Go from learning German to learning French just to read Baudelaire

>go from learning German to learning French just to read Baudelaire

Fuck you frogs why does your language have so many fucking rules? The monks that conjugated your shit must have been the most retarded faggots. No wonder your immigrants want to murder all of you.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wqzMMadF7Ww
vocaroo.com/i/s1qVSSqygPYL
vocaroo.com/i/s1k1gv2TgB43
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it's really not that difficult

this tbqh

>muh conjugations

If you are learning just for the sake of reading then you couldn't have picked a more retarded thing to bitch about, since you won't even have to use conjugations yourself since you are just reading and they'll literally be spelled out for you.

Honestly, German isn't easier

immigrants haven't been behind any of the attacks though

>french
>conjugations
It's literary the meme of languages, I'd learned it under 6 months.
Ancient Greek, now that's a challenge
tu rencontres des problemes, reste tranquil, pense que les conjugations sont une forme de pretention et revise tes objectifs

French literally takes no more than 6 months to learn if you're a fluent English speaker. Grow a pair

>learning French to read Baudelaire
when will this retarded meme end? You're not a cool bohemian, this will literally never work right. A high-school knowledge of French and a side-by-side translation will always suffice.

To be fair you can spend 6 months just trying to figure out the fucked up phonology and spelling.

I understand that, but french people are easy to find

tl;dr If you learn a new language, it comes from both reading and speaking
get off your ass and figure out something
>spoon feed me my life senpai

ehh. son of immigrants

To be fair it took me 10 months of learning German in Germany to get to a point where I'm very comfortable with the language. It took me 5.5 months to get to a point where I can read the news in French and just read La musique without translating a thing. Got 90% comprehension

>the tl;dr is longer than the original sentence

>thinks french is harder than german

nigga are you stupid

>1st generation Muhammad is just as French as Pierre

Also I have never spoken French with a native speaker in my life

>the tl;dr resumes learning any language
step up your game senpai

Why does German have this reputation for being difficult?
It isn't noticeably anymore difficult than French. If you aren't retarded you can learn it quickly.

>Why does German have this reputation for being difficult?

Anglos.

Case, mostly.

No, my friend, german is very hard, very very hard, you should spend your life not learning that nazi language, trust me senpai, it's an evil language, and really hard, don't learn

>der, die, das, dem, den, and the list goes on and on

go fuck yourselfs Germans. Why is it so fucking time-consuming to learn a new language

>oh no articles

You've got to be kidding me.
How about you make it past chapter 1 before commenting on the language.

Just skip that shit. At the lowest level you want to focus on making simple sentences, how many verbs have you learned? Can you describe the last 2 hours of your life in the present tense with all the words in the right places (possibly ignoring articles and half-assing conjugations)? That's where you should be around week 1, then slowly start chipping away at grammar, do one or two points a day and you'll have it all in a few months.

At the lowest levels you should focus on making sentences, at intermediate make them understandable and at upper levels make them perfect or more natural sounding.

That's the only hard part besides speaking nebensatz. It gets easier with exposure.

It is my dream that one day the pseudo-state of Germany will be divided in equal parts between France and Poland.

The only thing that's difficult is memorizing der/die/das. In French you have it only mildly easier with la/le

>learning French to read Baudelaire
>not Ronsard, not Hugo, not Mallarmé
>Baudelaire, the ultimate meme poet

That's like learning English to read Poe

Does anyone know afrikaan? Its not that much different from dutch, right?

Yes.

>meme
>replace with more memes
when will you stop with highschool literature
>I studied in a french lycee

German has just as many rules.

It's literally the easiest language to learn

>Spanish is my mother language tho

I'd argue that English is a lot easier to learn. It's unavoidable and has fewer rules.

french and spanish are about equal in terms of learning imo

german is a bit harder than both

russian, mandarin, japanese and arabic can fuck off

t. native enlgish speaker

thats because your spanish you dumb fuck

we have almost the same language, i didn't even had to spend more than one hour in spanish class to be able to read the news in spanish.

for an anglo, french is going to be more difficult to learn than german while for us latins, german is harder than french

advanced french is still harder than advanced german

only 20% of the population is able to use some of the most obscure conjugation times.

German isn't easier than french at all but if you want nordic/german languages that are actually objectively harder than french you have to learn nordic shit.

i found german grammar more difficult than french and french has given english an absolute ton of words so also found it easier to enter into on a simple vocab level also - not that there arent german/english cognates obviously

this was the experience of most of my friends who have studied both too

Fuck those frogs. They deserved it.

maybe try not digging through selective tweets from 2015

English syntax is kill though

Not OP but now that he mentions it learning French to read Baudelaire sounds like something taht could keep me sane on the down low.
Is this doable by yourself? How do I learn it? Duolingo? Or do I need to go to some classes?

After hearing English a lot, which is pretty much unavoidable, English syntax becomes second nature no matter how retarded it is.

