Is traveling a meme Veeky Forums ? I just feel it's a waste of time discovering cities for "inspiration"...

is traveling a meme Veeky Forums ? I just feel it's a waste of time discovering cities for "inspiration". what are your thoughts?

Going somewhere like a small Breton town isn't useless, going to Disneyworld is

>traveling to Berlin
>city is average
>discover Pergamon museum
>mfw

ironcly tho most french people hate bretons

It's memefied booj shit yea, literal escapism

Cities they're eh. Once you go to enough foreign cities they kind of all are pretty much the same. Now landscapes and nature on the other hand vary a lot more so those could be some good places to find inspiration

same here. went to paris and amsterdam and it was okay. but the louvre and reijksmuseum are goat. pergamon is nice too.

I would think going to a place you have learned a lot off(lets say greece if you've read 'the greeks') could be quite insightful, nonetheless interesting.

is it true that china is the ultimate travel destination for a westerner considering how different it is there (i'm not talking about meme hong kong ofc)

Travelling has become more or less like travelling to Disneyland. Most tourists do trips for several days to maybe 2 weeks, stick to "the sights" and spend most of their time getting drunk and eating.

All of this is very pleasant, but please don't pretend like this is somehow expanding your sense of humanity.

I find it shocking how many people go to Churches or Battlefields or Ruins without having any knowledge before-hand of their significance, snap some photographs and leave.

You will learn much more about "the sights" from books.

If you''re going to spend half the time taking pictures don't bother.

But honestly it dosent matter where you go so much as how you approach where you are. Plenty people hop around continents and don't learn much of anything.

If you want inspiration and advenutes, go for a backpacking-trip through Spain after reading Don Quixote.

not lit related, blocked, reported and you should be ashamed of yourself for starting a topic

seriously consider suicide

Siscovering a new city with a bunch of friends is nice. Alone, nah. I spend my day going through Ljubljana because my flight was delayed and I couldn't stand it. (I secretly only did it in the hope of bumping into Slavoj)

Yes, unless you travel by foot, sailing/rowing or horse.

Especially worthless if you travel just to study ephemera like architecture or relics of civilization.
Yes, my views are at the moment somewhat incoherent and for lack of a better word eclectic, but I am beginning to believe that long distance travel is inherently satanic.

going berlin on friday for the weekend, give me some recs pls

better go to hamburg.

interacting with people in foreign countries will "expand your sense of humanity", please do not be so pretentious

I can only see that happening if you're a racist to begin with, the opposite is equally possible (when people don't meet your expectations or offend your sensibilities), and a lot of travel destinations have people who are more or less exactly the same (Americans visiting Germany).

I knew a girl who went to Israel and came back basically disliking Arabs on account of having her wallet stolen by what Israelis told her must have been an Arab.

Then again I know another girl who was a racist (that is, she thought less of Arabs than humans generally), went there, ate dinner with an Arab family and came back with a deeper regard for them.

If you're thoughtful, none of this is necessary. It can be great to meet different sorts of people, but as an end it's an unnatural way to construct lasting relationships. Conversations with cab drivers are fun and interesting. Please don't pretend like it's expanding your sense of humanity.

PS, pretentious is not the word you're looking for.

I think 'expanding your sense of humanity' is broader than developing or rethinking prejudices. Exposure to other types of life, cultures and ways of thinking has more significance than the application of becoming less of a racist or something banal like that.

>other types of life, cultures and ways of thinking
top meme

Pack heat.

Yes, becoming deeply involved in a foreign way of life, learning the languages, slowly coming to understand the symbols, practices and aesthetic sensibilities, is what one typically thinks of when they imagine "travelling."

get rejected from berghain