This has been popping up a lot recently, is this a new meme I'm unaware of?

This has been popping up a lot recently, is this a new meme I'm unaware of?

Is this legit?

I don't get it

>No Henry James Varieties of Religious Experience
>No St. Augustine
>No Sufi texts
>No historical-critical texts regarding the evolution of Christianity and Paul
>No Evola or Marx
>Freud
>Jung
>Graves(?!)

It looks like some shitter took a community college course and through together a chart based off his required reading

Looks like Foundations in New Age Mumbo Jumbo.
Some of it gas merit, but I don't know that it needs be grouped as some kind of inclusive curriculum

It's a "Start with the Sumerians" chart.

>Freud
>Jung

>no Mauss
>no Girard

>>No St. Augustine
>>No Sufi texts
>>No historical-critical texts regarding the evolution of Christianity and Paul
>>No Evola or Marx

One of the better charts Veeky Forums has made, but I'd replace Patterns with either The History or The Sacred and the Profane

t. Eliadeboo

Name dropping shit heels, explainations or reasons would be nice

>william james

It's a barebones kit. Something you could digest easily in the course of a few months and have decent insight into mythology, the mind, tinges of philosophy. After this it would be a straight on "Now you may begin with the Greeks and better understand shit compared to a virgin 'start with the greeks'".

Well if you want to get into understanding the patterns and themes of religion and mythology you have to start with Golden Bough. You could start elsewhere but the Golden Bough is a masterpiece. So you obviously want to start with Frazer and move on to Eliade from there, its just a fact. And with Freud, regardless of how he tainted his work with his personal beliefs but you have to give the guy a break, at least he formulated it. He discovered the unconscious, so to speak. Freud is a stepping stone to Jung. You have to walk a fine line with Jung because while he's easy to understand he's also easy to misunderstand, everything he talks about is biologically based, he never was literal in his mysticism. Joseph Campbell ties all that in with his encyclopedic understanding of mythical imagery and his hero quest cycle. I threw in Graves because fuck you, but anyway I thought having a better understanding of poetry, and especially in regards to its ties to mythology, would help as well. Poetry has a flexibility and capacity to embrace more meaning than Prose. Understanding poetic language, at least in a basic form helps with Gebser.

Gebser is the final boss.

it is clearly a comparative religon/mythology list. why would any of that shit be on there?

>Poetry has a flexibility and capacity to embrace more meaning than Prose.

Its better at compacting, while prose is better at plain explication.

>Gebser is the final boss.

>le wiki

Gebser's major thesis was that human consciousness is in transition, and that these transitions are "mutations" and not continuous. These jumps or transformations involve structural changes in both mind and body. Gebser held that previous consciousness structures continue to operate parallel to the emergent structure.

Consciousness is "presence", or "being present":[6]

As Gebser understands the term, "conscious is neither knowledge nor conscience but must be understood for the time being in the broadest sense as wakeful presence."

Each consciousness structure eventually becomes deficient, and is replaced by a following structure. The stress and chaos in Europe from 1914 to 1945 were the symptoms of a structure of consciousness that was at the end of its effectiveness, and which heralded the birth of a new form of consciousness. The first evidence he witnessed was in the novel use of language and literature. He modified this position in 1943 so as to include the changes which were occurring in the arts and sciences at that time.

His thesis of the failure of one structure of consciousness alongside the emergence of a new one led him to inquire as to whether such had not occurred before. His work, Ursprung und Gegenwart is the result of that inquiry. It was published in various editions from 1949 to 1953, and translated into English as The Ever-Present Origin. Working from the historical evidence of almost every major field, (e.g., poetry, music, visual arts, architecture, philosophy, religion, physics and the other natural sciences, etc.) Gebser saw traces of the emergence (which he called "efficiency") and collapse ("deficiency") of various structures of consciousness throughout history.

I like it but I started with Campbell and golden bough has been on my list for ages so I've got to read it now I guess

I'm in the middle of reading Ever-present Origin atm.

Where to go after Gebser?

improve this list

suggestions?

applicable suggestions pls, don't just throw out Descartes or something

The Golden Bough is the single best book on the philosophy of religion and of religious science ever written.

reaaalllly?

>been doing nothing but studying Jung and mythology for the past 3 weeks
>quantitatively seeing information about it coming up more and more on its own accord
>mfw synchronicity is real

I've seen The Golden Bough mentioned 4 separate times in the past week, though never having heard of it before. Guess I should read it.

is the oxford edition fine?

FUCK OFF THE JUNGIAN SHIT
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

for real, campbell is complete garbage and reviled in the academy

It's missing The Bicameral Brain or Mind or whatever that thing was called.

IS THE OXFORD EDITION FINE??

lol no

Yes the Oxford is fine lol

Your opinion is a shit and your waifu is a shit

then what is, smart guy?

The Golden Bough is kind of outdated/frowned upon by Classicists, though they typically recognize its contemporary influence. Sort of like Freud to Psychology.

then what some good books for this stuff

Eliade

Gaddis liked it fuck you

bump

This list really needs to get expanded. Can anyone add some suggestions?