I bought a pork roast for pulling and when I opened it up the bottom edge was still covered in skin...

I bought a pork roast for pulling and when I opened it up the bottom edge was still covered in skin. I cut it off and was going to toss it, but I suddenly got the feeling that I was going to miss out on one of those surprisingly delicious old-world dishes made from parts that are usually thrown out.

What would Veeky Forums do with this little slab of fatty pig skin?

Other urls found in this thread:

baconsheir.com/pages/how-to-make-pork-rinds
google.co.uk/search?q=pork scratchings&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVq7fsyqvQAhVGKsAKHaljD-EQ_AUICSgB&biw=1280&bih=619
theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/aug/23/homemade-pork-scratchings-picnic-family
savageandsage.com/2015/04/20/whats-for-dinner-pig-skin-in-sunday-sauce-braciole-di-cotenna/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cut it into small strips, dehydrate it, then deep fry it

that's how you make pork rinds

make pork scratchings. use google for a recipe/cooking instructions. you will not be disappointed.

make sure you scorth it proper

EAT IT RAW

I gather scratchings and rinds are the same thing? Should I have just the skin, or the tissue underneath? There was a layer of fat under most of it, so it's about half an inch thick. Should I trim?

yeah you want just skin, remove that fat. You can render down the fat and use the grease to fry the skin though

I'd trim it until it's about a cm thick and cut it into thin cm wide strips. You can either deep fry them for 5-10 minutes or roast them in a hot oven, which'll take a while longer, but just keep checking. Be careful if you have bad teeth.

Roughly chop the fat up and you can dump it in a pan on low and ignore it until you end up with a few crispy bits and a pan full of delicious pork lard to cook with.

Chinese people like the chewy, gelatinous texture of pork skin that's been braised for a few hours, but I think most people find that kinda gross.

Don't worry, my chef's katana has been folded over a million times and I've been training with it for years now.

Cool, sounds good. I'm glad I came here before throwing it out.

with scratchings, you keep the fat and bake it in the oven.

This is SO wrong. Keep the fat on when deepfrying, its the best part.

Okay, I'm seeing the difference between scratchings and rinds now. I think I may do scratchings just because I'm pretty busy today (that's why I was making something in the slowcooker) and scratchings sound a little less involved.

Is it possible to make rinds/scratchings without an oven or do really need to dehydrate the skin first? I don't have access to an oven, but I was thinking of letting it dry out in the fridge. Anybody have a better idea?

Maybe having a thick layer of fat doesn't work as well in the oven? I've never tried deep frying them but you're right that the sort of pork foam the fat turns into is great.

plenty of salt on both sides. add spices five or ten mins before it is all crispy. make a lovely snack when you're drinking.

not for pork rinds, you don't want any fat on them because it won't puff up in the fryer. You could leave it on if you're making chicharrones (similar idea but without dehydrating first) but those usually also have meat attached still. I probably wouldn't eat chicharrones that didn't still have meat on them

yeah man if you just dry them as well as you can, cut them up and get them frying, you'll have something tasty to eat after an hour or two. It does take a while, unfortunately. You really want that fat to render down otherwise it's chewy instead of soft

What methods do you have to use then, to make pork rinds puff up?

you have to put the skin into a dehydrator till it's hard and greatly reduced in size, then you just deep fry those bits and they puff up right away

baconsheir.com/pages/how-to-make-pork-rinds

Whoa, it's just like the way prawn crackers behave. I wonder what it is about dehydrating them that makes them puff up like that.

"Pork skins puff when fried because they have been dehydrated to the point that there is only a small amount of water remaining in the skin. When skins hit the fryer, this water turns to steam and puffs the skins."

>parts that are usually thrown out
>the skin

What third world shithole do you call home?

>Puff up

What in the good lords name? Why would you puff up pork scratchings? That's just weird.

Well ofcourse a pork joint has skin on it. Are you new to cooking?

>Why would you puff up pork scratchings?
Pork Scratchings are puffed up mate . . . .in Britain at least. Crackling is different.

Who the hell owns a dehydrator.

No, no they are not.

They are deep fried for scratchings, they are nothing like prawn crackers.

You have never stepped foot on Britain in your life.

>You have never stepped foot on Britain in your life.
I have lived in Britain for 50 years . . . please tell me more?

Where is the puff in this image?

