Let's try this again...

Let's try this again. Apparently these women calculated trajectories for the Mercury/Apollo missions (also they're making a movie of them, hence pic related). What exactly does that entail and was it important or not? Woman on the left is named Katherine Johnson, if you want to wiki for more details.

I'm just trying to understand their actual contributions.

Other urls found in this thread:

crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/historic/Katherine_Johnson
youtu.be/RK8xHq6dfAo
ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19780019195.pdf
ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19720016015.pdf
ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19980227091.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They were calculators.

Doesnt take a genius to use a slide rule and know parametric equations.

>these women calculated trajectories for the Mercury/Apollo missions
Did the calculate it by themselves ?

One of them wrote a foundational paper for computational methods in astronomy as a result.

What is this, anyway? Some poorly veiled attempt to discredit some old black ladies because somebody acknowledged work they did? Are you really that insecure?

You have to understand that during that time

I would the one in the middle

It's actually a thinly-veiled attempt at the exact opposite, employing the Internet Law of Productive Contrarianism.

But really I did want Veeky Forums's take on what they were doing. Wiki says they performed calculations sent from engineering, were they literally human calculators for everything the engineers couldn't do in their heads?

Would this thread exist if they were white men? Of course not.

Good for them.

If the movie isn't a documentary it will probably be boring.

yeah, bottom right? I feel ya there

Plenty of white people have articles on Wikipedia for things that sre much less impressive.

I'm in love

Janelle Monae

No, they were computers. NASA hired women to basically sit in a room and crunch numbers together.
They didn't calculate anything new, the just did the actual arithmetic. It's an important job, but not some major scientific procedure.

The trailer seems to be implying that they did calculate something new.

>not knowing this already
>making a movie about it

Why is this significant? NASA is a meritocracy. Of course people who work there are going to be doing shit like this.

I love grandmas too

They were very important and in fact there are plenty of stories of these women that did calculations finding errors and flaws in the more respected scientists' calculations and bringing them to them to correct. However, because they were women they were not given the appreciation or recognition they deserved.

The trailer starts off with one of them as a little girl rattling off basic geometric terms. This is supposed to signal to the audience that she is some kind of genius. Sound like what dumb people think smart people sound like.

They were a bunch of highly trained apes. Women excel at rote work. It's innovation that they have no capacity for.

They were more than just calculators, they also formulated mathematical methods for calculating trajectories and methods to determine the position of a spacecraft:
crgis.ndc.nasa.gov/historic/Katherine_Johnson

TL;DR some of them were applied mathematicians

Back in the day human calculator was an actual career path that mainly employed women. Much of our mathematics education system is still built around the idea of training people to mindlessly perform computations quickly.

That said, these women weren't just human calculators.

lul you are one isolated angry dude

If we found his profile on any social media he would have TRUMP 2016, PROUD WHITE MALE MRA in his description.

what have you innovated

have you even done anything to qualify as a highly trained ape

WE WUZ CALCULATORS N' SHEEEIITTT

Well pretty much everyone is a trained ape when you get down to it.

>Plenty of white people have articles on Wikipedia for things that sre much less impressive.

But do they have movies made about them?

Well, there was that movie about that retarded White guy who went biking in the desert even though everyone told him it was a bad idea and then a rock fell on his arm and he had to cut it off with his credit card.

I'm still not sure why he became famous.

Imho, these women were noteworthy, but you know this movie will trivialize there successes in order to portray white people as systematic oppressors. This film will shed a destructively green light on them.

Pathetic, get out of stem

This argument is meaningless. Get out of stem.

Absolutely. The people who aren't monkey see monkey do are in textbooks.

>was it important to know the trajectories
>for the Mercury/Apollo missions
What do you think?

Aww, did I struck a nerve? This board is not an echo chamber to feed your delusions.

No problem with this movie, its looks like it'll be written and promoted with a little too much "take THAT, white/men!!", that said id much prefer a movie about the ethical struggles nasa had dealing with the paperclip nazis.

Impressive, i didnt know women could do math in general.

WE

Didn't some mathematician teach his mother to do calculations for him so he didn't have to waste his time on them?

