What do you think of my steak, ck?

What do you think of my steak, ck?

Pan seared ribeye, rare, served with frites and shichimi togarashi.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PnK1rb7XqDs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I like rare steak (just grilled one last night, myself), so I would eat that, but it looks like you took the heat too high. But that's unavoidable when your steak is less than an inch thick, so I'm not going to criticize. (Thicker steaks are actually easier to cook to perfection, imo). If you like eating steak on a regular basis (and by that, I mean every 1-2 weeks or more) I suggest buying a whole ribeye or new york strip loin and having it cut to spec if you have the room in your freezer. I just did that last week. This time, I bought a whole NY strip and had it cut into 1 1/2 inch steaks. It was $85, but they cut and wrapped them for free, and it was still $2 less per pound than buying them individually, and it came out to 11 steaks total. Just a suggestion.

>frites

CUT IT OPEN

I love ribeye and rare steak but not that rare. Medium rare are all the way for me. Due to the thickness of ribeyes to get my preferred doneness I'll just sear it and give it a crust in a very hot pan, and some butter to the pan when U'm ready, give it a few minutes in the over and then let it rest for 10 mins.

You did pretty alright I reckon.

Looks chewy as fuck, might as well have it well-done.

That sounds like a good idea, but how does freezing the steak affect the texture, particularly if you cook it on the rarer side?

I'm all for rare steak but only if its a lean cut, something fatty like ribeye I'll take medium rare. That said if you like it that way good job, looks good tho famalam

Not at all, if you have a deep freezer. I have a small chest deep freezer, and I try to keep it stocked with different meats, fish, made-ahead foods, and meat stocks. The freezer attached to your refrigerator is not as good for freezing meats, though. Those are usually "frost free", which can cause freezer burn, while deep freezers are not frost free. You just have to make sure that you wrap and package your steaks well. The butcher that cut mine packaged each steak separately, but then when I got them home, I also wrapped them in cling wrap first, and then wrapped them in thick paper bags as well before freezing. It's all about how well it's wrapped. They defrost and cook beautifully, otherwise I wouldn't do it, especially since I have a passion for good beef. I wish I could show you one, but that will have to wait until the next time I make steak.

It's fuckin raw! Just kidding, but it is too rare. Yes there is such a thing as too rare.

Also I can't tell if that's a pool of grease and oil or just the nastiest looking dinnerware on god's good earth.

Was that cold when you seared it?

What the fuck is shichimi togarashi and what business does it have being anywhere near a steak? (Not criticizing genuinely curious)

It's japanese hot pepper. Tastes great on all kinds of stuff. I use it like I'd use any other ground hot chili pepper.

Looks good, nice crust on the steak. I like the togarashi idea as well. The hacked up curly parsley is kind of lame and pointless though. I have to agree with the too rare comments as well.. ribeye is too fatty to cook rare. While the eye itself might be fine the cap and surrounding fat need more cooking to render and crisp. Thanks for sharing.

>in crocodile Dundee voice:

"That's not a steak, this is a steak."

That pic reminds me of Hawksmoor.

Looks good overall.

You got nice crust which. I usually like my ribeyes more medium rare because the good fat turns into that jelly buttery goodness and it isn't cold. Yours looks pretty rare but that's all personal preference obviously.

I would ditch the parsley next time. No flavor added at all in my opinion. I know people add it for color but I just wish the parsley meme would die. At least you didn't season the plate with parsley like they did in the 90's

Just make sure you have them vacuum sealed. My butcher charges like 50 cents for each bag but it's totally worth it. Butcher paper is shit if you want to freeze it.

You could leave them in the freezer for a year and they will still taste fine with no freezer burn. Plus if you want to thaw them quick you just throw them in a bowl under cold running water when they are still in the vacuum seal, restaurants do that shit all the time.

parsley freshens the breath a bit. maybe eating a sprig after a meal to cleanse was an idea?
I mean I never used it, nor did anyone I know, but I've since learned it is a use of parsley and wonder if it was intended

It seems to be mostly used for color but I see people throwing whole bundles in stocks and shit. I mean have these fucks ever tasted plain parsley. It pretty much tastes like grass. There are so many other delicious herbs I just will never understand the whole obsession with parsley.

Parsley has its uses, but randomly tossing it raw on a steak is not one of them.

Woulda given it a little longer, personally, since that's pretty rare even for rare.

Supermarket steaks I cook medium-rare to medium

Steaks that I get from the local butcher from local beef I cook rare.

Nothing is better than a fresh cut steak.

you can use flat leaf parsley for the garnish too you know

Undercooked on the inside, overcooked on the out.

I'm betting was cool when you seared it, fat isn't melted.

I know you're plating but get that garnish off it, especially because you're plating on a colored plate.

6/10 you tried.

OP here.

I do like the leaner part that rare, but agree with everyone about the fat needing more time to "melt" on a steak like a ribeye.

The steak was at room temperature when it was cooked; the pan was just smoking hot. Also, the parsley was leftover, already chopped, from some puttanesca made a few nights earlier and was going to go to waste, so I just threw it on for the fuck of it.

I just got the shichimi togarashi and have been trying it on everything - it's pretty amazing. Here's a video about it: youtube.com/watch?v=PnK1rb7XqDs

>no deep freezer to fill with bulk priced steaks

>he actually thinks you have to get steak to room temp before cooking it

Prep cook/10 see me after class

>Letting a steak warm is the same as it being room temperature

>It's okay to put meat on heat straight out of the fridge

>Cooking professionally is any indication of cooking skill

Sorry, Please Try Again.

It is ok to take it out of the fridge right onto the heat, prove me wrong. You can't though cause you believe cooking memes

>frites
>one and a half fries
What did you do peel the rest of the potato in the bin?

Shit, you got me :/

Depends on if you care about the details like how long you have to cook a steak to reach the desired internal temperature and if you want your steak to be perfectly cooked throughout or have a gradual slope of we'll done to desired temp in the very middle. There are a few people here that cook at a high level so your disdain might impress a few home cooks or even those that cook in a "decent" kitchen professionally but it's clear your understanding of cooking meat is rudimentary at best.

lol fucking pouser, it's just a meme that dipshits started spouting IRL and never died. If you work the grill might have some steaks out of the drawer to put on the grill but there's virtually no evidence that a steak at room temp cooks any differently than one out of a fridge.

Lol. Using that logic a frozen steak will cook up just the same as a room temperature steak right? Or to look at it another way, try letting a frozen pizza come to room temperature and then cook it like the box tells you to and tell me it makes no difference. You are so butthurt about getting called out you aren't even thinking this through. As for being a poser, well.. let's just say I'm not insecure enough to spend too much time telling you who I've worked for but if you are in fact a professional cook or even a passionate home cook, you should check your ego and do some research. This is an amazing time to be a cook because there is a wealth of information, not just about recipes but techniques and the science of cooking out there for anyone that wants to look for it. Educate yourself and contribute something useful instead of misinformation.

it was too cold when you seared it

that immediate transition from well cooked sear to completely raw middle is a hallmark of meat that was too cold and cooked at too high of a temperature

my advice: let the meat sit until it is room temperature or near, then throw it in a pan to sear. you will achieve a much better steak

Nigga don't... I wanna go back to the Spitalfields one...

See,

>the steak was at room temperature when it was cooked; the pan was just smoking hot

At many steak restaurants they cook their steaks to temp on a grill/in a pan/in an oven and then finish them under a very hot broiler just to get a good sear. Putting a room temp steak into a very hot pan is analogous to putting it under one of those broilers: it gives it a really good crust before the inside really gets a chance to cook.