Hey Veeky Forumsentists!

Hey Veeky Forumsentists!

Time to figure out if you are smart or not.

Here's the scenario:
You are going to the Moon. You have to walk around on the surface of the Moon for many hours. Your space suit is well insulated but you of course need the ability to cool your body to avoid overheating. Since you are basically in a vacuum, you cannot use DX cooling like your house or car does (there's not enough air to reject heat from a condenser coil).

What do you do?

Hard mode: No googling or researching the Apollo missions.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8rUYyLzGcjY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I stroke my dick and convert the heat energy into cum energy

>overheating
thats not an issue with spacesuits when its 0 degrees outside dickbutter

/thread

...you ran out of cum...

You are dead.

open my visor and let in some cool moon air

It is though because your suit is insulated and your body generates heat, thus your temperature rises and you overheat and die without cooling.

And you can't "perfectly balance" your heat generation with the thermal properties of your suit because the balance would get messed up based on activity level: sitting vs moving and other factors: in the shade vs direct sunlight.

>open my visor and let in some cool moon air

Moon dust gets in your eyes and makes you blind.

You stumble around the moon until you die.

The moon is not a relaxing vacation.

No serious answers yet. You disappoint Veeky Forums. I know who not to call when I need a team to design space technology.

Your oxygen/nitrogen circulation can carry heat from the 1atm pressurized and highly insulated interior of your suit to the extremities and circulation rig through not quite so insulated tubing, where heat energy is naturally pulled from from the air and radiated into the vacuum.
I imagine there's also peltier effect coolers on the walls of the air tank, such that the hot bit is pointed away from your suit.
Heck there might even be peltier effect stuff on the walls of the suit itself.

>from the 1atm pressurized and highly insulated interior of your suit to the extremities and circulation rig through not quite so insulated tubing, where heat energy is naturally pulled from from the air and radiated into the vacuum.
The suit is insulated to stop the radiation from the sun from heating up your body. If you had tubing that wasn't as insulated as the suit, the result would be that the tubing actually absorbs more heat rather than it radiating more heat. Remember your body can only get rid of heat through blackbody radiation. Even if you had no space suit and you were in the shade, your body would get extremely hot fast.

Oh, I was under the impression we would be on the dark side

It could be dark side or light side. Gotta plan for both.

I imagine you would use your water reserves and let some of it evaporate for latent heat memeing.

Aren't many other ways.

My heat will go to electricity and do laser operation of your blind eyes...

In either case, keeping the air circulating in your suit cool is the most efficient method I would think, and using peltier devices to cool it as it passes and radiate substantially more heat than you would through black body seems like the only reasonably effective solution.
The only other things you could do would be to stay hydrated on the way there, so that you sweat a lot, and also perhaps have a high water content in the air to begin with to maximize heat absorption and radiation from the peltier doohickeys.
They certainly wouldn't use any kind of ablative heat reduction methods, since there's nothing to really ablate it.
Also, you'd want to be doubly sure that you're absorbing and radiating much of the heat around the feet, scalp, and groin.
I don't know what the specific heat of the materials used in spacesuits are, but I'd imagine they're some of the highest in man made materials. Idunno man, you've got me beat.

well, did I get it right OP? I'm googling if you don't tell me

How much difference between Solid state nitrogen and its realeasement at 400 degrees can cool? How much nitrogen you need for day?

What if you have suppercooled helium at the begining?

What about cooling that get fuel in jetpack hot?

It doesn't matter. My point was that less insulation doesn't mean heat will radiate away faster, even if you're on the dark side. The most heat your body loses due to radiation is still not sufficient to cool you down. You need something more than just normal radiation.

I guess that something more is the peltier device. Do you mind explaining what exactly they are and the mechanism behind it? I'm just curious and I don't want to cheat and use google.

The peltier effect is when a current is passed through a multilayered object, one side will cool while the other will warm. This can be done to some heavy extremes dependent on the resistance on the material, the shape, the current, etc.
It's usually just a metal block with what looks like a tree on one side.

This guy is on to something.

Okay, so you expect all or a majority of the heat to radiate out of the metal on the back of the peltier device? I feel like having a hot piece of metal on each astronauts back isn't the safest idea. NASA must have used some other method.

So we can't use conduction or convection very efficiently. And radiation is probably slower than we need.

What else is there?

Actually I should have said sublimate rather than evaporate.
No reason to deprive yourself of a second latent heat step.

>No reason to deprive yourself of a second latent heat step.
But then you're just skipping the evaporation step, so it really makes no difference except you need to use energy to freeze the water. I honestly don't see how sublimation is advantageous here.

kek

I would guess you might be able to use some liquid that evaporates to pull energy out of your suit

What? No m8 you add both latent heats.

