How accurate is this?

How accurate is this?

>No Homer

Usted debe ser anglo para publicar aqui, Juan.

Putting Emily Bronte in the same tier as Stephen King is fucking blasphemy. She's at least as good as Virginia Woolf.

can you explain the blacklist?

>Hesse better than Mann
wew

Never understood the deal with Cervantes. Quixote is a one-idea book with some romance/parody/picaresque filler plot. He's in the same tier as Boccaccio and Chaucer as far as I'm concerned.
Spaniards must be really desperate to herald him the best they've ever had.

>J.K Rowling on the same tier as Hitler
Please, goy, not even he is that bad

Move Rowling up to High Tier

I don't see Homer
2/10

>sophocles
>that far down
>homer
>not on the list
THIS is what happens when you don't start with The Greeks.
sage

also what's up with Kafka?

62%

>Melville only in high tier

Come on now

sorry but Mein Kampf>anything those four cunts created

>I haven't read Tolkien and I am just a memeing retard

Why is Cervantes on top again? Just to be be different? To act like we're privy to some overlooked genius and therefore we are some how better? I think Shakespeare is obvious GOAT.

Poetry>Drama>Novel
Right?

?

Seems about right

I doubt anyone on this board has read all of them well enough to rank them like that. Everyone here makes value judgements based on niche opinions and memes, so they can feel special and because they know nothing about literature.

No Plato, senpai? I'm out.

probably means that op thinks Kafka and Orwell are too entry-tier. not sure about Pynchon.

I think if you tried to argue this picture to me in person I would laugh at you.

True. No Plato? WAT

He's excluding the memelords.

hang on-
>penultimate

that just means "second to last," as in, the second best in this picture.

I don't know but I want to thank you for including their names.

Gnostics believe the creator God is subordinate to THE REAL GOD.

lucifer[\spoiler]

Assuming some authors just aren't included (but would still fall into the upper-categories on this list), I'd agree... To an extent.

No Homer or Nabokov seems odd.

You people are being memed by yourselves, right? Cervantes is at least as important as Shakespeare, and most of the people outside of the anglosphere seem to think he's actually more important than Willy.

And the truth is, nigga was advanced as fuck, the sort of literary devices he's using are the very same ones that when used by a Big Meme like Pynchon get hailed as groundbreaking by Veeky Forums memers.

Also, if you haven't read his Novelas Ejemplares, you shouldn't be posting here.

I'm not denying he's one of the greatest ever. I just place him after Shakespeare and Dante that's all.

Then you are wrong. Painfully wrong.

Writers worth reading:

Homer, Virgil, Ovid, Dante, Cervantes, Shakespeare, Goethe, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Joyce, Proust, Kafka.

Those are the immortals. Everyone else is a tier below and not worth reading.

Should one read Novelas Ejemplares before or after Don Quixote, or does it not really matter?

Never saw an Orwell related meme, MAYBE 1984 being a "high school novel".

>forcing Italians
>no Homer
>no Chrétien de Troyes
>no Döblin
>no Broch
>Dickens higher than Scott
>Zola in anything else than shit tier

Are you fucking dense?

Reading mein kampf now, allthough the writing style is almost as good as joyce, but 0.1 points away from that it doesn't make it shit. The content is so fucking good.

He literally invented irony

>rand
>not shit-tier at writing
Ok buddy

Dont really matter
Quixote for trascending to literary heaven
Novelas for small glimpses at greatness

Ugh you are just wrong.

So you're saying that you should read one before the other? Which one?

D. Quijote pt. 1
Novelas
D. Quijote pt. 2

But the Greeks used irony.

replace Cervantes with homer

the earlier the more influential

>Vergil lower than Dante

And why is that?

I hope you are aware that Boccaccio and Chaucer lived and died before him

If your gauge for good literature is being "advanced" and inventing literary devices then it's likely that you are the memer, friendo. I bet you don't even understand what makes Dante and Shakespeare so great, you just like to spout your community college lit class talking points without an ounce of personal insight.

>no Conrad
>no Nabokov
>no Austen
>no Homer

I could make a much longer list, but I won't.

>Zola higher than Hugo
>Verne and Hugo in the same tier
Embarrassing really

>No Cervantes

where is tao lin?

Ovid was a cuck.

>no Nabokov

Pedo tier

Kafka and Pynchon are my favorite writers though.

Holy shit that's terribad

Where would Mann fit?

And I'd fuck your boyfriend

Kekd

Alright with me, but I want to see the rankings of Homer, Nabby, Kafka & Pynchon

joke on you, i'm not even spanish. Also you must write in english not being it.

as long as I can watch

publication dates, f.am

This user has a point.

Penultimate means second to last, but He's not second to anyone in that list, he's just second to the creator, god, itself.

fighting game when?

