What does Veeky Forums think of Ramanujan? Pic related...

What does Veeky Forums think of Ramanujan? Pic related, watched his movie recently and thought he was bloody brilliant of a mathematician.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashkenazi_Jewish_intelligence
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pooopinity

shame he had to die so early tbqh
is that way

movie was rushed hollywood trash, nearly as bad as a beautiful mind

read this instead

poopxi cab number

he died because he wouldnt eat.

other than that he was one of the few true geniuses.

its funny that they did a poo in loo reference with madrid.

I thought it was better than A Beautiful Mind, and I have read that book. IMO Robert Kanigel's book which this movie is based off of is a much better representation since that book is more Ken Ono's autobiography + how Ramanujan related to him.

>he died because he wouldnt eat.

In the movie he died of TB but there is some strong evidence today it was because of simple dysentery that was left untreated for years. It didn't help that his low protien/low iron Hindu vegan diet made everything worse

I liked it, sad that he had to die so young.

>Ramanujan died early because he wouldn't eat
>von Neumann died early because he ate too much
How come the smartest of the smartest don't know how to eat the right amount of food?

>madrid
Am I talking to a NEET?

There is always room to be self destructive no matter the intelligence level. Being human is great

von neumann confirmed for fat piece of shit lol

Dude was kind of overrated and his story has been romanticized in terms of talent he was god like but in terms of accomplishments he really didn't do a lot. I would put grothendieck hilbert and von neumann as greater mathematicians of the 20th century

No no no. You see, they are white. They can't be that good.

Ramanujan is therefore probably the best mathematician who has ever lived.

Both grothendieck and Von Neumann were both ashkenazi Jews which I guess are considered "white" Jews and hilbert was white and he pretty much laid the whole foundation of 20th century mathematics

What are Ashkenazis?

AFAIK Jews with European lineage. Probably more well defined by some.

>terms of accomplishments he really didn't do a lot
He found literally thousands of formulas.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srinivasa_Ramanujan
That's great no matter how you look at it.

But I don't think he is as revolutionary as someone like grothendieck

not that anything you said was wrong but that has nothing to do with this thread

and even when i dont want to say /pol/boogeyman is afoot it always is

Fair enough

>he died because he wouldn't eat

Sure you're not thinking of Gödel?

There is something like an upper limit to what one can expect from a "math" movie. Movies being what they are, they must necessarily entail some conflict as an animating factor of the story. The plain truth is that where math and the movies are concerned, something apart from the math itself must necessarily draw an audience into the story. Math is a long contemplative process of autistic understanding, while film tends to be a rapid normie entertainment. They don't mix well.

Further, mathematics, the process of doing mathematics, and the personal lives of the people who tend to do it, are usually very boring, which is box office poison. So if one is going to do a "math movie", it may become necessary to invent some drama or strive. At least Ramanujan's story had some built-in drama and pathos (and even a hollywood-culturally convenient racism angle), which is what lent itself to the film.

As for the mathematics that is actually mentioned in the film, I felt that they did a perfectly fine job, especially relative to other movies that mention math. the focus of the story was only ever to be the human story of course, and Irons actually explains what partitions are to a general audience. Ramanujan writes some elliptic integral series form on a board, which I spent time checking out. Irons' character emphasizes the importance of proof itself, though admittedly no time is spent on this - there is a human story to tell. The film even gives a useful representation of the aesthetic reasons for why men do math, with Irons and Ramanujan at opposite ends of the (God) spectrum.

In short, and now that the dust has settled, I found the movie to about about the best mainstream "math movie" that I've ever seen, no shilling. Pi is cringey and just some guy playing at a math movie, vaguely mentioning the fibonacci sequence, and spirals. Primes are cutely mentioned in places such as Cube, and Contact, but that's all. I only saw the russell crowe movie once...

I've always underestimated Sal Khan until now

>von neumann
>mathematician
nice meme

I know right. Who knew Ramanujan watched Khan Academy on his way to discovering infinity?

>What does it take to prove the impossible? XD
absolutely eric

>autistic understanding
stopped reading there

Since he was able to derive formulas that we still are not able to prove today, Ramanujan certainly understood something we don't.

It's your loss, as the content of my post is solid. that phrase was simply a flourish to give the flavor of what Veeky Forums users are familiar with.

>It didn't help that his low protien/low iron Hindu vegan diet made everything worse
He had a lot of difficulty getting access to vegan food in England and as such he ghetto rigged a kitchen so that he could cook for himself in his office. He struggled getting regular meals because of this and other reasons. He was also often upset from his social status as a subject of British occupied India and from being far away from his wife and family.

It's likely he would've been fine if he had brought his wife with him from India, or so he believed later in his life upon his return to India.

this desu senpai

>le ebil racist white guys!
it's amazing how they managed to make white people racist supremacists yet at the same time give him highest honors (make him a lad).

tl;dr jewish propaganda

Basically Jews who were genetically selected for there intelligence due to whatever reason

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashkenazi_Jewish_intelligence

The movie was fairly watchable, it striked the right balance between a normie movie and a movie that mathematicians could only comprehend, unlike A Brilliant Mind or X+Y which were decent but were lacking in mathematics.

A Brilliant Young Mind (or X+Y) was OK but it was too fast paced for me (I would go into detail but that would be too many spoilers). Though I'm someone who doesn't watch movies at all, I mostly stick to books so that might be the reason.

this thread is proof that white people are now the #1 leaders in whining about muh discrimination

An absolutely amazing man and a symbol of two common stereotypes in the math community, the greats dying young and the greats being pretty fucking crazy. His mind was definitely unique and incredible.

Didn't see the movie though. I had hoped it'd catch on with my students but its small release really fucked me on that.

Yeah, they did a lot more. They also worked for longer though.

Ramunajan isn't amazing just for what he did though, he's also amazing for how much he did with how little training he had. He's not a Greatest Mathematician of The Century but he's also not overrated. You're just misunderstanding what the rating is about.

Pi wasn't a math moving and wasn't supposed to be.

haha baka like they should all die
what they do anyway? shoot schools and incest? XD

Obsessions can take a lot out of you.

"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success. Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything."

It's on torrent, look on rarbg. I live in a country where the government doesn't really care about piracy, but if you live in one that does, be warned.

If you want it legally it's on Amazon.