Does Veeky Forums ever shop at those Asian food stores? You know...

Does Veeky Forums ever shop at those Asian food stores? You know, like the really authentic ones where when you walk in the staff all look at you kinda funny because you're probably the first White guy to stroll in all month? Where they have all kinds of fish kept live in tanks, and half the products have no English markings, except for maybe the nutrition label slapped on by the importer?

yes

Yeah I go to a Vietnamese grocery store all the time. I also got an H-Mart (Korean grocery store) that I go to. They are awesome.

Around here, the places like that are Mexican. Though if you are willing to drive a bit. There is a small Korean shop. All of them look exactly like pic related. They only give two looks. One of joy when you buy something, and one of scorn when you only window shop.

Yeah, I go there for trumpet and shiitake mushrooms twice a week.

i go to the mexican grocery store constantly.

Their meat is super high quality and quite cheap.

Chorizo is probably my favorite prepared meat desu

only asians are allowed in asian grocery stores here

if whitey goes inside to buy whitey gets the evil eye

THIS IS 100% TRUE. IM NOT EVEN WHITE AND I STILL GET THE STINK EYE. BUT FUCK EM ANYWAY. IM GETTING MY WONTONS NO MATTER WHAT THESE GOOKS THINK OF ME.

There's a couple spread out across my city, they're nice to go to. Usually go there to buy snacks and shit.

Use your inside voice, please, I know you can't read social cues, so I understand, but be considerate of others.

EXCUSE ME? YOU TYPE AS IF YOU HAVE AUDITORY KNOWLEDGE OF MY IMMEDIATE SURROUNDINGS WHICH WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE.

Yeah I love them. I can get a month's worth of stuff for dirt cheap. Their veggies are the best.

>be from not america
>live in america
>american grocery stores don't carry the same produce i'm used to
>go to vietnamese, chinese and mexican grocery stores
>they carry a large number of them
>mfw
Guess Americans don't like persimmons, cactus fruits, loquats, green onions and red celery.

Hell yes, I do.
I have 2 near me, one is a locally owned place that has lots of hard to find items as well as the ususal stuff, and the other is 99 Ranch (a chain asian market that's fucking huge). I have to shop at both to get everything I want, though. 99 Ranch has better seafood, fish, and meat, though, and a fucking huge produce section (and a better tea selection).

green onions are everywhere are you fucking blind

I didn't even know loquats were an asian plant until I moved to the west coast. Where I grew up, nearly everyone had at least one loquat tree in their yard, because they used them for landscaping, but we'd always walk around the neighborhoods and pick them and bring them home and eat them fresh, pickle them, make jam, make loquat cake, all sorts of stuff. I never realized they weren't indigenous until I moved away from home.

Yep, I shop there frequently.
I've got something of a rapport with the local market like that. I see a lot of Caucasians in there, but they mainly buy things like instant ramen and sriracha. I often ask for things like obscure chinese herbs I saw on Iron Chef, pig's blood (I make my own blood sausage), chicken feet (for making stock), duck liver (homemade pate), fish heads (for fish head curry), and other uncommon things. I'm sure the staff considers me "that one white dude who buys all the weird stuff". And that's a good thing. I've been invited into the back to share in the staff lunch. I've had various little old Asian ladies share cooking tips with me, etc.

Those are spring onions. After I posted, I remembered that Americans call spring onions "green onions." Give me a sec to find a picture of a green onion for you but in the meantime, I'll describe them. They look like a cross between leeks and white onions. They have a bulb, like regular onions do, but a thick, long stalk, like leeks do. Again, gimme a sec.

yea this
>yanks
>knowing how to name food

There’s a huge one near me that used to be a publix, its awesome and everything is super cheap. They sell roasted duck at the deli too, it’s great

Here we are. Kind of a small pic. Lemme try to find a larger one, if I can. Even in my country, they're only used in my region, not the whole place.
We chop them up raw, white, green and everything, and put them on top of things, in much the same way spring onions are used elsewhere. However, there are also a number of dishes where we chop the bulb and white part of the stem to use for cooking and save the green part for garnish.
I find them in Mexican supermarkets in Amerliand from time to time. Usually, they carry spring onions and Mexican green onions, which are similar, but not as sharp and the stem is both hollow and not as thick, but occasionally, they carry these.

