Besides reading/writing, what are your hobbies Veeky Forums? How they help to make you a better person?

Besides reading/writing, what are your hobbies Veeky Forums? How they help to make you a better person?

I have a job as a cashier
I listen to music a lot
That's about it

music and film

Video-games, climbing, HEMA, drawing very badly. Haven't been able to climb or HEMA for a while, though, because of exams.
>better
S P O O K Y

Lifting, playing music, painting.

I'm ubermensch.

Oh, and I play the clarinet, also very badly.

Do Veeky Forums count as reading/writing?

I go to underground bdsm clubs, I hold satanic masses, I fuck a lot of beautiful men and women, I travel around the world, I hold bon fires at my cabin in the dense woods, I'm also a writer, musician, and engineer for nasa.

>656
So near, and yet...

Starring into the ceiling due to overwhelming crippling angst
Watching cat videos
Ignoring my econ studies

>help to make you a better person?
what does this mean?

>Ignoring my econ studies
Sound decision.

It means he's one of those "I'm always looking to better myself" nu-male-in-denial faggots.

I count tea as a hobby, since it takes up a lot of my life and I do a lot of peripheral things related to it (like collecting teaware).

I quilt, which gives me something to do at work and also makes me feel very productive. I fold paper for the same reason; most origami makes for good cat toys too.

I play board games by myself, which doesn't really make me a better person, since I had planned to play them with other people, but I haven't got to the "other people" part yet.

During the season for them, I go to the opera and the symphony fairly often. Probably that was my best step for improving myself, as it gets me out of the house and experiencing high emotion.

Also, I collect a whole lot of things--books, teaware, fountain pens, guns, dinosaurs, etc. They make my apartment look nice at least. I do some interesting things monthly that aren't quite full hobbies, like going to the rock climbing gym, brewing a small batch of beer and target shooting at the range.

Really into music (go to a decent number of concerts)
Film/series
Poker
Lifting
Occasional vidya

Note how all of those are solitary. Some of those do make me a better person I guess but that's not why I do them

fitness

a bit of chess though I don't know what the 'starting with the Greeks' or 'Starting Strength' is for Chess so I just play some puzzles and sheeiiit.

Also the ordinary like football/sports, or hanging out with friends and have a beer or two.

I also watch lectures on the Internet for fun because I'm too poor to go to school. Somebody shoot me.

Woman leave

Did someone here quit videogames? How doing this made an impact on your life?

I didn't quit but I drastically reduced the amount I played. For a while I was staying up all night til like 4-5 in the morning playing so now my sleep is a lot better. It depends on how addicted you are but I think it's easier to reduce the amount you play rather than completely quit. Limit yourself to a couple of hours, don't play every single day and you should be fine.

OP here. You look like a pretty awesome guy, user. Would gladly play some Eldritch Horror with you

I have been sort of (embarrassingly) collecting books, lately. I have a big shelf full of ones on my to read list, so that way when the urge to read strikes, I have a lot of options and therefor are more likely to read something. I also spend a lot of time looking up reading material.

I spent my youth playing cello, growing up in a sail boating community, skiing, playing sports. I don't really care about any of that now. I hated the kids at the sailing camp I went to, they weren't even nice to me. Skiing is a bit out of the way and there's no big hills where I live. I just don't have the energy to care about something like playing music, although I tried to get into playing guitar for a while and tried to write my own music by collecting a bunch of instruments (I have my grandma's old electric piano, a fender bass and guitar, and an electronic drum kit, as well as music making software). I also collect a lot of music CDs.

Now a days I don't do anything. I'm unemployed, I live in an apartment which is paid for my by parents. I tried going to college 3 times, each time dropping out within a semester because the stress became unbearable. I find a classroom setting to be painful, prickly boredom. I spend all my time alone in my apartment. I have no friends, I've never had sex, the only people I talk to are people on Veeky Forums, several other websites I go to less often, and the maybe 5 people who I talk to every once and a while online.

(1/2)

Painting, music, board games, collecting perfume, pens and notebooks, petting animals.

