How good is kobe beef actually? I've heard it's great but can it be that much better than regular steak...

How good is kobe beef actually? I've heard it's great but can it be that much better than regular steak? I've only had it once but it was in a bowl of pho, it tasted better than a regular bowl of pho but it wasn't like, noticeably fucking amazing or anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

kobe-niku.jp/shop/?lang=1&prefecture=&tag=3
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why would someone put kobe beef into a soup? You got jewed.

I've never had kobe beef. However, I have noticed that marbled ribeyes usually taste very nice. Therefore, since the marbling on those steaks in the photo is so insane I could only assume that they are indeed extremely delicious.

I also am curious to hear from someone who has experienced kobe. I like those youtube videos of the Japanese chefs cooking it on a hibachi grill.

It was like a dollar more than the usual bowl of pho, I figured why not.

if it was anywhere outside Japan chances are it wasn't Kobe beef.
There are zero regulations on calling any beef that outside of Japan, the US is famous for it, probably because Kobe is a bigger deal there than the EU

Weeb trash

Despite whatever convinced you that you were eating kobe beef, you were not eating kobe beef.

Jewed out of a buck. Coulda got a Snickers® for that.

yeah there's no way that was actual Wagyu. Sorry user you got swindled.

Aw really

It was some small Korean pho restaurant, I mean it tasted different than it usually does, I guess that doesn't mean it's kobe beef but whatever it was, was pretty good

Wagyu is a breed. Kobe is a specific lineage and location locked to cattle raised exclusively in the Hyogo Prefecture

It might have been genuine wagyu beef; ranches in the US can rear wagyu cattle. It wasn't Kobe, though, as that stuff hardly ever leaves Japan, and it definitely doesn't make it to a place selling it in soup for a $1 markup

Real wagyu beef is incredibly rare and expensive in the US.
99.9% of places serving "kobe" beef are either up-charging you for nothing or it's some American hybrid breed of cattle.
However, having tasted the real thing once at a three star restaurant in NY, lemme say holy shit it is amazing.

Seconded. Do not trust the beef as Kobe in America unless you are able to ask the proprietor if he sourced his Kobe from Kobe Japan and it is certified as such by the controlling Japanese association. He will promptly say no and then offer you a discount on something else.

also, google Matsusaka beef, it generally is even more marbled.

Current American Restaurants that serve Certified Genuine Japanese Wagyu Imported from Japan with Proof.

212 Steakhouse
316 East 53rd Street, New York, NY 10022

Alexander's Steakhouse-Cupertino
10330 North Wolfe Road, Cupertino, CA, 95014

Alexander's Steakhouse-San Francisco
448 Brannan Street, San Francisco, CA 94107

Arsenal
715 Brannan St.San Francisco,Ca 94103

Bazaar Meat by José Andrés
2535 S Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas, NV, 89109

MGM RESORTS INTERNATIONAL
3730 Lubio S LU, NV, 89149, U.S.A.

Nick&Sam's Steakhouse
3008 Maple Avenue,Dallas,TX75201,USA

Teppanyaki Ginza Onodera
1726 South King Street, Honolulu, HI 96826

Wynn Las Vegas
3131 Las Vegas Blvd. South Las Vegas, NV 89109

B+B Butchers + Restaurant
TX77007 1814 Washington Ave,Houston Texas

beef fat is practically poisonous.

But it tastes really good

Fat is good for you.

Stop falling for the illegal propaganda from Ivy League scientists from the 1950s and 1960s bribed into saying fat is bad.

Went to Japan and tasted it. The flavor itself is pretty much like any high end decent beef cut. But the texture is BEYOND anything I've ever eaten.

It literally melts in your mouth. It' almost impossible to describe it. You get the beef flavor, a soft bite, and then the fat and the meat itself almost disolves and leaves this slight fatty lining in your mouth.

If you want to try it here, then be prepared to drop a couple of hundred bucks and search you ASS of for a REAL dealer.

there's a restaurant near where i live that charges $15 for a single skewer of what the owner calls "A5 wagyu beef" on a dry erase board. now, either he has connections with reputable meat distributors or this is fool-the-white-folk marketing at its finest. for reference, it's a japanese restaurant (read: bento boxes and meme sushi rolls) owned and operated by chinese people. my gut says don't do it, but damn if I'm not curious.

It isn't hard to find a real dealer.

This lists distributors, retail, wholesale, etc

The point of the most expensive isn't to be amazingly better, it's to be better when cost isn't an issue.

Some rich mogul doesn't care if the bill for his steak is $30 extra, he has more than enough.

wagyu is too expensive to have often, but any japanese beef is a cut above amerifat steak.

living here is great for picking up excellent half price meat. misuji might be my favourite cut. will enjoy this later on.

I have noticed that people on Veeky Forums have hard time grasping the concept of luxury

Veeky Forums's userbase is primarily money-strapped college students, what on earth do you expect?

I was treated to a proper Kobe steak while in Japan years ago. It was at the top of a hotel, teppanyaki style.

I shit you not, it was, and still is, the best meal I've had in my life. The steak melted in my mouth. I didn't chew a single piece. It really does live up to the hype. The meal cost around $450/$500 for 2 people (thank god I didn't pay for any of it), with fried rice/miso soup combo adding $75 to the bill. I knew the place was legit when I saw what looked like a high ranking Yakuza sitting with what I could only assume was a prostitute at their own table.

The stuff you see outside of Japan advertising "kobe beef" is generally just higher grade beef than normal. No way is it the real stuff so never pay a lot when they try to scheme you with what's essentially a buzzword. If you do want the real thing, you're gonna have to head to Japan and pay a pretty penny for it. What you had in your bowl of pho was certainly not Kobe beef.

What americans restaurants kobe is really American kobe, ala breeds of Japanese Wagyu brought to America but not conditioned the same way

So it's higher quality with good marbling but not amazing like authentic Kobe

It's generally a crossbreed of a domestic variety with the Japanese beef. It's not even pure-bred.

Then again, it's also a lot less expensive than the real thing.

You are nearly poisonous

It's like a different beef product entirely, rather than being say, god tier on the steak spectrum.

Nobody here has actually eaten it.

Surely that must be obvious by now?

Wouldn't claim to have Kobe but I've eaten Wagyu twice in London and once in Japan. It usually cost about £70-90 for the dish in the UK so I presume it was some sort of legitimate Wagyu because they were good restaurants.

It defo tastes better than normal steak and its served in a different way usually, it melts really easily not like steak usually does.

Florentine Steak is better imo. Nice theatre and much more meat. and I say this as a massive weeb.

>korean pho restaurant