Chemistry major

>Chemistry major
What am I in for?

not an exact science

Being pretty smart and resourceful but having a hard time getting a job out of academia. I recommend an application through grad school if possible.
Chemistry is awesome but chemistry majors are underutilized in the US.

a lot of Breaking Bad meth jokes and poor job prospects

Literally this. To anybody reading this post interested in chemistry, go to fucking chemical engineering unless you want to go with the PhD or die route.

Doesn't that major require a shitload of mathematics skills?

this guy knows

so does chemistry. Are you bad at maths?

Yeah just graduated with a BSc in medicinal chem (UK). Wish I'd done ChemEng. 80% of people I know sold out into finance (who fucking love science/chem grads, you start same position as someone who did an economics degree), 10% further academia, rest to pharma industry where the pay isn't great and there's not much progression. Everyone important in there has a master's or PhD so you don't get too far. For myself I'm teaching myself web design and code and hopefully going into data analysis

No wonder chemfags never talk shit on here.

If I am, am I fucked?

I'm a chemistry major right now, going to second year of college. Am I fucked? I like chemistry alot and I do want to work in the field, but not in academia.

>What am I in for?

Very little:

General Chemistry + lab
Analytical Chemistry
Organic Chemistry + labs
Physical Chem (Thermal Chem) + lab
Physical Chem (Quantum Chem)
Inorganic Chemistry
Instrumental Analysis
Multi-variable Calculus
Matrix Algebra
General Physics

And that's the full major.

do i get job at least? maybe with a master?

Legal
Fun
Well Paying

Pick 2

legal and well paying?

kek

What would illegal, fun, and well paying look like?

Walter White?

Damn, if that isn't accurate as fuck...
Not entirely, as long as you can grind through Calc 2 or 3 you should be good. Depending on what you do as a chemist, you may or may not use a shit load of math in your actual career. Something like 80% of chemists work in analysis doing quality control/assurance work. You'll have to setup a spreadsheet, maybe, and do all your calculations from there. You'll also probably have to keep an obnoxiously detailed book on every single inch of data you collect.

Otherwise you may do some fun shit in academia like computer modeling on atomic structures or something to that effect. Then you'll need to use your math skills. Chemical synthesis and the like doesn't really use a shit load of math though, outside of 2ez stoicheometry and some basic data analysis stuff.

What do you want to do in the field of chemistry? Are you looking at analysis? Because industry likes analytical chemists. If you're looking at any form of synthesis work, swap to ChemE or plan on doing a PhD.

I'm fine with analytical but I would like to do something more exotic like nuclear chemistry or something, which required PhD I'm sure.
Is the job market for Chemistry pretty bad?
And if you are stuck in a shit school with a shit chemistry program but got accepted to one with very good chemistry program with connection and all, but out of state, is it worth it?

This thread is depressing

kek whos the meme now cunts

nah

Comparably less autists in chemistry so I think they're a notch up

>implying chem majors can't be code monkeys too

> tfw chemistry gives you a lot of transferable skills

My primary major was math which is even more rich in transferable skills, but chemistry is very good for that.

fuck you guys are mad lmao

>(You)
Oh you're right.....we all got memed guys :(

my guess is they're busy working and not having pointless discussions on a laosian crochet forum

I can confirm this. Right now I'm working on finding a job. I've been busy working trying to find a job related to my field for the past three years. All this hard work might pay off in the distant future.

>all that lime jello

what's your field user, if you don't mind my asking

Does it help to be double majored with chem?
my other major is physics, but I want to work in a more chem-based field.

Why is the water green

I like this
gj user

>What am I in for?

Unemployment, or underemployment, followed by tens of thousands of $$ and another four years out of your life to get another degree which isn't garbage. Like chemical engineering.

Is the job outlook for biochemistry any better than chemistry?

Basically, a dumbed down and less employable version of ChemE

a lot of not chemistry

I see eye to eye with Veeky Forums on many things, but academic and industrial chemistry degree prospects (outside the US) is one area where you guys consistently and shamelessly overextend yourselves.

Where I'm from in Europe (Cork) there is a booming national sector for pharmaceuticals which provides great funding and scholarships for analytic and orgchem undergrads. I also think most of.you lack experience beyond an undergrad or are American-exceptionary as your analysis invariably fails to mention the immense value of Chemists in interdisciplinary teams, which are more common in Europe.

Basically USA a shit europe and experimental org chem a best

Also that slumped oversaturated market only exists in the USA. Shouldn't have let physics steal all your public funding with memeing spacemen and wheelchairbound shittalkers.

You will need to propagate knowledge of snowboard halls all over...

You will get doing some interesting heatpipe fluids, so my snowboardhalls will be amazing project.... I hope you know enought about it importancy to have snowboardhalls all over...

It seems like it is. From what I read its way better to major in biochemistry then chemistry

we work at unrelated fields
technically i'm employed at a chemistry company but i do basic coding and photoshop designs all week long, I have a theoretical chemistry MSc for fuck sake

algae and zika

>ignoring all the electives you must take
With this, every major is "very little"