How important is actual sunlight to the average person? I'm curious, Veeky Forums...

How important is actual sunlight to the average person? I'm curious, Veeky Forums. If you compared a NEET who never leaves his room to a person who goes out often, would the NEET be worse off than the other person?

What would the lack of sunlight do to the NEET?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=Vitamin D
telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10041812/Sunlight-could-help-to-lower-blood-pressure.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tfw you're a NEET but you you tan skin

lack of vitamin D

too tired to post more than that, going to bed

I understand that it leads to a lack of vitamin D, but what does that entail?

If I get depressed 5 minutes in the sun REALLY brings up my mood. Like from suicidal to top of the world

Spending time outside has helped my acne, I just dread what will happen when winter arrives with no sunlight.

Litterialy autism

Vitamin D helps u absorb calcium. Good for bones if ur young. More importantly Calcium ions which are important electrolytes used to contract your muscles. As opposed to magnesium which prevents your muscles cramping up. That's all I can remember for more info check link related lmgtfy.com/?q=Vitamin D

Used to spend all day in the lab. Would be there before sunrise and after sunset. It really fucks with your circadian rhythm.

rickets, muscle spasms, muscle cramps, pale skin, weak bones, atrophy of muscles, brittle nails, discoloured nails.

Do you have any health issues as a NEET out of curiosity?

I'm just curious, list them.

We also get Vitamin D from our food. It's natural in things like eggs, fish, and cheese, and deliberately added to cereal, milk, orange juice, etc.

A normal diet will get you more than enough Vitamin D.

Of course it does considering how bright the entire places are.

Being exposed to artificial (non-astronomical) light sources does have strange effects on the human body, one in particular being it messes up the circadian rhythm. There's also evidence to suggest that it can disrupt hormone levels, like cortisol.

It's possible to mimic sunlight pretty well (though it can be expensive to do it properly), but the effects of being in an indoors environment for a long time go beyond just the lights. Sitting for a long time is the most obvious result of the NEET lifestyle. It's fucking terrible on your back. But also recognize that all the sounds you hear are completely different. I don't know what it is, but the monotonous sounds of electronics and AC systems just don't sit right with me. Long story short, I think there's probably a connection between 'mechanical' sounds and anxiety. Something about the sound profile being different than the profile of the outdoors. There's really something relieving about getting away from the human atmosphere and spending time in the real outdoors. A major part of that is the sounds change completely.

TL:DR

Being a NEET leads to hormone imbalances and anxiety. But being a regular person also leads to that if you spend all your time in the office or some large building.

What is "enough Vitamin D" ?

Let's take the mainstream approach and look at IOM (Institute of Medicine) RDAs. They suggest 600 IU (15 mcg) for people under 71 and 800 IU (20 mcg) for people older than 71.

I have a software where I can see the nutrient content of foods and I have listed 130 foods that in my opinion are the most commonly eaten in western societies (probably not an accurate representation but that doesn't really matter much). When I order the list according to Vitamin D content, I get only 5 foods that reach or surpass the RDA (with 2400 kcal).

Two of those foods are mushrooms (15-20 mcg D would require 300-400 grams of Chanterelles or 5-11 kilograms of White mushrooms).

One of them is a fortified food, Kellog cereals, which would give you enough D if you ate nothing else at all (well, you could eat those 4 other foods).

The remaining two foods are fish (300-400 grams) and eggs (700-900 grams, or 13-17 eggs, for the RDA).

The list also has 16 foods that have at least some Vitamin D detected but those are small fractions of the RDA, mostly dairy and meats. Vast majority has 0 mcg.

It looks like the only food (other than fortified foods) with enough Vitamin D is fish (and maybe some mushrooms if you REALLY like them). I don't think many people eat a dozen eggs a day. You could realistically eat 300-400 grams of fish a day and I bet many people do (at least in some countries and professions).

I would argue that food is not a good source of Vitamin D, or even truly a source at all when you look at the average diet. You need the sunlight. Only takes a few minutes of UV-radiation from the Sun to get the RDA (in many places this requires summer and midday, winter and rainy season doesn't really work).

There's also lots of talk about people needing 50-100 mcg of Vitamin D a day to hit proper blood levels, not just 15-20 mcg, and from the studies I've read, I tend to agree.

Here's one possible reason you should get your sunlight other than Vitamin D:

telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10041812/Sunlight-could-help-to-lower-blood-pressure.html

>muh cholesterol
thats still Vitamin D lolol

Dont go out user.
cosmic ray cause of cancer.

Dont forget to exercise your muscles.

Lack of vitamin D or Vitamin d deficiency causes "Rickets" (developmental bone disorder), and thin or brittle bones. Basically it sucks.

I used to be a normal person, but since high school ended (heading to college in a few weeks), I've essentially turned into a pseudo-NEET and have not left the house during the day since summer began since it's always 100+ degrees outside.

On the topic of symptoms, a lot of those hit home with me, currently. My nails are discolored and generally fucked up, my back hurts quite a bit doing things I've done easily previously, and I can't really sleep well (I've only gotten 4-6 hours of sleep the last few days).

None of these things used to happen to me before, so I've been searching for reasons why for a few weeks now.

I think I'm going have to find a way to get Vitamin D supplements and/or go outside without immediately catching fire

>some pop science article about how 70 cups of wine can make you not have a heart attack maybe, studies have shown

None of these symptoms would have manifested themselves yet, vitamin D deficiencies take a while to actually catch up with you (and then a while to correct). More likely you are just becoming weak and unclean because you sit in front of your computer all day. I would wager that your diet is pretty poor as well.

Stop being a hypochondriac.

some advice to my fellow neets.
If you are feeling physically weak look into yoga and body weight exercises.
Ever thought how prisoners who are locked up 13 hours a day get fucking jacked?

with the internet you dont have to join a class to learn this stuff.

>13

i meant 23 reeee

I'm pretty clean and my diet is also pretty good (little to no junk food ever, habits as a former athlete). I do a bit of bodyweight too.
That being said, I have been called a hypochondriac before so perhaps you may be right. I guess it would be best if I mix in more exercise and sun next week and see how I feel.

kek

>Ever thought how prisoners who are locked up 13 hours a day get fucking jacked?
By using the 1-2 hours that they aren't locked up to work out and lift weights?

>I'm pretty clean and my diet is also pretty good
You don't have to lie here - this is the internet.

Literally loled when I discovered cholesterol is the precursor needed for the body to make vitamin D.