SHAKESPEARE, DANTE and CERV-nein, nein! GOETHE

According to Schelling the three post-ancient authors you must read before you die are SHAKESPEARE, DANTE and CERVANTES. He later replaced Cervantes with GOETHE.

Imagine, after finding out you spent a significant part of your youth lurking Veeky Forums, they've made you the national minister for education. What three authors do you put into the obligatory curriculum of non-ancient literature classes?

Ovid, Shakespeare Dante

shakespeare dante and goethe

schelling was right

>Ovid
oh ja, he isn't quite as ancient as Quintus Ennius or Plautus!

Joyce, Pynchon, Wallace

Didn't he invent a Renaissance English of his own because he didn't like the savage language of that bawdy Ipswich vintner?

Cervantes, Dante, and Chaucer.

Shakespeare, although a giant of literature, lacks historical importance in comparison to these three. Think about it. Ceevantes, dante, and chaucer are credited with being key with the transformation/advancement of their respective languages.

Wallace is a good choice. I should be immortal because i'm never going to read that shit.

Shakespeare, Ibsen and Hemingway

So is Shakespeare.

The language he wrote in was pioneered in Morte d'Arthur and confirmed by the book of common prayer.

Joyce, Shakespeare, Dostoevsky

Kant, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche.

Kierkegaard Shakespeare, Goethe.

Actually Kierkegaard, Hamsun and Strindberg, nordic master race

What makes you think Kierkegaard is so important?

Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Dickens. Pretty self-explanatory and I think the read something by all three of them in secondary school.

Why did he limit himself to three?

Balzac, Shakespeare, Proust.

Homer, Plato, Aristotle

Post ancient.

While I would be tempted to leave Chaucer in, if it's the historical importance with respect to the establishing of the language you're looking for, Spenser should replace, though it would wound me to do so.

Flaubert, Dostoevsky, Dante.

This post is objectively true. If teaching an Anglo centric curriculum, these three will help the students to understand the historical trajectory of the literature, but also help them to understand the matter from which their own sense of identity has been constructed.

Nah, Chaucer is an anomaly in English literature. After Canterbury Tales there is virtually nothing worth reading for the next 150 years. When the English Renaissance happened the writers were using a completely different vernacular to that of Chaucer's (except Spenser admittedly, who was roundly criticised by Sidney, Jonson and others for using such an archaic diction).

You're all plebs: if you make three writers compulsory in the curriculum, two have to be of your own language and culture.

For Britain, I'd choose Dante, Chaucer and Shakespeare

When u nut but she keeps succing

Because he liked an archaic German word very much, which was akin to "twain" but more like "thrain". He was so nimble he has managed to be an idealist philosopher, a romantic pamphleteer and a proto-psychologist trying to make systematic sense of the unconscious. In other words: his vocations were thrain. Thrain, like the artists of the Neuzeit everybody has to read.

>lacks historical importance in comparison to these three
WHAAAAAATTTTT

Kek

michael chabon, jonathan franzen, zadie smith

chad harbach, jeffrey eugenides, jonathan safran foer

rachel kushner, dave eggers, joyce carol oates

i'd say chabon, franzen, and eggers, but you want a woman in there. zadie is a good choice

i love eugenides!

cormac mccarthy, william faulkner, charles bukowski

camille paglia, christopher hitchens, gavin mcinnes

I second this, that's completely incorrect.

no one else thinks this was funny?

If you must include a woman, it should be Woolf.

Not him, but his prose is wonderful and he'd help get rid of the modern positivist mindset.

Shakespeare, Tolstoy, and Joyce.

cant be sure, but i dont think the zadie smith dudes are being serious

I like the idea of Shakespeare and Goethe
Combined, they said EVERYTHING

You are an idiot

>Replacing the father of novel that is Cervantes instead of a drunk iliterate that is Shakespeare
Lit af m8
Cervantes, Homero and myself

Core: Shakespeare, Gotethe, and Dante

then
Poets: Chaucer, Milton, and Keats
Dramatists: Shakespeare, Marlowe, and the English Renaissance
Novelists: Richardson, Dickens, and Austen

this would be for *English* Literature obviously

John Fowles, Samuel Delaney, Henry James.

DFW
DFW
DFW

Who is "Richardson"?

assumign samuel

Thanks buddy

Shakespeare, Dostoevsky, Proust

Poor bait but a complementary (you) for trying.

McCarthy
Faulkner
O'Connor

>obligatory curriculum of maize

Plato Schopenhauer Dosto

>maize curriculum
>No cather

senpai??

and with goethe, off all things.
wtf is so great about goethe?

best answer by far

Who is this English Renaissance you mention? Never heard of him.

test

For some resin these names all seem to be things I was forced to read in Honors Lit in 11th grade and then in my History/English classes in university. Except for Shakespeare who I was forced to read and wright papers on has punishment for bad grades by my neighbor. Note to my four year-old self don't pick the eccentric old man down the block to be your best friend, he will make you a a literate woman when you grow up.

my three
Joyce Carol Oates
Chaucer
Shakespeare

kek

Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, cause I spit hot fire

pleb

Mill, Dostoyevsky, Heidegger