What lie do you tell yourself every day to ignore the fact that you weren't born a prodigy in a supportive environment?

What lie do you tell yourself every day to ignore the fact that you weren't born a prodigy in a supportive environment?

Other urls found in this thread:

mathoverflow.net/questions/43690/whats-a-mathematician-to-do#comment103989_43690
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

quantum immortality

quantum teleportation

quantum lotery

Quantum socialization

I have my hands full trying to see through all other lies in this world. Don't even have time to start with my own.

don't want to get a real job, so I have to work hard to become a math professor at a second rate university

quantum pussy lmao

That's perfectly fine because prodigys in supportive environments probably don't have much in the way of content to their character.

Why don't you move to a cheap place and live on interest instead.

I tell myself that I'll raise to greatness eventually

Faraday

This is just a badly disguised failed management rant. You don't blame the resource for being too tough for your tools or work methods, you find new methods or build new tools which work better with the resources you are working on.

Holi

I try to convince myself that nothing really interests me anymore except for working . I really want to have sex though.

Ramanujan

No lies just drugs.

Sex can be fun, but not really worth the emotional rollercoaster desu.

I have always loved the following G. K. Chesterton quote. From memory: "A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." I like doing the things I do.

src: mathoverflow.net/questions/43690/whats-a-mathematician-to-do#comment103989_43690

Yeah I agree, I'm usually horny though. Sometimes I have to rub one out at the faculty bathroom. The funny thing is that bathroom is located near my advisor's room. So, usually afterwards I've done it, I visit his room to talk to him. Who am I kidding ? I can not convince myself. Everything is fucking interesting. Why can't the universe let me stay obsessed over a few things. It would be boring though. hahaha bye.

Femanon?
Rare breed around these parts...

No. Why would you assumed that?

>What lie do you tell yourself every day to ignore the fact that you weren't born a prodigy in a supportive environment?

I tell myself that I was born a prodigy in a supportive environment

one of your base assumptions is flawed

there is no such thing as the self

>>rub one out
>must be femanon
ok m8

I had a pretty shit childhood, never finished school or had any decent role models. I drank the "education isn't important" koolaid my parents served me until I was nearly 20.

I don't have a lie to tell and it keeps me from even trying. Whenever I hit something I don't immediately find easy I spiral into depression. I dropped out of college, can't afford to try again, and can't even bring myself to learn for leisure. I can barely hold down a job.

I am completely consumed by the fear of hitting a yet unknown intellectual wall, beyond which I will never be able to see. Of course, I'm just making matters worse by not using what I DO have.

I don't know, an hero looks like a more tempting option each day.

I just accept it. I love math even if I'm too dumb to make contributions.

The line between genius and idiot is really thin, isn't it? I have no way of knowing which one I am.

I read pessimistic philosophy

Actually trying to dismantling the self could have rather interesting effects on kids' development... I wonder if anyone has tried that. Well, not that I'd expect very many to consider experimenting on babies ethically OK...

>The line between genius and idiot is really thin, isn't it?

No it isn't.

I think you mean
>the line between genius and autist
this is much closer to truth

He was both prodigy and had supportive environment... But maybe you mean his so-called goddess, good luck with that mate)))

And listen to evanescence

Parents have done lots of experimenting on kids throughout history. Heck even schooling is practically a kind of experimenting with kids. School system and philosophies of learning change at least once every 10 or 20 years, doesn't it. It's a question of time until we try to regulate or map up kids thoughts from such an early age they never even learn to assume their thought even could be their own.

You're probably an idiot in that case.

Quantum dark up pentaquarks

what's the difference, really? An autist without proper channels to express himself looks like an idiot

All chenposters are geniuses.

Yes. Could be lots of smart things going on but he is unable to communicate it without accidentally triggering emotions to the left and right which distract normal people.

idiot - lacking intelligence
autist - lacking social shit

idiocy is rather severe case of mental disability, mate

I'm a prodigy but have shit parents who forced me to repeat grades because I got into fights with the teachers about how slow they taught

Amish would had already build that snowboard hall :D

If anything, I lie to myself that I don't care. Whether I'm a prodigy or not, nothing has stopped me from learning math nor will it at any point. The only effect might be that I won't end up with an academic position as a pure mathematician hence I am going to pursue applied math which I probably won't either achieve such a position either. At least industry will be easier to pursue this way. The distinction is mostly arbitrary anyway.

>it's going to get better
>the worst thing that could happen in my life is dying a single man and career high school math teacher in nebraska

>it's not my families fault they don't understand higher education

>i'll make my parents proud one day

Here's a new one
>you're actually unaware but the white race of America has collectively elected you their king and Taylor Swift your queen

>at least you have a bs in physics

>your brother with a long term gf is still living at home

>you had sex once last year

>women want you

>faggots are despicable

>at least I'm white

>at least my parents are middle class

>at least i have a job

>at least people like me

Every femanon I know likes to rub one out next to their advisors room prior to speaking with them.

>supportive environment
>Born in India in the 19th century in pretty much nowhere as far as top research in mathematics.
Pick one.

quantum sexual intercourse

Well I'm a lazy fuck. I would rather spend all day watching SpongeBob than read an entire math textbook