P L A Y S

Veeky Forums what are the best (most patrician) plays?
Where does one start?

I never see Veeky Forums talking about plays, is there even an infographic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D2VnxiW3oqk
librivox.org
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What are you interested in?

All and everything that is good.

I've enjoyed some of Samuel Beckett's plays recently. Waiting For Godot is essential but Endgame is also very good and severely underrated.

At the moment I'm reading some Bertolt Brecht. Read Mother Courage yesterday and enjoyed it even if I'm I feel like I need to read more of Brecht's 'epic theater' to fully get something out of it. Next up is reading some Ibsen

Read Rhinoceros and Arcadia. There's a chance that they're entry-level, but they are also excellent.

How do you feel about reading versus watching plays? Is it not sinful to read them (without at least having watched them first)?

I walked into a Sarah Kane play without knowing much about her beforehand and was pleasantly surprised (it was Blasted).

Well, one of my favorite plays is J.B. by Archibald Macleish, a free verse adaptation of the Book of Job.

Shakespeare is and will always be GOAT, though: youtube.com/watch?v=D2VnxiW3oqk

Blasted is brutal! If you enjoyed that, check out her other stuff; it's all equally bleak.

I've heard people on Veeky Forums talking about 4.48 psychosis. I just thought it sounded quite edgy and "muh depression". But is it good?

It's a brilliant piece of theatre. You need to see it performed for the full impact, but even on the page it's great.

Euripides
Sophocles
Aristophanes
Aeschylus
Shakespeare
Marlowe
Ibsen
Beckett
THIS IS CORE AND IS NOT EXTENSIVE

Literally everything by Beckett.

Miller's Death of a Salesman is excellent too.

Shakespeare is obligatory. Calderón de la Barca and Lope de Vega are his equals. Juan Ruíz de Alarcón and Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz too.

I am planning to! Seems like all ebooks online are PDF, waiting to stumble upon her stuff in the bookstore (as if)

Start With the Greeks(TM). Yes, really. The complete plays of Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides and Aristophanes.

If that seems too daunting, start with one of each:

Oresteia by Aeschylus (three plays but short and closely connected, like three acts of the same play, really)

Oedipus the King by Sophocles (I should recommend the the Theban plays perhaps, but they weren't initially a trilogy)

Medea by Euripides

Birds by Aristophanes

>Beckett
Author of lovely novellas and wretched plays.

Βρεkεkεkέξ kοάξ kοάξ

True West
Buried Child
Curse of the Starving Class

all amazing

Pygmalion
Marlowe's Faust
Miller's essential stuff

People mentioned Kane, not a fan but if you like more modern stuff she'll suffice. Read 4.48 Psychosis, then all of her stuff before, and then re-read 4.48

I like this format.

The Homecoming
The Dumbwaiter
Betrayal

Also, go see a play in your area, OP.

Support live theater, you faggots.

The Zoo Story
The American Dream
The Ballad of the Sad Cafe (adaptation of McCullers)

You're just seeing shitty performances. Beckett is (mostly) very funny as a playwright but many actors do him super seriously and skip over the jokes.

It's an ancient meme.

Sartre's plays are actually pretty good, No Exit should be on any infographic for plays.

I've seen two live plays, one about Anne Frank and another about the 7 Dwarfs. I have read a few plays though.

for something postmodern, there is Hamletmachine, kinda like a Finnegans Wake of plays. Beckett and Pirandello are also postmodern but a bit accessible. Kane is good as well, easily in the upper strata of postmodern plays- start with Blasted.

Brecht is kind of in his own tier when it comes to theatre.

In terms of modern stuff, Ibsen is good. A Doll's House is his best known play, but Hedda Gabler is just as good. Moliere is the go-to if you are looking for satire, Tartouffe being considered quite good.

Where can I find good recordings of Moliere plays?
It's not being played in my area

librivox.org

>Sartre's plays are actually pretty good
No they aren't. If you want good playwright in the XXth just read Giraudoux or Montherlant.

>Moliere is the go-to if you are looking for satire, Tartuffe being considered quite good.
The Misanthrope is his best play

There's a lot of really good South African plays that I think are severely overlooked. Try Athol Fugard. Obviously there's the context issue if you aren't South African, but he's fairly widely received internationally so it shouldn't be a problem desu

When you live in Bumfuck, MiddleOfNowhere that isn't an option unfortunately

Are Camus' any good?

that image makes me wanna do the old lickaroo, op, you bastard

Have you ever? How does it taste?
inb4 salty coins

only on one girl and it tastes a bit like that actually

if she's got good hygiene and if she is horny it's very arousing due to the scent
lots of pheromones and all that

I am guessing it tastes and smells foul if the chick doesn't take care of herself

It's not unusual to get a little scent of piss if she hasn't just stepped out the shower but the same applies to going down on you.

Her diet is a major factor too; healthy foods mean she'll taste better. If she drinks a lot of coffee that can make her taste bitter. That sort of thing.

she said my dick tasted like skin and nothing else

yeah, just like with sperm, I suppose

Yes, the vagina itself doesn't have a flavour other than skin, it's the liquids that it secretes which have flavour.

Not user, but I personally find it easy to mentally envision a play being acted out in my head, thought most people I know aren't like that. You definitely miss out on the aura which can only be felt inside a theater, but there's no reason to avoid a text purely for that reason. It can still impart some aesthetic or moral value.

Ultimately, I think it really comes down to which specific text we're discussing. A traditionally structured play like Death of A Salesman can be read like any other story, but something like Pinter's One for the Road relies on the discomfort produced by the physical presence of it.

>is there even an infographic?
1/2 Did you even

2/2 check the sticky?

The Madman and the Nun