What is it about math that makes regular people shut their brains off...

What is it about math that makes regular people shut their brains off? You give them anything above arithmetic and they just refuse to even try.

Probably because a lot of higher (or even middle level) mathematics is almost pointless to their lives, so they have no reason to learn it

What practical value is there for the common person

guilty as charged. Now I need to learn math in order to pass this fucking certification test. I've taken a few practice exams and tanked all of them, like a 50%.

I'm truly fucked. This test is a requirement in almost every state, and in every last state worth teaching in. If i can't do this I might as well have not bothered wih the last few years of my life.

>they just refuse to even try
that's pretty much it, they're intimidated by math because of bad experiences with high school teachers, etc. so they just shut down and say "LOL I'M JUST NOT A MATH PERSON" before even trying to process the question

>What is it about math that makes regular people shut their brains off?

Answer these questions, OP:
1) Are you "good at math"?
2) When's the last time you got your dick wet?
3) Do you understand evolution?

Now answer your own question.

infinite. its possible to make the side adjacent the 56 degree angle as longer/shorter without affecting the other two sides as long as 2 < (third side) < 12 and 56 + angles = 180.

nah

>if there are more than two possible solutions for each angle, list both
b8 thread

They were not properly educated. They don't see math as a puzzle game for them to solve. Technology does math for people.

If it became shorter then it would become disjointed from the side opposite. there are two possible lengths for the adjacent side and two possible values for the remaining angles. You can find them using the law of sines/cosines.

Public school.

This is an ass triangle, so there are exactly 2 possible solutions. To compute the solutions, use the law of sines (sin(56)/7 = sin(x)/5). However, once you compute x, you need to consider the fact that sin(x) = sin(180 - x) and use this identity to compute the second solution.

There's only one solution...

I guess this is why people are terrible at math, you don't need any equations, just basic inspection. The 56 degree line and the length 5 are basically fixed, pivoting the length 7 line about (5,0) has the end intersect at only one spot. CW rotation brings the point farther from the line, CCW rotation moves it past.

The only true answers ITT.

>regular people
... are morons.

>Now I need to learn math in order to pass this fucking certification test.
Start at the beginning again. Math builds upon itself and it's easiest to go back to elementary and learn fractions again before you try out secondary school's negative exponents.

Most kids get a mediocre grade in math and get to move on, but it just causes problems because it means you're building on shit you don't actually understand.

>one solution must be
>87°41'20'', and the one at (a;b) is 36°18'40'' approx
>8.43666
>(4,7177 ; 6,9943)
amirite?

>36° for the angle at (a,b) and 88° for the angle where 7 intersects with 5
>Length of missing side is ≈ 8.46
>a ≈ 4.75, b ≈ 7.05
>I don't think the ambiguous case applies here
correct?

7/sin(56) = 5/sin(ab)

sin(ab) = 5/7 * sin(56) ~= 36.3

The other angle must be 180-56-36.3 ~= 87.7

Let's call the unknown side c

c/sin(87.7) = 7/sin(56)

c = 7*sin(87.7)/sin(56) ~= 8.4

We know that the slope of the line connecting (a,b),(0,0) is tan(56). Given that it intersects 0,0 then b must equal tan(56) * a.

Knowing the distance between the two points and subbing b = tan(56) * a into the distance formula we get.

sqrt(a^2(1+tan(56)^2) = 8.4

a^2(1+tan(56)^2) = 70.56

a = sqrt(70.56/(1+tan(56)^2)) ~= 4.7

b = 4.7*tan(56) ~= 7

Sorry, second line should read

ab = asin(5/7 * sin(56)) ~= 36.3

Well, you see, some people simply don't have the aptitude to think abstractly. Their brains are literally so small that they can't fit in those extra neurons to think about that kind of stuff. If they get exposed to anything that is too abstract - say, a basic algebra equation, for instance - then their brains have about an 85% chance of actually shrinking even more, and a 7% chance of completely imploding. These people simply can't handle using this amount of brainpower.

In other words, they're brainlets.

you can argue every great mathematician was a common person and by your logic they should have never studied it past algebra.

This, but also because the problem presented in OP pic is like foreign language to me. Asking to Determine solutions for remaining angles is nonsense to me, as I don't know how it applies to the image. Seriously, was bad at math in HS and haven't taken any college for 10 years.

I have nothing against math and I'm sure if I needed to get it, I would, but there's things I need to know on a daily that take precedence, math above arithmetic is outside of practical application. Sorry OP.

no

Please, anyone that sat down and forced themselves to learn any amount of math could do it, shits not that special, but most people don't because higher level math is impractical for use on a daily. Now, in a perfect world, we would all be forced to have a better understanding of math as it can be applied in most fields, but the amount of time it would take to make everyone proficient in the area of math that would apply to their everyday in order to improve their daily performance would be more costly than the amount of gains made by those people having taken the time to learn.

Maybe with genetic engineering we can get smrter or something, fuck I don't know.

>simply can't compete
I bet you like eugenics.

>What is it about math that makes regular people shut their brains off?
Lack of interest

It's okay, user.

Just know that your "practical knowledge" is completely pointless in the grand scheme of things. You will always be a brainlet.

There is literally nothing wrong with eugenics.

It doesn't have to be explicit. You don't necessarily have to go to a retarded couple and tell them "nope, you can't have kids. Too retarded." It can be more subtle than that.

So subtle that most people don't notice. In fact, it may be happening right now.

>I'm a special snowflake, all other snowflakes are shit and serve no part of the greater purpose of man
lol ok.

I mean yea, natural selection is real and humans have improved over time but I disagree that there's any merit to eugenics. I just don't think you can call out a whole specific group of people with a specific trait that is undesirable, contain them, and have a better society from having done so. I think genetic mutation works too fast for that, and it would wholly be too difficult to perform that operation in the first place.

Undesirable human traits are like cancer, you can cut it out, but the source is the thing your cutting it from.