Really though, living alone for a year and a half and having no responsibility saved my mental state. Pressures and responsibilities of living with my parents and so many years of school really destroyed my mental health. I was not in a good place the last few years, and I blame society and everyone else around me a lot for all of it. Having all this time to myself, as well as having complete control over my diet has saved my mental health in a dramatic way. Now a days though, I just can't help but think about all the things I have missed out on in life, like being active, having friends, having love interests, getting on a path to a better career (which is one prospect I find so bitter sweet and insulting, insulting to imply that such a thing even matters).

I've always imagined that I had potential of some sort. When I was very young I used to love drawing, I used to always be making and inventing things with random household items. When I grew up I wanted to be an engineer. I was tested to have a relatively high IQ, over 110. However, as the years went by I started to feel that all my energy was sapped from me. As I began to come to terms with the world around me, somewhere along the line I lost all my motivation to really do anything. I believe that it was because of so many years of school. I remember the feeling of being a small unathletic and skinny 10th grader, dragging myself across the wall to walk to my next class, feeling so absolutely drained of my will.

So, I think of my life so far as a rather tragic one, and to be honest I feel like a bit of a broken record going through all of these details so much. I feel like I'm always repeating myself, always playing that same sad song on my tiny violin. I sort of sicken myself for it actually, but I spend a lot of time these days just feeling sick, mentally sick. It's sad when you feel that there's nothing left inside of yourself.

(2/2)

Natural bodybuilding and reading are probably my only ones left. I used to love to smoke weed, play video games and shoplift but those don't make me happy anymore.
>Did someone here quit videogames?
Don't play much video games since I was 15, 18 now.
>How doing this made an impact on your life?
I now have more free time that I would have otherwise spent on video games. If you have more than 1000 hours accumulated on DotA or CS or something then it is a good sign that you should quit playing video games and pick up a more productive hobby.

You sound like the kind of disgusting "proper woman" archetype you find in shitty Nip dating sims.

Thanks, OP! I don't own Eldritch Horror, but I do have a lot of two-player games. Just recently got Kodama and Arboretum.

Including the guns and beer? It's more of the poor person's stereotype of what a rich person acts like, probably. I grew up very poor.

I will be your friend user; your post really depressed the fuck out of me because in the past I was pretty similar to you- I can give you an email if you want.

I've been trying NOT to quit. Now that I've got so much free time, it's really hard to concentrate on any one game, and I tend to just revert back to reading or online stuff. Which I also can't concentrate on.
Your ownership of Kodama and Arboretum is not helping your case. Honestly, at this point I would consider the guns and beer fully cancelled out (many times over).

I wouldn't mind! I'm bad at keeping friends though, even if someone offers. Drop an email and maybe we can start up some correspondence.

Well, it's not like I'm trying to keep an equal balance of feminine and masculine hobbies. Just saying I'm not a complete stereotype.

My life is, overall, quite boring, but I like to fill my boring life with some not-so-boring activities.

I go to college right now for Chemical/Materials Engineering, but I take classes in my free time so that I can get a dual-minor in English and Philosophy- the added bonus from taking these extra classes is that I can spend time away from the socially-awkward engineering department. I like spending what's left of my free time in the great outdoors, taking photos, hiking, camping, backpacking, fishing, and when I was younger, hunting.

If I'm able to I usually like to go on trips around the world (currently posting from Shanghai), but so far I haven't been able to visit many of the places that I would like to.

Occasionally I'll watch some lectures on YouTube, go to the gym, or hang out with friends, but at the end of the day I'm slowly being eaten away by my crippling depression and count the days until my eventual suicide.

It's not so much that they're feminine, so much as they're the most painfully proper feminine activities imaginable.

I'm not going to knock tea, being a massive fan myself (although in a drinking sense).

>the added bonus from taking these extra classes is that I can spend time away from the socially-awkward engineering department
And rejoice in the extremely socially aware Philosophy department?
>but so far I haven't been able to visit many of the places that I would like to.
Tell me about it. It doesn't help that most of what I love is currently a war zone. Or may as well be.

It probably doesn't help that I was closest to my grandmother growing up.

I still drink tea a ton, aside from the peripheral stuff. What's in your cup this morning? I'm having some Mi Lan Xiang.

Haha you're not wrong about the philosophy department, but I think between english and philo I get a nice break from engineering. What places are you trying to visit?

Turkish (rize). Currently drinking Turkish almost exclusively, 'cause I just got a Turkish tea-set.
Syria.

Among other places, like Iran, Sudan and Ethiopia.

