I've been saying this for years now but the field of consciousness is pure pseudo-science garbage

I've been saying this for years now but the field of consciousness is pure pseudo-science garbage.

We can't even define consciousness let alone even begin to imagine just how it works and how it came about.

you're pure pseudo-science garbage

how do we know stones aren't conscious as well? just because they have no way of communicating or interacting with us doesn't mean they aren't 'experiencing' the universe is some way

>We can't even define consciousness let alone even begin to imagine just how it works and how it came about.
But we know its there. And we just can't ignore it.

My theory is that consciousness is a property of matter that is yet to be explored by science. Consciousness occurs when the right arrangement of quarks occur. It's nothing spiritual or outside the boundaries of physical laws. It just happens on a subatomic level that we can't yet understand the mechanics of it.

and what do you base this theory on

Ed witten is an unbelievable physicist but he isn't really an expert in neuroscience

>My theory
that's not a theory, it's a hypothesis

Yes and strong AI is impossible. Tell me something new.

>and what do you base this theory on
on the assumption that all living things with a neural net are conscious. Although the only consciousness I can actually confirm is mine alone so it opens more doors for questions like if I am god, and everything else is precedural, but thats a whole other debate.

>if I am god

Can you confirm any consciousness other than yours ?

>muh quantum consciousness
>muh waveform collapse

define consciousness

Leave

Sage

I've stopped caring about consciousness altogether. I'm tired of seeing all these threads surrounding it, with people espousing their nonsense hypotheses, general misinformation and the endless "hard problem" shitposting. Fuck off with all of if.

you are just upset because you don't understand it

we can't define it because we can't measure it.

YET!

>implying consciousness isn't just an emergent property of complex nonlinear dynamical feedback systems

what this guy said

shut the fuck up
the moment you realize academia hires over-the-hill popscientists, the sooner you ascend
neuroscience is making leaps and bounds. pick up a fucking book you pleb

Quantum Mechanics will explain free-will.

no it won't
because "free will" isn't mathematical

checked and kekked

Wtf are you on about.

"Consciousness" is just a label given to a lose set of mental functions.

>ITT undergrads fail to even understand the literal PREMISES of the hard problem

Stick to your entry level engineering calculations you fucking Gammas

>ITT undergrads fail to even understand the literal PREMISES of the hard problem
The hard problem is just a word game that confuses the actual mental processes involved in introspection and self-awareness with hand-waving nonsense.
No-one but a small circle of believers is impressed by it.

It is not even that

>the hard problem
I fucking hate misnomers like that. You probably think the fermi paradox is a paradox, too

Ya that dumbass Ed Witten believes in the hard problem. What a quack!!

>implying stability

>brainlet

>We can't even define x let alone even begin to imagine just how it works
this was said about every single thing ever discovered

I've been preaching this for years

define introspection and self-awareness

google.com
you stupid american

This!

Defining consciousness is a little bit like defining art. It's not really that it doesn't exist. There is a phenomenon there, but it is not like anything we have so far suspected it to be. The terms we use for these things are only adding to the confusion. They lead us down dead ends.

I used to wonder about the hard problem, then I found my Lord and Savior Donald Hoffman

Consciousness is real, the bullshit around it isn't.
For example, there are no souls or free will or any other shit like that.
You can easily define consciousness as the ability to autonomously figure out the extent of your body, the properties of the environment around you and the ability to solve logical problems.

It's not even a hypothesis.
It's an opinion.

The idea that an explanation of consciousness is beyond scientific study is just a failure of imagination. A hundred years ago nobody could imagine a mechanism by which genes could have a real, physical analog. Now we know all about DNA and even how the molecular machinery works to replicate it and turn hypothetical genes into physical, living things. Why can't you imagine that there's something out there you can't currently imagine that mediates consciousness on a purely physical basis?

>Consciousness occurs when the right arrangement of quarks occur.
This is beyond retarded. The properties of individual quarks don't have any effect on systems larger than atoms, let alone on human-scale systems. What you're suggesting is like trying to explain weather patterns with an atomic model.

>You can easily define consciousness

>muh empty buzzwords

Oh the irony, that response and that image...

how about we put a stone in your head and see what happens?

But what [math]is[/math] a complex nonlinear dynamical feedback system?

That would be our brain.
What that user meant to say that was too hard for all these summerfags to get was that multiple electrical impulses that constantly draw out info from the system's surroundings, bound to a memory container that is able to accumulate this info leads to consciousness.

Good.

We don't want or need you.

So think whatever you want, while contributing nothing and being of no significance to the field.

t. neuroscience PhD student working on connectomics research.

Does the connectome work as one structure?

What happens if in surgery - i Cut one "arm" of the connectome - it's all the contained personality there lost? How is the information stored across connectome?