Clearly you haven't if something as simple as pork scratchings is a foreign concept to you.

Pork Scratchings
They are deep fried Crackling . ... far more puffed up than regular crackling.

I don't get what you are trying to prove.

Answer the question, where are the puffed up objects in this image

You replied to my comment about pork rinds. Google a picture of pork rinds you fucking retard. Did I mention pork scratchings? No. They're different than pork rinds. Jesus christ you're stupid.

I guess you referenced the wrong post but is puffed up crackling.

If you can't see that, then bigger fool you.

If your pork scratchings are puffed up like wotsits as seen in this weird yank image then you are clearly a foreigner.

So you're just shitposting, fool on me for responding to you for so long.

>then you are clearly a foreigner.
I am probably older than you Dad. and lived in Britain longer than he has.

But please, go ahead. . . .. let a 19 year old kid tell me about Pork scratchings, it's rather amusing.

Not the other guy. You're buying the shit kind mate, the real ones have the skin and fat layer intact.

You really are just a shitposter trying to derail the thread.

>Not the other guy.
Of course you are the other guy samefagging.

I have been in more Pubs than you have had hot dinners lad.
Pork Scratchings are deep fried Crackling, no amount of googling silly pictures will detract from that.

Grow up.

Look at all that puffiness.

That pork scratching is clearly similar to a prawn cracker.

Your shitposting is as tiresome as it is stale.

REKT

He is right

Ignore that retard, he is telling us that something commonly eaten here is wrong and something Americans eat that you can't even get here is what we eat.

And pictures proving him to be full of shit are just some sort of conspiracy.

Americans used to put effort into their shitposting.

So you called us samefagging so you could deflect from samefagging yourself.

We are dealing with a 12 year old at best.

Actually that retard is right.
You tried to prove something that he has already proven.
Learn to live with defeat.

What an odd thing to shitpost about, telling us that a commonly eaten food is something completely different.

You're saying that burgers are made of chocolate.

I don't even care about your shitposts either because the facts speak for themselves.

You are a very weird little person. I pity you.

You even type like and have the mentality of a yank.

I mean put "pork scratchings" into google and see what comes up.
Go on the wikipedia page.
Speak to an actual British person.

Your attempts to call the sky purple are strange.

Pork scratchings in Britain are called Pork Rinds here in the USA, so the old Brit is correct.

I don't understand why the other fag is arguing?

>Go on the wikipedia page.
Are you serious?

You have been BTFO already . . . why do you persist?

This is amusing more than anything.

Two two products have different production methods and end results so your shitposting is just precious.

They are two separate items made from the same ingredient my fat little chum.

I find your shitposting amusing 2bh.

Your attempts to make me say there are five lights are fascinating.

kek
You seem to be at odds with everybody.

Like I said, ask an adult, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Your saving grace is that this board is anonymous and nobody can see how retarded you are.

Or your samefag postings eg.

Are you disabled or what?

You think
Are the same? Wiki says you are wrong. Google says you are wrong. British common consumption says you are wrong. The world says you are wrong. No amount of samefagging and retardation will save you.

google.co.uk/search?q=pork scratchings&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiVq7fsyqvQAhVGKsAKHaljD-EQ_AUICSgB&biw=1280&bih=619

Nigga u dum

Butthurt samefag

theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/aug/23/homemade-pork-scratchings-picnic-family

Nigga u dum

they aren't though. they're made with different processes and they're a different end product

use google

>use google
You have no idea what you are talking about outside of Google.
We call them pork rinds, Brits call them pork scratchings, it's the same thing. You have already been blown out just stop posting.

You are one stupid fuck.

Do you enjoy getting btfo?

I think he has autism.

The countless recipes, links, pictures and cultural usage posted vs one shitposting American.

It's clear he is a sad bastard who doesn't have any friends.

Watch, he will select both our posts, call us samefags, ignore everything putting him in his place and have a vague mention of being btfo.

Let's watch shall we.

>friendly, useful thread
>devolves into four dozen post long argument about whether chicharones exist or not

Good old Veeky Forums.

Pork scratchings are delicious but I think you can dare a bit more than that :v

Try this recipe:
savageandsage.com/2015/04/20/whats-for-dinner-pig-skin-in-sunday-sauce-braciole-di-cotenna/

Is amazing, you will go looking for pork skin next time :v