We can try it out. An email you can use to reach me is [email protected]

My dad went to Iran back in the day - he gave me a carved silver box he got there that I've kept to this day. I can see Iran and Syria, but why Ehtiopia?

I make music
Listen to loads of music too
I collect records
collect books
I used to fuck big with watching movies but now i prefer to read

>why Ethiopia
I'm a massive Veeky Forumsfag.

I stopped playing video games years ago, age 27 now. I still play the occasional multiplayer game with friends though. It makes no significant impact on your life. Do what you enjoy.

Are you ameri or britfag ? If not there is nothing stopping you from going to iran.

I am a Britfag.

Well in this case I think you can still go there with an tourist group. Probably not the experience you're looking for I guess

What about me as an Amerifag?

Only possible with a guided tourgroup. Sorry user

What if I sneak into Iran? I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I don't think you know what a hobby is, dear.

I haven't quit because I still have my gaming PC I built 5-6 years ago. The only game I play is CSGO, but not even everyday.

Just a few hours here and there throughout the week. The biggest effect is on the amount of free time I have... So I read more.

Because OP asks how they make you a better person? I don't think he's assuming they all necessarily do.

Maybe you can find a smuggler willing to get you there by boat. Apart from that overland seems like a really bad idea to me.

I guess you don't know, either.

It's something you do for fun in your spare time.

Do you have another definition for it?

I watch a lot of football (soccer). It doesn't make me a better person other than that it's something I do with my whole immediate family and is one of the few thing we all have common ground on.

You better look it up in the dictionary instead of pretending to know.

>An activity done regularly in one’s leisure time for pleasure

Exactly what I just said, with synonyms.

Stop being so mysterious, user. Tell us what you're hinting at.

His definition is pretty much the exact dictionary one, only with different wording.

I thought his point was that if you're doing it to better yourself you're not doing it for pleasure, but then he'd have taken issue with "fun", too.

I collect old toys. Especially the old diecsat cars. I like to dig around in the charity/curiosity shops and see what I can find.

My hobby is engendering responses.

Same thing.

Post some pics

I make pony tulpas and write MLP fanfiction.

>make you a better person

Lol spooks.

I barely play any more and I played a fucking lot until like 1 year ago.
The only impact is that I have more free time so I started playing the guitar, I read more, watch more lectures, educate myself and things like that but I still mostly hate people and stay solitary as much as possible so it's the same anyway I guess.

>spooks

aka, pleasure addiction

No, that'd be spooked.

Here are some of the cars I have

I feel like UAE>Iran would actually be a viable option, then maybe fly from the coast to Tehran?

Archery and brewing tea.

Both teach me preserverence and discipline.

I have about 10,000 or so cars and lots of odd toys.

Do you take lessons or go to a range, or just do archery around your home? I want to pick up archery but tfw downtown apartment living.

t. weeaboo

He could be a massive Angloboo.

Mostly at home or in the land I own (a couple of acres) where I shoot pheasants and hares, but sometimes I join a few people at a range. You'll need at least 15 feet of space to do target shooting.

I'm not a huge fan of japanese teas tbqph

Why fly ? Theres a lot to see on the way and a lot of people to meet. I dont know from where the smuggling ships at Irans southern coast are coming tbqh. Maybe UAE maybe Oman. If you are persistent you might eventually find someone there who is willing to take you with him.

Hey user, just letting you know I sent you an email about an hour back.

squidward

Eyy, fellow cello-fag in high school too. Always regretted how expensive it was, and how much harder it is to transport than a violin, disproportionate to how important it was in an orchestra.

Well, don't regret it that much now, though I do wish I would have played the piano instead

You should photograph them all and make an online gallery.

Glad to see you take such good care of them.

Video games are so much more boring for me than they used to be. I think the revelation came when I realized that the feeling of a virtual world is so limited, you can't actually fulfill your fantasies besides what the game has to offer.

Not to mention that now a days games are shorter, and they're more focused on the multiplayer aspect and I fucking hate that. Really, the only good modern video games I have played beyond the PS2 era, were Dark Souls and Oblivion: The Elder Scrolls IV. Those are the only games that felt like true classics, each of which I played the fucking hell out of. Then there was Halo 3, which literally held my attention because that's the only game that ever succeeded in having a great online experience. The entire social aspect of my youth was based on the friends I made on Halo 3, which I never stayed in contact with ever again. I remember all the countless hours of shit talking and trolling on the mic and destroying matchmaking matches with trolling and watching free roaming camera replay footage of all the crazy ass stunts you could do with the vehicles.