You miss

Perez Galdós
García Márquez
McCarthy
Homer

>Ayn Rand.
>Orwell
>Kafka
Hating them is a meme with libertarians and polfags. The former is believed to be an undercover communist. The latter is Jewish.
>Pynchon
was included because he's getting forced on Veeky Forums.

>no Faulkner

Its shit

every man is a critic.

I did not expect that response but I like this direction

>Kafka 'blacklisted'
A mere provocateur.

I feel like half the morons on Veeky Forums don't know he was a brilliant critic, and not just a meme fantasy writer

the person who made this chart excluded Orwell and Kafka because originally Orwell was higher up than Kafka and instead of moving Orwell down and Kafka up they just excluded the two for no good reason

>Frogposter
Opinion discarded.

Have you even read Mein Kampf? It's not bad at all. mid-tier at worst, certainly better than King

>undercover communist
He's not exactly "under cover"

looks like Veeky Forums isn't safe from this weird /tv/ autism

My Soviet Jew Ex-teacher had a tattoo of Kafka on her arm. Was I indoctrinated?

lmao @ Mann is only good-tier

please tell me it was the picture of Kafka smiling

That would be lovely.

Perché Manzoni è così in basso?

Why should he be higher?

>Pound
>Not a garbage poet unless he was rewriting pre-translated ancient Chinese

>Introduced Homer.
>Created a new tier.
>Introduced some new authors like Galdos.
>Kafka and Orwell no longer blacklisted.
>Changed some position, like Hitler and Tolkien raised by one tier and some other lowered.
>Mid and subpar merged in one tier, but the further down authors being in an inferior sub-rank of the tier.
>Deleted some author, which can return in future

So now I'll write an ''update note''.

should've stuck Behn in somewhere
also why is Emily Bronte so low

Trying to gauge different authors like this is pretty stupid.

I'm genuinely curious why you raised Hitler. Have you read Mein Kampf? It's not very good. If you're including it because it's popular, I get ot, but Rowling and Meyer are down in Shit Tier regardless. Plus that's his only book. So why is he even on this list, given that other than that one book he was a dictator who burned books by the thousand?

Seriously, I think people underestimate how dictators are the enemies of Veeky Forums Ideas presented in literature that they don't like? Burn it and ban it.

>I think people underestimate how dictators are the enemies of Veeky Forums Ideas presented in literature that they don't like? Burn it and ban it
>what is benevolent dictatorship

Wow ok fair point. I forgot I saw a vid in history class of Hitler and the Nazis throwing thousands of books on a bonfire. I think most were just fiction that didn't gel with his ideologies.

Thanks user.

Among the 20,000 volumes hurled into the flames were the writings of Henri Barbusse, Franz Boas, John Dos Passos, Albert Einstein, Lion Feuchtwanger, Friedrich Förster, Sigmund Freud, John Galsworthy, André Gide, Ernst Glaeser, Maxim Gorki, Werner Hegemann, Ernest Hemingway, Erich Kästner, Helen Keller, Alfred Kerr, Jack London, Emil Ludwig, Heinrich Mann, Thomas Mann, Karl Marx, Hugo Preuss, Marcel Proust, Erich Maria Remarque, Walther Rathenau, Margaret Sanger, Arthur Schnitzler, Upton Sinclair, Kurt Tucholsky, Jakob Wassermann, H.G. Wells, Theodor Wolff, Emilé Zola, Arnold Zweig, and Stefan Zweig

See
Lots of fiction on that list. Proust, Hemingway, Jack London for fucks sake. Some of these authors are ranked pretty high on this guy's silly list. What's benevolent about burning them?

Agreed. I bet the guy who made the chart hasn't even read half the authors outside of an anthology with snippets.

>H. G. Wells
I don't get it. Wasn't he an anti-Semite? Wouldn't Hitler have liked him?

Did you quote the right post? Hitler was not a benevolent dictator by any means. Despite this, the idea that all dictators are anti-knowledge, anti-literature and that they burn and ban everything they don't like is empirically wrong. See: benevolent dictatorship.

I did not. On my phone, sorry. Was trying to point to the list I posted just below your post. Wow. Not sure how, but I pointed to your post.. In The Futuurrree!!!

I know what a benevolent dictator is, but regardless of intention, banning books, or knowledge in general, is just horrible for all involved.

Seriously though, I like most of the changes made to the chart, but why raise Hitler? He had one bad book, and even though it is still popular in some countries, so is Twilight. Plus I'm pointing out that he was not a fan of literature, at all. He was a military dictator. I get putting him in shit tier, but honestly, I wouldn't include him at all.

I agree with dropping Hitler from the list. The only reason he was included was probably just to piss of /pol/tards by saying he's shit.
>I know what a benevolent dictator is, but regardless of intention, banning books, or knowledge in general, is just horrible for all involved.
The point is that there were so called benevolent dictators who didn't ban books or knowledge. Sure, a dictatorship is generally characterized by political oppression, but there were certain dictatorships where this kind of oppression (characterized by book-burnings and the exiling of scholars) was uncommon.