What do you think of the series Forgotten Books?

What do you think of the series Forgotten Books?
I've seen their books of amazon but I never bought any. It looks like they also make them available for download on their website.

Other urls found in this thread:

forgottenbooks.com/en
forgottenbooks.com/en/books/ThePoemsofOssian_10180169
forgottenbooks.com/en/books/ThePoemsofOssian_10199175
archive.org/details/poemsofossiantr00macp
sacred-texts.com/neu/ossian/
archive.org/details/poemsofossianson07macp
exclassics.com/ossian/ossian.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Actually looks pretty interesting. Makes you wonder why they are forgotten.

It's probably because they suck.

Most old books are forgotten.

Possible. But then again universities and schools choose very often for us what ends up as the educational standard. And I don't think that they always make their choices on a purely objective level.

>le conspiracy model

Not necessarily a conspiracy. It's just like Kant said, if we let someone pick everything for us, we might miss out on a lot of interesting stuff.

>Vegetable Gardening
>Home Gardening

Was Big Gardening trying to hold the secret knowledge of cultivating cucumbers from us all along?

Something might be a super special secret.

Website

forgottenbooks.com/en

>forgotten books = secret books
really?

You're quick.

most likely this. in my reading I've come across many philosophers, statesmen, and historical figures who opposed the ruling opinions of their age and are never mentioned nor are their works.

I look for their books on Amazon, abebooks, or eBay and they haven't been in print for decades, sometimes longer. Besides every bookstore carrying the same Locke, Hobbes, Nietzsche, Marx selections, it kinda makes you wonder.

>The Belief of the Jewish People and of the Most Eminent Gentile Philosophers, More Especially of Plato and Aristotle, in a Future State: Briefly Considered; Including an Examination Into Some of the Leading Principles Contained in Bishop Warburton's Divine Legation of Moses; In a Discourse Preached Before the University of Oxford at St. Mary's, March 30, 1828; With Notes and an Appendix

Of course it's forgotten, how the fuck would anyone remember this shit?

This is great. Thank you.

They're one of those companies that mass-prints facsimiles. I have one from them—from back before I got smart and started buying used books.

It's not bad. They do an acceptable job.

I got Boole's Laws of Thought from them, and it was unreadable, with severe typographical errors in the notation and formulas crucial to understanding the text.

pithy

They have one free book everyday. Most of the times they are irrelevant for me.

kek'd

in what universe are the works of mark twain "forgotten"?

Croatian Tales of Long Ago is some GOAT-tier folklore and mythology

The Holy Bible isn't forgotten either.

these are an actual series? I assumed this was just the generic image amazon et al. give to certain books they don't have a proper cover for.

the bible is not on the list
several commentaries of the bible are on the list, but they are ten a penny

Anything on this list that ISN'T absolute shit?

>folklore
REEEEEEE
Mažuranić literally made up all of those stories herself.
It's a great book, though, I agree. I wonder how does the translation deal with some of the subtler phrases.

The printing kind of sucks tbqh

>pretentious pseud faggot: the post
I refuse to believe that you are familiar with all of the works, or even all of the authors in that image.

My copy of Lermontov's Demon is printed computer paper bound with staples. It's cheap, but they print to order.

I'm not, that's why I'm asking.

Might want to phrase it less arrogantly then, famalam.

I have one edition from them, Taras Bulba by Gogol.

It's and old-ass translation, but it works fine.

Sturgeon's law: 90% of everything is crap.

This website is just some scam doing crappy prints of books in the public domain.

I put six inches on my cucumber with this one weird old trick!

excellent rejoinder

Does anyone have membership on their site?
Could you download some .pdfs and send them to me?

post which ones you want at least

forgottenbooks.com/en/books/ThePoemsofOssian_10180169
forgottenbooks.com/en/books/ThePoemsofOssian_10199175

>This website is just some scam

The PDFs are free online and you can download them, what are you talking about?

Have you tried clicking the Download button?

I have. Then I get a pdf where every tenth page is asking me to buy the membership.

nvm, I just checked it....

The pdf's have missing pages, they ask for a full membership in order to give you the full book.

>forgottenbooks.com/en/books/ThePoemsofOssian_10180169
archive.org/details/poemsofossiantr00macp

Have you tried
sacred-texts.com/neu/ossian/
archive.org/details/poemsofossianson07macp
exclassics.com/ossian/ossian.pdf
?

Well now I feel stupid.
Thank you anons

Shit... Well maybe you can use the site as a catalog of previews and then download the books that seem good from Gutenberg

Nearly all the books in this series is found on archive if not on project gutenberg. Pretty pointless imo unless you can't find a second hand copy