I would make the suit insulated by a vacuum. If it gets too hot let oxygen from suit in. Gets too cold pump oxygen back out.

Probably cant make the whole suit a vacuum so make all of it normally insulated then on chest or somewhere else there is vacuum insulated segment that I can control the insulation of.

Maybe I'm misinformed, but isn't there a different latent heat for each phase transition? So for water->steam there is a latent heat of vaporization and for water->ice there is a latent heat of fusion. And even if you are adding both these latent heats, going from water-> ice is negative, so it will end up cancelling out and just be the same as going right from water->steam. Unless you meant you're starting out with ice on the moon?

>latent heat of fusion

are you retarded or just a middle schooler

>Unless you meant you're starting out with ice on the moon?
Oh yes, that's what I meant.

Gotcha, that works better then. You were correct.

There is no dark side of the moon, really.
Matter of fact it's all dark.

Endothermic reaction of certain chemicals? Perhaps inside the huge backpack in which heat gradient settles the rest

Sublimation makes sense. Where do you get the ice from? I assume you take water with but how/why is it in ice form?

Easy, just do what they did on the moon mission and use evaporative cooling. Evaporate water from the suit using the vacuum of space. Heat transfer by mass transfer.

I assume the lunar module has all the necessary radiator panels to handle its own cooling and a nice ice machine.

Probably. Ice is the currency of the future after all. We don't want our astronauts to be poor when they get back.

and fuck you OP I'm posting the answer, pic related, a porous plate sublimator.

Now figure out how to do it without wasting any precious water to the vacuum of space.

>Now figure out how to do it without wasting any precious water to the vacuum of space.
Not gun happen.

>Now figure out how to do it without wasting any precious water to the vacuum of space.
You could put something out on the moon to capture all the water particles that escape your suit. Then you're left with a container of steam, which you can condense and extract usable energy. The device would just have to be directly behind you wherever you go and it might not be worth thee effort, but it's possible.

Strangle my crewmates, cuz you gotta be cold as ice to do that.

Fuck me right!

Where do you get the ice!? Do they take ice cubes with them? Can you regenerate ice by some means? Ideally you wouldn't be limited by needing to be next to the lunar lander to get ice.

I don't think that works. If you collected the vapor, it would have most of the heat you just got rid of so you need to cool it. And if you can cool it with some other means, why not just use that means in the first place to cool you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with this system you have to give up water to the environment. Which means you need a supply of water to deplete in order to stay cool.

The advantage lies in the fact that the cooling doesn't have to be performed within the confines of a space suit. The original question is about the equipment on your body, not the totality of the mission.

>If you collected the vapor, it would have most of the heat you just got rid of so you need to cool it.
Why do we need to cool it? My proposal is to have a device completely separate from the suit used for the storage of this hot vapor. It doesn't matter if the vapor is hot because it's not burning a human any longer. Now that we have a container full of hot vapor, why can't we use this to run a steam engine? It's not just saving the precious water particles, its generating energy from body heat.

So how do you cool down the device that's condensing water?

Water evaporates in a vacuum, cooling it down, creating ice
youtube.com/watch?v=8rUYyLzGcjY

>So how do you cool down the device that's condensing water?
I don't know. an't you just let the steam push turbines until all the heat is transferred into useful energy? Then you could either collect the now liquid water or let the steam float out into space. I know the original problem was keeping the water from escaping into space but at least we're getting some energy out of it first.

So the boiling process carries heat away from the water, cooling the remaining liquid into ice. That's pretty fucking awesome.

>0 degrees outside
>space is cold meme

did you forget that the sun radiates shit and heats shit up?

would you really have to 'perfectly balance' it?
can't the astronauts tolerate being a little cold/warm?

Well either heat generators that make energy from heat or packets of pressurized chemicals that have endothermic reactions together.

gas expansion is endothermic
keep compressed gas cylinders on your person and strategically release gas to cool

you guys really disappoint me- this is thermo 1 shit

roll around in the moon dust

oh im sorry, its 1 degrees outside. since theres no atmosphere in space to contain any heat.

retard

/thread

You can't just convert heat to energy.

shut the fuck up retard you stupid american get off stem dumb idiot

>keep compressed gas cylinders on your person and strategically release gas to cool

This seems like it would work. I wonder how the size of the cylinder correlates to how long you could walk on the Moon. Obviously it's dependent on storage pressure.

Yes, its not just, its years that evolved that technology to be nano capable...

I would do what kangaroos do in extreme warmth. Lick myself. The saliva will cool me down. Problem fixed, didn't google or anything. I'm way smarter than any of you. Eat shit dicks.

Isn't there like a suit that contains evaporating liquid to keep you cold, or gas containers?

English motherfucker, do you speak it?

Even nanodevices still obey thermodynamics.

Use water to cool your suit. They do it in like every space mission.