You'll never make the wise decision to quit playing them.

Well, learning the cello did give me a great foundation for knowing music theory. I played it for about 5 years before I got sick of it, but this summer I took piano lessons and the teacher was sort of amazed at how fast I learned the piano, said I was the fastest learning student she ever had. Thing is though, I already knew all the music theory from inside of the book, so it was just a matter of getting down the muscle memory of playing the piano. I breezed past a 150 page adult beginner practice book in about 3 weeks.

I still have a lot of piano books I got from my mom which I could be practicing, except after a semester of trying so hard to do something, I sort of lose interest because it feels like work. Hence why I haven't touched the piano since. That's what happens when banks control the federal reserve and we're all slaves tied with with shackles that we construct in our own minds.

Not that guy but I don't think you need to completely quit them.
Just limit how much time you spend on them which is easy if you are not playing multiplayer games. Multi is the real addiction, playing through a singleplayer game sometimes is fine and actually making games shorter helps not spending too much time on them, especially if there are only a few good ones anyway.

Nobody needs to do anything.

I'm 19 years old.

I am handsome, smart, athletic and virile.

I have a novel that is in it's final editing stage, and a creative writing professor at my college has read the first draft and thinks it's saleable.

I have a girlfriend who is confident, articulate, playful and spontaneous.

I have a small group of interesting friends from different social and academic backgrounds, and I also have many other acquaintances who see me as a reliable source of humour and good company.

Both my parents are alive and in good health.

I have no regrets.

I have already experienced three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity of a man twice my age.

I am a passionate lover, a sharp thinker, and a trader of witty repartee.

I am not self-pitying, meek or needlessly humble.

I will live a good life at your expense.

Kys

I like to play guitar and write alt-folk songs about abstract feelings and clouds. Used to go for walks all the time but I've got a physical condition that prevents me from doing it much now. That's why I spend so much time on Veeky Forums. Actually that's a good things, now that I think about it, because I found Veeky Forums in 2014 and since have gotten back into reading.

I'll try and see what I can find. Thanks a bunch user.

Alcoholism

Veeky Forums truly is normalfag.

My hobbies are watching anime, crying and contemplating suicide.

>watching anime

It's fine user, you'll get over that, I have watched over 500+ series and just stopped after that.
Your other hobbies are fine.

I think the day I get over anime is the day I shoot myself. I don't enjoy vidya, television or anything really and even though I like reading, it only augments my willingness to suicide.

Cute 2D girls make me stay in this world.

I felt exactly the same things for years but later switched anime for literature, art and knowledge just for its sake.
I still don't socialize apart from the bare necessities at work and don't want a gf but I don't really want to kill myself either.

But I already read a lot, I'm neet and read for 5-8 hours a day. If I stop watching anime I'll either have to read for 12 hours a day or become normie and take up a hobby like going to parties.

pick up an instrument and start writing, you don't have to leave the basement for either of them

I already write (not like I'll ever get something published though), tried playing the piano but it was boring as hell so I stopped. I thought about maybe becoming a marble sculptor because I really like the Greeks but I have no idea how to start and don't want to join a course or club for it.

Quite curious. In most cases Anime and vidya walk hand in hand

Gamers tend to watch anime (mostly they are the casual shounenfags or the "deep" fedorafags) but not so much the other way around, just try to talk about something like that on /a/, it's more common in Japan than in the West.
Unless you consider VNs vidya but I wouldn't really do that.

I see. Interesting, i suppose anime is a lot cheaper as a hobbie too. I mean, if you just download shit of course, not including the miniature/merchandising of course

I absolutely loved vidya. Getting hyped for new releases and playing games for hours each day, but then it just kind of stopped. Most new releases seem very similar, if something looks interesting I have either no energy to play it or it turns out to be shit. After I got bored of playing singleplayer games I had a phase of playing competitive games so I have like 4k hours in Dota 2 and 2k in CS:GO but you get bored of them as well.

I'm sure my lust for cartoons will die out sooner or later, I just don't know what I'll do afterwards.