Why isn't there a movie about her?

>3rd african american woman to get phd in math

and just look at the progress we've made since then lol! thanks to affirmative action programs, universities graduate female african american math phds by the boatload.

Nigga whuttt
How many thread in this shifty board eternally suck von newman dicks
------------> here is the door

You're clearly too stupid to get a rise out of me

I hope they don't go too extreme with it. I mean, it's no doubt they would have faced hate/doubt/ from their white co-workers or overseers in such a time.

lol, you're pathetic

>Get out of stem

Get out of stem

*tips fedora* Nice meme, friend. Make sure to stockpile them to keep your Autism from triggering.

The first "programmers" were also women. At the time what they did was considered very important but still something which a good secretary could learn to do.

I hope this movie doesn't try to compare them to the male scientists they worked for, nasa was crawling with geniuses at the time. Theres no reason this can't be an inspirational movie about a bunch of nasa secretaries who just happened to be black women. The behind the scenes perspective these women would have had during apollo 11 would be an incredible movie without playing the race and gender card.

Oh, its gunna play the race and women card. If they do just enough, itll make the movie good, but if they do what hollywood has been doing for the last decade, itll be the focus.

Just watch the trailer. It's 120% black sass showing that whitey in command would be helpless without them.

Back then using those first primitive computers and doing calculations was considered a woman's job.

youtu.be/RK8xHq6dfAo

>muh white oppression
>muh racist cops
>muh strong independent black woman
>muh equality
>muh struggle
>"we aint there because we wear skirts. We're there because we wear glasses."
>little 2nd grade black girl spontaneously proving algebra, not solving it, after just naming shapes
>we wuz kangs!!!

wow this movie looks shitty, don't plan on seeing this.

>>spontaneously proving algebra
wtf are you talking about she's just finding roots of a wicked simple equation, she gets first two roots right (1 and -7) i can't make out the bottom half of the board but should simplify to 2(x+1/2) and (x-3) to get -1/2 and 3 for the second two roots.

Actually maybe I will watch the movie just to see if she gets the last two roots right, the suspense is killing me.

Why are blacc women so smart, Veeky Forums?

from the nasa archives, papers she worked on
ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19780019195.pdf
ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19720016015.pdf
ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19980227091.pdf

The audience isnt going to see algebra. Most of the audience wont know what to do with x. She is solving proofs of algebra to the audience. You and I know better, but the audience doesnt.

katherine johnson co-authored quite a few papers, every one of them she worked with Harold a. Hamer, Hamer has written quite a few more reports and is the sole author of some, so he is clearly in the higher pay grade. It looks like this Harold Hamer probably specifically asked her to work with him.

Johnson was a research mathematician by training and graduated college at age 18 with a degree in math and french, looks like she took graduate level classes at West Virginia University but never completed a doctoral program.

This is no secretary, and clearly was a child prodigy especially in math. However it doesn't appear that she was made co-author for discrimination reasons, Hamer was a top tier engineer or scientist at langly research center who got shit done but he doesn't even get a foot note on johnsons wikipedia page let alone have his own page. Yes the papers she worked on are technically quite advanced even by engineering standards, but this is nasa's bread and butter and advanced math skills are expected of all scientists and engineers who work there. Her contributions were far above the level of any average secretary, and she was probably quicker at performing calculations than the average engineer at nasa, but she had not been a black woman nobody would give a shit about her.

Not saying she shouldn't be celebrated, black children need inspirational role models as much as white children. Young children especially are not color blind and knowing that a black woman like her could contribute with the engineers at nasa, is a great motivator for some kids. Although realistically she looks more mixed race, but i'll let /pol argue about IQ and skin color correlations. She was smarter than I am, I would never get hired at nasa even as a research assistant.

I wouldn't believe this even if it was true, but it's not.

>science and math
>lets talk about these women coz they're black

get this garbage out of here

That was a question, not an argument, you dumb ape.

You can use an question to assert an argument. The question had an obvious answer, but the question has been asked to make a point.

>dumb ape
(You)

For 127 reasons, user.

>my negras

>MRA
you tried

lel, my thoughts, but more violent at the end