Hey Veeky Forums I've been wondering about what particles are and all I find on the internet is what I learned in...

Hey Veeky Forums I've been wondering about what particles are and all I find on the internet is what I learned in high-school. What are particles actually like? What is an electron, are they physical things?

Other urls found in this thread:

springer.com/us/book/9783540337317
google.com.pe/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwj_oM721MnOAhVCGx4KHULrB6EQFghCMAM&url=http://worthylab.tamu.edu/courses_files/popper_conjecturesandrefutations.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGMV8lZ7shUm1AA4HFdJldWw-JfmQ
hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/dielec.html
youtu.be/J3xLuZNKhlY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Each particle is unique. Electrons are very different from protons who are very different from neutrons.

Irreducible representations of some lie algebra

We know they are spherical, and each kind of particle has different parameters:
>mass/energy
>spin
>charge

You want to read about:
>electrons
>protons
>neutrons
>photons
>neutrinos
>tachyon
for starters

But what is a particle made of? I can understand how they work, somewhat. But I have a very hard time imagining what it's like. What would we observe if we could see a neutrino, or an electron. It boggles my mind that we can study and use particles like we currently can, yet we (or at least I) don't know what they are like.

A particle is made of even smaller particles

The other day they made two protons collide, and it resulted in >1400 smaller particles scattered all over the place (gluons and shit)

Elementary particles are zero-dimensional. You would not see anything.

It's my fault that I cannot express myself as good as I would want to. If particles are things with
"parameters" like "mass/energy, spin and charge" then what is mass, what is energy? Do I have to
study this stuff to understand it, or can I just grab a book and get a grip on what these things are?

thanks for putting up with me!

"You're very clever, young man, very clever," said the old lady. "But it's particles all the way down!"

mass is a type of energy

energy is the ability to do work (move, per instance)

If they are "zero dimensional" how can a bunch of them make up what I experience as a rock? Is my human perception of what a rock is just some sort of illusion?

As a hypothetical question, if I where to study particle physics. Could I ever understand the type of questions I'm making, or are they something that current scientists don't bother with.

It's all bullshit and lies OP science fags can't even explain why electrons don't fly into protons if unlike charge attract.

Don't trust physicists they're all satanic liars.

you're just being vage on purpose. I know the definition of what energy is, I still don't understand
what it is though. What is work, what is energy make of? God, It's like I'm a 5 year old, this way
of thinking will ner end. It's like said.

Is what I'm asking about called metaphysics?

what you are asking isn't science
we don't know what things are. we don't know if things exist.

science is making models about the world, that seem like they work and correlate with our observations, absolutely nothing more. hoping to "understand" the world at the level of the way you can understand what something in math is, is something futile

springer.com/us/book/9783540337317

Can you guys tell me if it's worth reading this? Will it help me at all? Should I just give up trying to understand this?

yes, it's philosophy
if you like philosophy go for it. in the end you can't know things, you can just understand what it means to not be able to know something

I would advise you to stay away from gibberish continental metaphysics, though.

shit man, I want to know those things. So it's absolutely hopeless to try and undertand these types of questions? I'm having a general feeling of dread

any pointers, where to start perhaps?

yes, it is. why though? what really is that you want? some kind of "truth" doesn't make any sense. we can observe what we can observe, and that's all we know

well, for this particular issue, reading philosophy of science would be good

Descartes, Kant, Kuhn and Popper's works should be good for you

here's one of Popper
google.com.pe/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwj_oM721MnOAhVCGx4KHULrB6EQFghCMAM&url=http://worthylab.tamu.edu/courses_files/popper_conjecturesandrefutations.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGMV8lZ7shUm1AA4HFdJldWw-JfmQ

Thanks you user, I really appreciate it!

No, why you are asking is called metaphysics.

>get mad at people telling you the truth
>appreciate people telling you to read irrelevant mumbo jumbo

>hurr durr but WHAT is energy?

Look kid, some things are elementary.

There's a point in which things are no longer made of other things. Energy is one of those things. Energy is a basic elementary constituent property of the universe. Deal with it. You can't go deeper than that.

Particles are localized concentrations of dielectric potential in a stable probability state.

Unless, we can.

Watch PBS Spacetime on youtube.

Please, tell me more. Explain this to a newbie, I'm interested. I know that particles aren't physical, at least that's what I hear all the time about electrons, but what is this dielectric potential you're talking about?

Dielectric potential is an insulator's capacity to create an electric field. Space exhibits this property in regards to the edges of the universe, allowing an aether of electrical energy to permiate 3 dimensional space. hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/dielec.html
youtu.be/J3xLuZNKhlY
Watch this video and read a little of the page, this should help you understand.