When we talk about the "future of literature " and the "logical progression of literature as an art form" who are the...

when we talk about the "future of literature " and the "logical progression of literature as an art form" who are the first writers that come to your mind? for me its
Tao lin

Other urls found in this thread:

thoughtcatalog.com/tao-lin/2011/10/an-interview-with-stza-crack-of-leftover-crack-and-sfh/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Me

The novel is a dying cultural endeavour.
University literature departments are effectively care-home's.... not shitty statutory care-homes where you are left sitting in a puddle of your own cold piss..... But a care home nevertheless.

The novel has slowly but surely crawled to the fringes of our culture.

for me as well although in a lot of ways he's pretty traditional

Not really sure, because I basically agree with I feel like Joshua Cohen has the right idea, but he isn't a good enough writer for his works to culminate in what he's trying to do.

Haven't read Tao, and he's a total meme here, but before I started browsing Veeky Forums one of the few people I respect literarily irl told me he's not a very good writer who's onto something significant.

It's similar to the way theorists talk about how people are incapable or imagining a world without capitalism, just nothing, we all seem pretty incapable of imagining what's next in literature.

A year or two ago I read an article claiming its the autofiction from the likes of Karl Ove and Ben Lerner, but I feel like that future is here and its not going to be particularly substantial, though I did like 10:04 (Veeky Forums would probably hate it).

Post-literature dispenses with authorship, permanence and the constraints of the printed medium, or any medium for that matter. Post-literature is memes, a wonderful glistening world of memes. Technocultural singularity as Becoming. Memes are actually nu-hieroglyphics for the cyberpunk era. Everything is a meme. Notions of 'High' and 'low' culture are vestiges of an outdated mode of content production and should be done away with.

that's true but novel writing is a pretty traditional artform.
not that it's been practiced traditionally, but it tends to favor returns to tradition. probably because it's based on the traditional practice of storytelling.

this tbqh famiglio

Tao I hate you and I hate the way you shit up this board. If I ever see you IRL I'm going to stomp your autist ass back into whatever detached ironic so cool rock you crawled out from under. Your books suck, man. Stop posting.

holy shit is he actually wearing a Choking Victim jacket? haven't seen that referenced on this board at any point ever

evidently Lin really likes Choking Victim and Leftover Crack
thoughtcatalog.com/tao-lin/2011/10/an-interview-with-stza-crack-of-leftover-crack-and-sfh/

this desu

aw man now I want to go to Joshua Tree.

Stuff like this

A unique Style

Definitely Tao Lin.

IMO all art will be sublated into identity politics, and will be judged on how it relates to demographics, with its quality being indistinguishable from this. There will exist a priori categories of race, gender, sex, etc. and these will impose a structure on how a story must be written and received, making it impossible for the work of art itself to pronounce on or outside of these constraints. There will likewise be epistemological pluralistic barriers between different demigraphics that reserve judgment, always delineated along demographic lines, to one group or another, destroying the enlightenment notion of an open arena of reason and a common historical sense for evaluating the greatness or effectiveness of a work. Everything will be prefaced with 'as an X...' which will be both an invocation of mystical demographic authority, and s hackle that predetermines the opinion before it's stated.

Once this runs for a few decades the notion of an individual will again radically resurface, as the internal contradictions of splintering centers of unification destroy themselves, and we emerge in a post-demographic society that celebrates the individual multiplicity of human personality, but in such a way that previous cultural ties are destroyed and no longer coherent. In this world the multiplicity of art will be judged by nothing but proliferation of idiosyncratic fetishes, and the very notion of criticism will be unintelligible; all that will exist is finer and finer catering to more and more specific solipsistic tastes.

you're probably a lot of fun at parties.

you're also probably not wrong.

>sublated into identity politics

A distinct cyberpunk fashion of its own has emerged in recent years

Cyberpunk's protagonists are adept at appropriating the materials of popular culture and making them speak to alternative needs and interests

...A study by Murray, Sujan, Hirt and Sujan, this hypothesis was examined more closely and “found positive mood participants were able to see relations between concepts”, as well as demonstrating advanced abilities