So how does Interstellar look from the science view?

So how does Interstellar look from the science view?

How much of it is/can be true?

Is it possible for a black hole to be an entrance for a more than 3 dimensional world?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L9Mf5UBFvH4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They contacted NASA for the black hole scenes so they are as accurate as they can be.

>Is it possible for a black hole to be an entrance for a more than 3 dimensional world?
I thought that was just an alien/ future human construct that happened to be in the black hole

DUDE

it was yes

>is it possible for a black hole to be an entrance for a more than 3 dimensional world?
no it's fucking not, relativity does not get to affect the 5th dimension

What if the black hole leads you out of the universe where relativity doesn't apply?

Actually they chose a less accurate look for the black hole

They changed 3 things for the movie black hole from how it would really look. The first thing they changed was the perceived position of the black hole within the accretion disk. Due to frame dragging (where a spinning black hole drags space around it) the black hole would appear to be to sticking to one side of the disk, since light would be getting pulled in that direction. The disk would also be blueshifted and brighter on one side than the other.

The post above mine () shows what the realisitic version would look like. Pic related also is what you would see if you were stationary in space at a fixed distance from a black hole. Every star around you would be spinning like crazy.

Makes you wonder why the future humans didn't just give humanity a cure for the crop disease, if they could make black holes and stuff.

FAKE

>Is it possible for a black hole to be an entrance for a more than 3 dimensional world?
A black hole doesn't go anywhere, it's just really fucking dense

Looks like you and black holes have something in common.

I really hope black holes look like this in movies from now on desu.

Bump

You are using this star/planet systems for blackholes far away... its crazy what you do...

its possible with "Deuterium"

really makes you think, doesnt it?

in my opinion, it's the closest a movie has gotten to being scientific while remaining a really good movie.

It would be impossible for the ranger spacecraft to take off from Miller's Planet using conventional rockertry.

Even if hyper intelligent evolved decadents of humanity did build a 5th dimensional world inside of a black hole he would probably reach that world only as ionized gas, if even that. Coop would be dead.

Also all the astronauts should have been irradiated and killed by the radiation near the black hole.

youtube.com/watch?v=L9Mf5UBFvH4

this

Stop repeating this advertisment bullshit "they contacted scientists" .

You are not a scientist are you?

I technically am. I have a bachelors degree in biology.

biology isn't a science dimwit

That person who responded to you wasnt me who made the post.
Name a movie with as good a plot in which the "science mumbo jumbo speak" made as much sense as it did in interstellar. They did their research.
Not saying it made sense, but it got as close to making sense as possible while not being boring.
I havent watched The Martian, but the book seemed to be very rigorous. Perhaps the movie was better than interstellar?

>he should have died
>they should have died
>everyone should have died
You want a movie with no resolution? There has to be a balance.

thats pretty boring. why do movies have to follow a preconceived notion or a set of rules? i wouldnt care if everyone died, as long as it fit into the movie. the movie was shit anyway, so them dying would've been better

>Name a movie with as good a plot in which the "science mumbo jumbo speak" made as much sense as it did in interstellar.
Sunshine

Op here, Interstellar was better than The Martian imo

They were working with NASA actually

Not necessarily. We could watch an ending that is just about Hathaway's character trying to colonize a desolate rock world alone, by implanting frozen embryos into herself over and over and over again, while everyone else, including all on Earth just die.

That's the art house film way.

Why does everyone like The Martian, fewer people like Interstellar, and nobody likes Sunshine?

Is it because of the horror element? I know people like The Martian because it's light-hearted and has lots of comedy.

It was Objectively better

People don't like them feels Interstellar, and sunshine give them

Black holes arent entrances to anywhere besides being crushed into an infinitesimal space. However the way Black holes warp space and time can be used to create wormholes.

>Sunshine
The sun is "dying" because of some made-up mumbo-jumbo nonsense. Let's fly a giant fission bomb into the sun to "re-ignite" it. That's the level of scientific plausibility I'd expect from a story written by a kid in grade five.

Oh yeah. And let's turn everyone into undead demons because they were exposed to the sun's rays. Seems legit.

Or not.

I'm a big fan of Nolan's work. Frigging loved Memento, the Batman trilogy, not to even mention Inception. But Interstellar was a step down. It had a bit of the same flaw as Peter Jackson did with the Hobbit, like his mind wasn't really into it.

Big budget, great actors, cool effects and scenes... but eventually there was no real soul to it. It was just a long-winded adventure leading to complete bullshit about love running the world etc. Like some feminist's version of the conscious universe theorem with logic holes all over the place. Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie. But not great.

