What fictional depiction of aliens is the most realistic from a scientific point of view...

What fictional depiction of aliens is the most realistic from a scientific point of view? If you were in charge of creating them, how would they look like? If aliens exist, do they look more like those species from Star Wars, Xenomorph, worm-or-insect-like creatures, greys or are they humanoid?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleic_acid_analogue
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There is 100% no chance actual space faring aliens wouldn't basically be humanoid.

Depends entirely on the terrain, gravity, planet composition and atmosphere they evolved in. The one thing we would expect to see is that they are carbon-based and have DNAs.
Other than that, they can have extraordinary anatomies. Definitely not the no-imagination-human-knockoff humanoid type aliens that hollywood comes up with in every movie.

>The one thing we would expect to see is that they are carbon-based and have DNAs.
How so? Beings made of different atoms or even neutrinos are not possible to exist?

see

We have no goddamn idea what exactly alien life might look. We really don't, we can extrapolate based on the life we've seen but we have no idea what other forms and compositions it might actually take in reality.

What other atoms can form complex molecules at moderate temperatures?

Species from Mass Effect are pretty believable, especiallyTurians and Quarians who are both Dextro Amino Acid based.

Except Assari. They were clearly made to appeal to geeks as the 'blue-skinned sexualized hot babes'.

Not to create organic structures with any limbic systems. You pretty much need the C,H,O and N anywhere in the universe for the basis of organisms. It's been speculated that a silicon based organism can exist as well but it would have to be a much more special case.

Silicon? Sulfur? Metal-oxide?

Not really, no.
Maybe Silicon at very low temperatures

>"moderate temperatures"
No matter how hard you retards try you just can't fucking think outside the anthropic box.

I just understand some things about chemistry. But feel free to correct me by describing a lifeform that isnt carbon based

Even if life could form with silicon or even heavier elements, it might be too early in the universe to know. As the universe gets older, the metallicity increases. It could be possible to have complex systems with metal-oxides, but there just isn't enough metal in the universe to give a definitive answer.

>But feel free to correct me by describing a lifeform that isnt carbon based
You're doing it again.

How do we know it'll be DNA and not some other information molecule?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleic_acid_analogue

Pretty much this The one thing that we could plausibly expect is for most Ayys that we could interact with meaningfully to have their roots in a self replicating polymer.
Most Ayys in TV and movies are humanoid because that's an easy shape to work with, you can get an actor and just tack new parts on them and bam, you've got an Ayyylien. In reality nonterrestrial life would be adapted to suit whatever environment they live in.

Well i think there are designs which are universaly useful. For example it would be advantegous for marine alien to develope fins or tentacles

>how do they look like
Russian detected.

>two negatives
>actual, basically (weasel words)

I totally agree.

In addition I'd say that considering how almost every land and flying animal have limbs, any advanced organism will have to develop efficient limbs to manipulate the objects around them. So thats also one of the things we can expect.
And yes a marine animal would probably develop ways to swim fast and perhabs grab stuff. The octopi can craft the objects around them to use as shells and proection to a degree.

I think the marine animals don't have limbs like we do is that limbs are inefficient in water. You don't need to climb or hold things or pick up stuff. You just need fast-flapping fins to dash to any direction in water and a sharp set of teeth to prey. So I believe any water alien we're going to find will have similar characteristics to our marine animals and their tools of survial.

hydrogen based sentient cloud organism

well, do it faggot.

we already know wwhat aliens look like. they have been visiting us for decades.

I've read some shit lately, some research into physiology of the brain - that stated how it went from fractal patterns ( which are meet in animal kingdom ) to self-organized topography that's unique and the result of pure chance which most likely lead to consciousness.

If that shit was so improbable and rare, there's a huge chance that life could be possible but the chance of consciousness arising being very small to as probably as inflation was given quantum fluctuations.

>If you were in charge of creating them, how would they look like?
Single-celled extremophiles.

I was going to say the Yautja, or Predators or whatever they're called. But then I remembered that reptiles are stupid, and devote their lives to crawling around towards sources of heat....they won't be able to make laser guns or space ships.

Insects like those in Starship Troopers are unlikely because exoskeletons don't scale up well on worlds with higher gravity.

>all those floating spooky tentacled aliums
How do they float? Why would something evolve like that?

>muh rock aliens because it's a new world with things we've never seen before!
That doesn't make sense.

>TFW Vulcans aren't as absurd as you once thought

I had dismissed them because I thought that make up and rubber ears was a cheap and lazy SF special effect, but the humanoid shape is efficient and reasonable on Earth-like worlds....

This is probably what we will encounter first. Sorry, probably no humanoids for a couple more centuries.

>Vulcans aren't as absurd
They are absurd. Humanoid shape aliums does not mean identical. Look at hummingbird moth and hummingbird for an example.

>But then I remembered that reptiles are stupid, and devote their lives to crawling around towards sources of heat.
That alone ought to drive them towards creating technology in order to combat the cold.

>On a world far away beyond the stars, a reptile discovers fire.

The one in "The Andromeda Strain" (1971)

Very true.

This pleases Huitzilopochtli.

fuck marry kill: biologist edition

Yeah, but Reapers don't make sense at all

They are mechanical, not a biological specie