Slightly larger pic.

Yeah, we even have two large ones that took over Kroger stores when the neighborhood got bad in Memphis.

The only thing is, you need to look carefully at country of origin for the meat and produce. Much of the meat is Mexican. The produce is just as likely to be from China as Bangladesh.

I always get a kick out of going there once a month and seeing such auspicious cuts of meat as bull penises. I mean, htf do you cook such a thing? Next time, I'll take a pic.

Is that a leek/Welsh onion?

>you walk in the staff all look at you kinda funny because you're probably the first White guy to stroll in all month

These stores don't exist anymore.

Every Asian food store has white hipsters shopping in them at all times.

Yup, go to a couple. One Korean, one Chinese, and an H Mart. H Mart has a gogo curry in it as well, which I adore.

post more miku

yeah or just people who live in the neighborhood. It's still a grocery store, it still has things like chips, candy, flour, etc. most people aren't gonna go to a store farther away JUST because it's not Asian.

True, even in Memphis. Some Fridays it's fucking hipster central down there.

The vast majority of the Asian and Hispanic grocery stores that aren't located in major cities that can live off of those people alone are popular simply because they carry a lot of the vegetables that regular white people grocery stores don't have

I go to a couple. One is really clean and tidy and nice looking, Korean emphasis but with other Asian foods. The other is a kind of dingy warehousey place that caters to Asian restaurants (they have basic tools/equipment/cooking attire/etc) but is also welcoming of normal retail customers. Both have majority Asian-descended customers, and I think all Asian-descended employees (sometimes immigrants, sometimes American-born), but Caucasians shop there too, and I've never felt at all out of place or unwelcome. Same with any ethnic grocer...people are friendly, they want your business, they're glad you're interested in their wares.

The more restaurant-oriented place is great for getting larger quantities of things, like big bags of prefried tofu, dried mushrooms, or seaweed, at much much lower prices than you'd pay at a normal grocer. It's also good for basics like Jasmine rice...I generally stick to 10 pound bags, not the huge ones, but it's still a few bucks less than at my regular grocery store.

nigga, you linked a spring onion

I do but the ones in Sydney aren't that great. They're all the same vietnamese shit. They don't have anything too out of the ordinary in terms of produce or meats. It's mainly just sauces and jarred shit. Whatever.

Anyone know any great ones?

>spring onions weigh 150ish grams each
No.

Looking that up, no, not at all. This is a single bulb with a single thick, fleshy, leek-like stalk. Welsh onion is a root system with no bulb and several, pliable/bendable/hollow stalks.
Not all that similar, really.

Most of them, this is true. There are still quite a few in my area that I've yet to see another white person in besides me.

My fiancee is Chinese so she and I go all the time. I go by myself sometimes as well and no one gives a fuck

As long as you don't act like a retarded 10 year old and buy nothing but pocky and instant noodles I guarantee no one there will care

...ok
Is the taste substabtiatively different?
So, the Yellow Fever bit you hard, eh?

Anyway, even if you do act like a retarded 10-year-old, I'm sure all that fades away under the universal solvent known as money.

I do, but Asian markets around here don't have any live stuff, or any fresh stuff for that matter. I still get weird looks, I even get followed around the aisles sometimes.

It just generally tastes like leek but has two strengths depending on what part you're eating.
The flavour of the bulb and white part of the stem is like a very sharp leek.
The green tastes like a mild leek.
Cooked, both parts taste like standard onion.

Only place that sells Soju.

yo will get ripped off the first couple of times, because you don't know what you like, and what you hate. (some stuff just isn't meant for white people, especially at vietnamese places).

Chinese places like Ranch 99 are amazing, go there about 10:30 - 11 and eat lunch there at the BBQ, (get the pork with the crispy skin) or cheap dimsum (1 piece of each) you don't know what you like!

Yes, but I live in Chinatown so it's just the closest grocery store. They don't have dairy, but I don't really cook/eat with it so I don't really miss out. They also carry all the spic ingredients that I cook with so it's actually pretty cool.