich nation
>their cuisine is seen as rich people food
>soup, veggies and bread (being what all of europe eats every day) is seen as poor people food
>americans see corn (uncooked, just corn) as food for animals while we europeans eat corn every day
>americans see grains as food for animals while we europeans eat just straight-up grain often
>our food is seen as even poorer because americans think we eat like livestock because we are so poor

I think you have some of that backwards. Americans eat sweet corn as a vegetable pretty commonly, whereas it's uncommon in Europe.

The real reason cheese has gotten everywhere in American cuisine over the last few decades is because our government heavily subsidizes the dairy industry (and determines prices and quotas), and milk drinking has been in decline. That surplus milk gets made into cheese.The government dairy board then encourages chain restaurants to use more cheese. That's how it ends up stuffing pizza crusts and in Cheesy Gordita Crunches. We have a glut of cheap cheese that isn't all that tasty but happens to melt pretty well. So melted cheese ends up going on pretty much anything.

Because it looks like... you know...

It's a commercial gimmick to make you buy it, they heavily use sexual imagery.

I'm norwegian, and when I went to the states that's what I was told. I tried adding uncooked corn in things like salads and was told that it was food for horses?

Boiled corn eaten off the cob with butter is classic American summer food. And while canned sweet corn is kind of a poor person cliche it's still commonly eaten. We don't eat it raw, but we sure as fuck eat it.

I'll admit I might be biased after my trip to the states. I had trouble finding food that I could eat without serious stomach problems.

I'm not allergic against anything and I handle spicy food well, but american food was just... Heavy? I felt full so quickly, and after eating like my host family for a couple of day I just had no energy and felt bloated all the time.

It's a lot of boiled and salty things, and trying to find actual bread was a struggle.

>american food was just... Heavy?
No doubt. Why do you think Americans have a problem with obesity? Why do you think immigrants arrive here skinny and proceed to fatten up as they adopt American eating habits?

When I hit middle age a lifetime of eating a pretty typical American diet caught up with me. I was 65lbs overweight. Today I manage to stay trim by cooking most of my own meals (mostly vegan) and only eating typical American style meals when I go out to eat and at family celebrations. And I do feel seriously weighed down after eating those kinds of meals.

Food here is cheap, so people tend to go in for large portions of rich foods. I've been to Denmark and seen what food costs there. I'm guessing few people there could afford to eat like Americans on a day to day basis even if they wanted to.

For a family of four to go out and get a 200g cheeseburger with fries each, it would cost roughly 460kr, or 52 dollars.

That trip really changed my perspective on food. I grew up jealous of the american people I saw on TV that went every single morning to get coffee and a cute coffee shop, and ate lunch and dinner prepared for them out. That's the height of luxury over here.

Now I appreciate the fact that my family had to cook all meals at home every day.

The price we pay for the luxury of cheap food is with our health, because the quality of most of it is pretty poor. And our concept of how we ought to be eating is all fucked up, which is why every few years there's another stupid health food fad. We're to the point where most of us have absolutely no concept of what a healthy diet is.