German words seems easier and more intuitive to English speakers. French shares latinate words with English which are generally less understandable on an intuitive level.

Other user here, I too am interested in learning French for the sake of literature and french loli's

if you're good at memorization mandarin honestly isn't that hard, the grammar is easy and you don't really have to worry about conjugation much. tones can be hard to discern but you get better at it with time

>all these anglos saying french is easy
french grammar is hard as shit
french spelling is retarded
fortunately, you don't need any of these if your goal is to just read books

>tu rencontres des problemes, reste tranquil, pense que les conjugations sont une forme de pretention et revise tes objectifs

Too bad for you, some french people browse Veeky Forums and can read through your shitty grammar.
A correct version would be

"Si tu rencontres des problèmes, ne t'en soucie pas. Imagine simplement que les règles de conjugaison sont une forme de prétention et modifie tes objectifs en conséquence".

The correct word is sandniggers

His writing was fine you autist, it's just not formal

>learned Spanish for my resume
>realized a year later that nothing of worth has come from the language
>only use it to speak to the Mexican grocer every week or two

I should have learned German.

>WE ARE FREEEENCH

relax mon ami. once your mind acquires the structure, and after some practice, the rules will be followed without you noticing it.

It sounds weird and you should know that I'm the guy that keeps writing incredibly shit (but for me surprisingly seemingly passable since I get proper replies) French. As one example that stands out, rester (unsurprising as it's often used incorrectly by English speakers) is not something you actively do, it's something that (p much unintentionally) happens to you.

Who is not meme mon amis?

My frustration with french evolved as I studied it but I think what will persist is a dislike of how consonants are swallowed and words slurred together when spoken. It doesn't have the crisp distinction of words and syllables that English tends to have and the pathological omission of the final syllable in so many words often lacks the sharp ending you get with english words. Not always, guard in french has the hard ending but Quand doesn't,

Although whenever I say that and write it down it suddenly becomes hard for me to actually think of examples. I was looking at the foreign legion anthem and normally my tongue trips over the "Voila du boudin" but all of a sudden now I can say it no problem, and I can read french sentences no problem.

Which I think is the other issue. I feel confident enough that I can read standard french sentences and, if struggling and feeling my way through it, still be able to understand it. But when I hear french it's like I am tone deaf and all I hear is this sonorous blur of words.

And I will never not hate gendered nouns. I cannot fathom why so many languages from so many different language families all independently came up with the irrelevance of making one object male and another female.

Also 80-99 is fucking stupid. What idiot in the past came up with "4 twenties + un/deus/trois...onze/douze/ect" to say 80.

French sounds beautiful though. And I have heard English has plenty of stupid exceptions and bullshit that we native speakers just forget because we were raised with it.

thats our girl

English does liason as well, say "am I an American or British?" at conversation pace and pay attention.

>English does liason as well, say "am I an American or British?"
Calm down ESL, that phrase doesn't have liaison you just haven't got your ear around the micropauses yet.

>he fell for the Spanish meme

spanish has amazing literature

>But when I hear french it's like I am tone deaf and all I hear is this sonorous blur of words.

Yeah I have the same issue. I'm at the stage where I read French well, without needing to look things up whether it be a novel or a newspaper. But when it comes to oral comprehension I'm still significantly lacking. I guess that's where talking to native speakers comes in.

English native speaker and teacher here champ. There is no space between words, if you add one you sound chinese.

If a dog is born in a stable, does that make it a horse? Sandniggers are sandniggers, French passport or not.

Also remember that you use a or an depending on if the word that follows starts with a vowel or not.

Thiiiiis! I've been spending a couple of months in France now and I can read stuff like Camus and Dumas without problems, but understanding locals when they speak quickly is completely impossible.

back to pol

That's not liaison bud. A Namaerican is different to an American in production partly because of very very small pauses (I think in the literature these are called palatal closures) of a few 10's of milliseconds.

>English native speaker and teacher here champ.
Either we're into role play territory or you're having some kind of midlife crisis type breakdown. Saying "are you an American or British" while parseable sounds awkward as fuck for a start.

What you're somehow managing to do is confuse liaison with elision or assimilation. So sometimes English doesn't delimit certain groups of words and you get things like 'don't' (elision) or 'aza' (assimilation) for do not and as a. Liaison in French not only works differently but it also marks what are called phonological phrases with liaison (separating the sentence into something like grammatical phrases of roughly things like subject, object and verb, between which liaison doesn't happen). English doesn't separate like this phonologically (at least not in any vaguely consistent way anyone can see).

The reason I'm saying you're in fantasy land tho is- for English speakers around second language learners- even if you don't know this shit it is readily apparent. If they don't allow enough space between words and/or get the stresses fucked up, you can't understand what the fuck they're saying. It sounds a bit like a dog saying iwuvu 2bh

If you're in Paris their accent is particularly hard. The way they speak on Radio tho is quite clear.