The martian on the other hand was almost equally interesting from a scientific viewpoint, while also being an objectively great movie. Where Interstellar was slow, boring and childish, Martian was well paced, fun, extremely entertaining, even educational, and left me with a good positive vibe afterwards.

Thanks for bursting my bubble. :(

>People
No, just Americans.

millenifag beginning statement with "so"
GTFO nao

fucking this.

when this shit-tier movie makes it to pretty much every top-ten sci-fi movie list on the internet, you realize what horrible taste the general population has in movies as well as just how poorly educated they actually are.

lol wut?

inception sucked such a fat dick, it was mindlessly droll and other than the whole "lets go into your suddenly cohesive dreams" bit, it was empty of any actual thought, propping itself up on action sequences themselves propped up on lots and lots of guns à la The Matrix, and "let's just make the plot purposely obscured so that we dont have to do anything that might actually be intelligent", à la Lost.

If this movie impressed you, you are confirmed for both low-iq and easily impressed.

Similarly, The Martian was a snooze fest. Start off with a completely implausible sequence of events just to allow the plot to exist, then literally duct-tape the rest of the plot together. Some of the science was interesting, but come fucking on. Worst part of the movie? You know he is going to survive. For the entire fucking movie, you know he is going to make it back. This is why my ass fell asleep, if yours didnt, you probably need to work to preserve your remaining brain cells before early-onset dimentia sets in.

Did you read the Martian before you saw the movie? I'm wondering if that's why you knew what was going to happen.

Also, I could say the same shit about interstellar. You didn't "know" he was going to make it back alive, you correctly assumed it. And being right made you a little bit too cocky. Keep in mind who you actually are because it isn't a renowned movie critic.

>must be a renowned movie critic in order to form an intelligent and critical opinion of a film

lol is that honestly your retort?

and no, i didn't read the book. if you honestly think you have to read the book to not be able to see the blatantly obvious ending to that movie before it happens, you either havent seen very many films and dont recognize plot device for what it is, or you are an idiot.

based on your arguments here, im going with the latter.

With interstellar, it seemed a lot more possible that he wouldnt come back, especially once he fell into the black hole. the fact that his daughter lived on and he acted thru her influencing the climax of the plot, made it even more possible that he would be "sacrificed". But he wasnt, they went for the big save trope, which frankly was a weaker, cornier finish (something which is one of the main sources of criticism for this film). If you were going to point out a real obvious "plot-twist" in this one, you should have mentioned matt damon's character being a bad-guy. You could see that coming about a million miles away. That said, at least he pulled it off well, his cowardice and desperation to get home made his traitorous actions all the more plausible within the frame of the movie, even if they threatened all of humanity. good acting on his part and decent writing of the aftermath saved that otherwise boring "twist".

Yes, they are movies. Obviously the plots aren't going to make much sense. Inception wasn't good because it was deep and intellectual, or scientifically accurate like Interstellar and the Martian were. It was good because it was entertaining. It had great characters, good acting, and an entertaining thriller like plot - even if it had nothing to do with realism.

As for the rest, if you really need to resort to insulting someone's intelligence because of a different taste in movies... well, that's just some special kind of irony right there. If you catch my drift.

No person, or really anything comprised of matter would be able to survive passing the even horizon, so what does it matter? We have absolutely zero comprehension of what actually happens at the singularity other then pure theory. And with the huge time dilation wouldn't the whole universe come to an end before you even reached it?

Please read up on supermassive black holes, tidal forces, and how the volume of the black hole grows relative to its mass, before making such flawed statements. Thanks.

Primer
12 Monkeys

Don't piss him off, he might reply with an animated GIF; then you'll be fucked.

There's no indication that a ship or human could possibly survive beyond an event horizon and some hypotheses posit that the force of contact between the ship and the event horizon would completely obliterate the former.
They were free to posit whatever the hell they wanted at the center of Gargantua because after a certain point it becomes impossible to tell what the fuck is going on inside of a black hole. Conventional models fall apart at the singularity. The appearance of the black hole was apparently based off of a computer program written to simulate the behavior of a black hole, although I'd speculate that the disk of material would be extraordinarily bright. They didn't do that because it wouldn't be practical to blind the audience every time the black hole is shown on screen.

>There's no indication that a ship or human could possibly survive beyond an event horizon

Yes there is. You can easily survive entering a large black hole's event horizon. It's the smaller ones that kill you from gravitational tidal forces, and they do it before you even reach the horizon. Supermassive black holes spread out their distortion of space time enough to make passing their event horizon an imperceptible event.

>Supermassive black holes spread out their distortion of space time enough to make passing their event horizon an imperceptible event.

So you'll be doomed and not know it yet.

Like Trump, lmao.