Mathematicians actually think that the sum of all positive integers is a negative fraction

Mathematicians actually think that the sum of all positive integers is a negative fraction.

This is why no one takes you bozos seriously.

>m-muh 300k starting salary

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_+_2_+_3_+_4_+_⋯#/media/File:Sum1234Summary.svg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

300k starting
any job I want
your just jelly

>every 300k you get brings you closer to having -1/12 dollars

I wish I had that much

It's easy to confuse yourself with this shit but it's quite simple.

All that the ramanujan summation stuff, cutoff and zeta regularization does, is look at the smoothed curve at x = 0.
What sums usually do is look at the value as x->inf.

It's just a unique value you can assign to a sum, really they have many such values.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_+_2_+_3_+_4_+_⋯#/media/File:Sum1234Summary.svg

literally no mathematicians think that

people don't take mathematicians seriously because of topologists and the foundations circlejerk

>Mathematicians actually think that the sum of all positive integers is a negative fraction.
[citation needed]

You confuse mathematicians with physicists here. It is not mathematicians who need this "astounding result" to come up with a 26 dimension string theory bullshit.

b8

OP pls

bro everyone knows that it is completely possible to sum only positive integers and get a negative fraction. do you think people pull that shit out of their ass or something? why else would it be used by intelligent physicists in subjects like string theory?

How the hell is that -1/12 ?

you get 100,000 then a million then a trillion then the number line turns into a circle and you start going backwards and you slow down until you get -1/12.

it pisses me off user. I hope this shit gets debunked and all mathematicians who believe it get their degrees revoked

kek

what the fuck does a "smoothed curve" mean?

This is actually a good question. What criteria does the curve fulfil?

>it pisses me off user
The truth tends to do that.

>then the number line turns into a circle
wat
> you start going backwards
wat wat
>and you slow down until you get to a negative number
nigga wat

2+4+8+16... = 0
2-adic metric :^)

its bait from an old video, the numbers in that sum weren't actually natural

Any mathematician who accepts infinite algebraic operations is a bad mathematician. Series work only with strict conditions, moreover divergent series can in some situations be made to have a sum that equals basically anything, just to give an example of how broken the whole concept is.

>Any mathematician who accepts infinite algebraic operations is not a mathematician
ftfy

nigga it doesn't work like that wtf

A smooth curve is a curve that is infinitely differentiable. So perhaps you are somehow making the curve infinitely differentiable.

Have you even bothered to look at what mathematicians are going on about when they talk about this? Because if you did, it would probably make sense to you. *Hint they are not literally saying the summation equals -1/12*

So math is wrong.

>hurr mathematicians are stupid for this thing
>no I don't understand the basic language required to interpret the result

/thread

1+2+3+...=1+(1+1)+(1+1+1)+...=1+1+1+...=-1/12

Wildburger fuck off

The Zeta function at x = -1 is -1/12. The sum of infinite positive numbers goes to infinity.

>if I keep writing all positive integers, each on a small piece of paper, and stacking those pieces in front of me, the stack will eventually be as big as -1/12 of one piece
how cool is that

Come back to Veeky Forums when you have learned Analysis.

sage

they got -1/12 by using the series 1-1+1-1... = 1/2
this series obviously does not converge and the 1/2 answer is complete garbage.
into the trash it goes.

>Ignoring Cesaro convergence

Thanks for sharing your knowledge of high school calculus with us, it was super enlightening.

actually we're down at 10 dimensions for the fermionic superstring, but sadly nobody found a susy particle yet

Hey now, most physicists are not string fags.

Is a confusion because the zeta function in -1 is equal to -1/12, and the zeta funcion is the sum of n^-x from 1 to infinity, but that expresion only works with x>1