ITT: Worst family recipes we got fed when we were kids

I don't remember what my mom called this I think she just called it "Cabbage"

Basically you chop up a cabbage.
Then boil it in milk
Then add ice cream(yes I shit you not)
Then add bacon
Then crystallized ginger

Then you just let it boil

It was the most disgusting fucking thing I think I've ever set eyes on.

What about you?

My mother had a couple depression era dishes she tried to pass off on the family when I was very young. Here's the worst:

Canned salmon casserole
Drain a can of salmon. Mix in a bowl with a little chopped onion, celery, a couple eggs, white bread soaked in milk, salt and pepper. Stir until it's an even consistence, put in buttered casserole dish. Top with breadcrumbs and bake.

It comes out like a fishy bread pudding. Truly a horror.

>Canned salmon
>Ever

Christ if you want to preserve salmon you smoke it. what were they thinking.

Uh, they lived in the midwest when you didn't have fresh fish you could smoke flown in everyday? And salmon smoked to the point of preservation w/o refrigeration shipped from great distances would have been costly?

My grandmother was from Philly, but back in the time when the biggest hot new trend in food was frozen food. Out of season fresh food didn't exist. You used canned everything or splurged for frozen.

As for smoked salmon that's always been a luxury food. I'm sure my poor grandmother never even tasted it. Canned salmon was a cheap protein that could feed a large family on a working class salary at a time when fresh food was much less common than it is today. Plus they were Catholic, so fish on Friday was a thing back then.

Mom used to cook a bunch of hamburger meat and dump a tub of sour cream in it, no seasoning. She called it meat cream.

one time I spent the day at my aunties house and she made us some lavender chicken (it was delicious btw) and when I told my mom about it she called her in a rage for feeding me seasoned food

so that pretty much sums up my childhood eating experience

>white women

Here's a bit of 1960's grimness my mother probably found in a trashy women's magazine:

Spam and pasta casserole
Fry cubed Spam with onions. Dump in a jar of Ragu sauce. Pour over a pound of cooked, drained pasta shells in a casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with grated cheese from green Kraft can. Bake.

Sad thing is I loved this as a kid. Kids have horrible taste.

Doesn't sound that bad.

Not exactly a "family recipe" but my mum once made a pasta bake with condensed milk instead of evaporated milk.

She insisted that it tasted fine and that it was how it should be, but the rest of us knew something was very wrong. We had to eat the leftovers the next day.

It's a study in sugar, salt, fat and simple carbs.But really it's a waste of pasta.

You loved it because it was pure sodium. The quality of ingredients are negligible. You could have made that same type of casserole with higher quality ingredients, and the result would be the same: a salty mass of warm goop. It's easy to see why that's an enjoyable food for humans.

The point is starting with better ingredients you can strike a similar balance of salty-goopy with much nicer flavors. This particular combination tasted really trashy, I just had no reference point for that as a kid because I hadn't yet tried better.

>when I told my mom about it she called her in a rage for feeding me seasoned food
What the fuck
why

my mom used to eat sardines and cheese wiz on bread

she never fed it to us kids though, she was generally a decent cook

>meat cream

I don't want to believe this.

Some of these make sense, especially from an extreme poverty standpoint, but this is just nasty,

Yeah, we weren't poor. It was just disgusting.

RED BUNNY

>Melt kraft singles
>Mix with canned tomato soup
>Splash of milk

Spoon very thick cheesy tomato soup on saltine crackers

Served at least twice a week.

>meat cream

are you sure that wasn't a euphemism for something else?

Hamburger Pie:
>ground beef
>a roux
>mix it
>let it cook

my mom should be arrested for putting us through this

Funnily enough boiling cabbage in milk is actually a good idea as it sweetens the cabbage during cooking.

i'd eat that, sounds p good

i like smoked kippers and hot sauce on rye toast myself

It's not that bad and doesn't taste too bad either, but considering how fucking unhealthy it is, I can't believe I didn't die from a heart attack at a young age.

My mother made what she liked to cal "ghoulash"

The recipe has been tweaked over the past few years but usually it's made with 2 cans of cream of chick, 2 cans of cream of mushroom, and a pint of sour cream

>cook ground beef until it won't immediately kill you
>add the two creams together
>let simmer for a while while stirring
>throw in pint of sour cream just before serving
>over a spaghetti noodles

I changed the recipe to add linguini, reduce the amount of creams used, and added green onion, red and green peppers, onions and mushrooms sauteed before mixing with ground beef

but that shit is still a heart attack in a can.

>ghoulash
>over spaghetti
what the fuck, where is that name even from? has it anything to do with gulasch? obviously not from the ingredients. i'm stomped

>2 cans cream o chick
>2 cans cream o mush
>pint of sour cream
>linguini

I'll take things that don't belong in goulash for $1000

Oh, I promise you I am not defending that recipe.