I was in Paris before, but now I'm in the south. But yeah, as you say, the radio is completely intelligible and I can follow conversations there.

No what I meant was that we decide whether to use or omit the n in an based on the following word, ie we don't want a new vowel word directly after a vowel and the same thing with consonants.

Yeah, that's nothing to do with anything here. Do you know what liaison is?

german is way harder to learn. on the other hand, you will spend 50% of your time learning french struggling through listening comprehension.

South accent is worse desu

How to learn Latin?

youtube.com/watch?v=wqzMMadF7Ww

watch this shit until you get used to spoken french.
i swear to fucking god, this is the best tool for french listening comprehension

;__;

harsh

Ah fantastic, thanks! Subtitles help so much. There was only one or two words I had to look at the English version of the subtitles for in the video, so it's just perfect for training the ears.

Comment s'appelle cette comic?

Does it end there or do you have more?

It's exactly that, but in English it's explicitly written the way it's pronounced.

Okay. "I like apples". You actually say "Ai Lai kapples" or else you sound like a.) shit or b.) angry. The sentence I wrote had a bunch of liaisons in it on purpose, so of course it wasn't something you would normally say. The "your ass" in the sentence "I fucking destroyed your ass, faggot" would become "yo rass" the same way.

American English's fucked up ("fuck dup") lenition rules also do this, so "Every night a girl comes to my house" becomes "Ev'ry nai da girl..." And so on.

Thanks for getting me to wiki "micropause" though, that was good reading.

Assimilation, then whatev. It's the same thing as liason minus silent letters becoming pronounced.

i can tell you only did 6 months of french, faggot.

People who complain about conjugations seem to be mislead beginners. In general, only very commonly used words are irregular. This means you'll memorize the conjugations in very little time if you are actually using the language by reading it or listening to it, as opposed to reading a textbook.

Liaison is moving a terminal sound to the start of the next word. So c'est-à-dire isn't pronounced set-a-deer it's se-ta-deer. A or An is more like mon amie or mon absence instead of "ma" qqch.

It's meant to be something left over from Latin, what's probably confusing you is since then they've gone on to not pronounce many of the endings of words in French. It's probably a form of elision again (tho that may be the wrong word. Contraction? )

>"Ai Lai kapples"
No, if anything you assimilate the end of the stressed syllable into the unstressed (so it becomes something like aisle-ike but a seamless utterance). Apples has the stress on app so there's really good delineation between in normal natural speech between the k sound at the end of like and the a in apples. Of course there can be variation in I like but not in apples as far as stress goes.

It may be understandable or parseable in very short simple phrases but it's not how natives speak and it can be ridiculously hard to understand sometimes in normal conversation when people do the shit you're claiming.

PHONETICS
(in French and other languages) the sounding of a consonant that is normally silent at the end of a word because the next word begins with a vowel.

Also c'est-à-dire is not pronounced se-ta-deer.

I hear "c'est-à-dire" often enough to know exactly how it's pronounced. And phonetics is an incredibly broad term, p much everything I've spoken (lol) about comes under that umbrella.

By all means vocaroo whatever you're now arguing about tho.

vocaroo.com/i/s1qVSSqygPYL

You still stress the AP but the k goes with it (wi-thit), otherwise you have to stop at the k for a moment which sounds very unnatural. You literally wrote above exactly what I'm describing with your "as a = aza" example. That happens anytime a word ends on a consonant and the next starts on a vowel, barring special stress or the invisible "y" in front of some u's ("he's usually late" would stay "heez yusually leit") and even then, in some dialects it still happens.

If second language learners aren't ready for it, the same problems you guys are having with French happen in English (can read, can't listen)

Are you a native speaker? Or a teacher? I notice some teachers who don't notice they do this stop after teaching for a while and it sounds really unnatural.
I'm. Andrea. I'm. American. Hello.

> it's not "se(pause)ta(pause)deer" it's "se-ta-deer"
Holy shit...

vocaroo.com/i/s1k1gv2TgB43

You're confusing pauses and micropauses. A micropause (broadly, this is a mild misuse of the term as it's commonly used now) is any pause that is so short as to be consciously unnoticeable (often with some arbitrary limit in papers like anything less than 200 ms or something). Again we are talking 10's of milliseconds of time here. Not. Like. A .Full. Stop. Or, even, a, comma, you - dingus-,.

I would recommend trying to publish everything else you're saying since it's going against almost everything thing else published ever and even my own personal experience. Paradigm shift anyone?

So you're getting anal about non-IPA transcriptions? Uh huh.

I also feel now like I have to comment on your own poor pronunciation after that act of bad faith on your part, but I'll just leave it at poor. Disappointed bud, disappointed.

Russian is no difficult than German. And Mandarin is straight up memorization, if you use a spaced repitition program like Memrise or Anki you can learn it.