Hi Veeky Forums

Hi Veeky Forums,
do you know any writers, who do not only write, but compose, paint, make scupltures, etc? Basically I'm looking for multimedia artists, who also spend some of their time writing.

Other urls found in this thread:

taolin.info/mandalas
en.lichess.org/study/f7VWRupi
reddit.com/r/chess/wiki/faq
shogi.net/shogi-l/Archive/1999/Nfeb07-06.txt
youtube.com/watch?v=rBO1B3Wf4mk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bob Dylan :)

Schoenberg was also a painter and he wrote books on music.

Tao Lin

Captain Beefheart aka Van Vilet.

Billy Blake
Rosetti too, right?

Definitely William Blake.

this is very impressive

gotta count Berlioz too, then

also Rousseau

Amazing

he has a bunch of them
taolin.info/mandalas

what did he mean by this?

How come shit like this is pleasing to look at while whenever I doodle with those multiculour retractables it looks cancerous

Nakabov created some chess composition, which is one of the highest form of aesthetics you can possible achieve in my opinion. It's some sort of poetic logic or logical poetic - you can't really describe it if you aren't familar with chess.

Gainsbourg published a novel and some(?) short stories

>Nakabov
Lel sry, I was watching the chess player Nakamura winning his first game against the world champoin Carlsen and somehow messed Nabokovs name up.

>White to move and mate in 2

Victor Hugo and Baudelaire did some pretty interesting drawing experiments.

Michelangelo also wrote poems and was highly regarded for it by his contemporaries.

David Jones is one of the most underrated modernist poets and sculptors.

B6-C5
D7-D5
B7-B8, promote to queen or bishop. Mate.

I like chess puzzles but to consider a good chess puzzle the superior to a Saint Mathew Passion seems incredulous.

Dali
Carrington
Ernst wrote something too
Feynman played the bongos :P

things/ideas aren't incredulous, people are incredulous.

William Burroughs did visual art later in life. I love him as a writer but his visual art was kind of meh.

>B6-C5
>D7-D5
>B7-B8, promote to queen or bishop. Mate.

It's not that easy. Your pawn is pinned on b7 because of the rook on g7.
In fact this puzzle is nearly unsolveable if you aren't really good in chess or have an IQ over 160.

>I like chess puzzles but to consider a good chess puzzle the superior to a Saint Mathew Passion seems incredulous.

Yeah, that's what everybody thinks when they hear about chess compositions for their first time. It's a shame.

Billy Childish is the man you're looking for

Leonard Cohen
Ingmar Bergman

They are not primarily writers tho

Bc2

>Yeah, that's what everybody thinks when they hear about chess compositions for their first time. It's a shame.

A snarky remark and presumed ignorance on the other party isn't going to change anyone's mind. I used to be very serious about chess 6-7 years ago. Then I realised I was letting a game consume my life but I just came to see what Einstein said about it to be true.
"Chess holds its master in its own bonds, shackling the mind and brain so that the inner freedom of the very strongest must suffer."

That or the quote from Castiglione. "...but it seems to me to possess one defect; namely, that it is possible for it to demand too much knowledge, so that anyone who wishes to become an outstanding player must, I think, give to it as much time and study as he would to learning some noble science or performing well something or other of importance; and yet for all his pains when all is said and done all he knows is a game."

Nick Cave
Henry Rollins
Douglas Coupland
William Morris

Michael Gira

Tolkein drew and painted. He designed the original cover for The Hobbit.

Yeah, it demands some sort of disciplin to not play too much chess. This game is like a drug, but as long as you have it under control it's also one of the best hobbies you can have.

To get back to chess compositions, I have no idea how to describe my fascination about them, but I know it's about some kind of aesthetic pleasure I've never encountered in any other art form.

You said you played chess yourself, maybe you'll habe some fun with these unique chess problems (with solutions!).

en.lichess.org/study/f7VWRupi

Pier Paolo Pasolini
Jean Cocteau

Qc7+
d6 (forced)
Nxc6#

Sorry, that's not mate because of Kxe6.

black king takes the knight on e6 after that

Nevermind.

>Bc2!!
The only move that prepares a mate in 1 move.
Well done! Did you find it by yourself?

Writing is sculpting with words.

Yeah it took me awhile. I was really focused on Qc5 but then realized the bishop needs to get out of the way

>the bishop needs to get out of the way
Moving the bishop to c2 also puts black under zugzwang. It's a great puzzle.

how do i into chess?

Mervyn Peake

Pretty much every mangaka

Do you have the name of the artist.?

Read this

I can wholeheartedly recommend this faq for starters:
>reddit.com/r/chess/wiki/faq

For playing free chess online
>lichess.org
is he best place.

Shogi is objectively better than chess. Can't remember the guys name but a chess IM wrote a review and ranked various chess- and go-like games and found Shogi to be the best with a score of 7/10 or something (I think chess scored 5/10). Wish I could find that review, I think I saw it on a shogi website.

>trigger discipline

I guess I should mention I play chess myself and have been close to 2400 FIDE at my peak. The books in my library that I would recommend:

Yusupov's Chess School series
Comprehensive Chess Course series
Grandmaster Preparation series
All of Mark Dvoretsky's books
Zurich 1953

I only have one shogi book but I would recommend it:

Better Moves for Better Shogi

5/10? Do you remember why he rated chess only as a mediocore game? That's pretty surprising taking into account that he spent thousands of hours to get his title.

Finally found it. It's by Larry Kaufman and he gave chess 4.5/8 and shogi 7/8.

shogi.net/shogi-l/Archive/1999/Nfeb07-06.txt

>2400 elo
That's really impressive. I guess you're the strongest player on this site. Are you still active?

I really enjoy chess, too, especially the progress of getting better at it. I've been playing online chess for six years now. The problem is I got to a point where I feel like I can't improve anymore without putting really hard work into it (like reading chess books which I haven't done so far) but I'm not quite sure if it's worth the time... but on the other hand I can't stand it to get beaten by the same players over and over again.

I have to make a tough decision which you propably had to make, too. The first option is to quit chess. I've achieved some nice things (like getting to a 2200 rating on my chess server / top 5% quantil). I just could move on, spending my free time on other things and focusing more on uni stuff. I know that quitting chess wouldn't be easy, maybe even impossible. Did you ever try this?

The second option is to work even harder. Taking my play to the next level. Obviously you did this. Would you do it again if you had the choice?

I know I sound pretty wierd talking about my relationship with this game as if it were a philosophical problem. Still I would love to hear your view on this.

Nietzsche composed some nice music.

youtube.com/watch?v=rBO1B3Wf4mk

I actually quit chess, just one day decided to stop playing altogether. Been playing in tournaments since around second grade and used to practice chess 10+ hours a day. The game consumed my life but even then I don't think I really regret it.

...it's Tao Lin?

yeah, this. and poems.

I've actually studied some of Kaufmans games. I didn't know he's a real allrounder in strategic board games. Nice article, even though I think he picked some strange dimensions to rate the different games.

Tell me more about how you you decided to quit chess. I think it would improve my life quality even more if I stopped playing it, too.
But how to replace this fantastic occupation which somehow unites art, game and science into one thing?

This is a lot better than his writing honestly