Ideas?

Alright, so I have about 30lbs of persimmons I harvested from my tree this season and am at a loss on what to do with them.
I usually just make cookies, but some other ideas would be really appreciated.
Also, if anyone has any helpful tips on removing the flesh from the peel other then a spoon and cramped hands, that would be amazing.

you know those peeler things, that you use to peel apples, that's what I use. I eat them like sliced apples. They're delicious, I can eat a pound a day myself

Do you live alone? You could share them with your family or girlfriend ...

i eat the skin

Get yourself some mason jars and make some preserves or slice them and dry them for snacks on the go.

Well, when I make cookies I generally just scoop the flesh out with a spoon after coring them.
As for sharing them, I was introduced to the fruit by a neighbor a while ago, he thought the tree was pretty but never even tried the fruit. I was thinking of sharing them with neighbors, but that might be weird.

Offering excess food to neighbors isn't weird at all.

That's extremely normal

Put a stick through them and freeze them. Eat the frozen persimmons in Jacuzzi or sauna.

So...I can just walk up to my neighbors with a plate of cookies out of the blue and not expect this to be awkward?

A neighbour I don't really know usually comes to my house with a crate full of zucchinis, tomatoes and cabbage.

It's not weird, it's just delightful.

Small town?

What I was really just wondering is, can you make a bread with this fruit, and those who are familiar with it, what kind of nut or fruit filling do you suggest.
My last cookie batch had dried figs and roasted almonds.

If you make it seem like you baked them specifically for them despite not being acquainted, that could come off as weird. If you just say you have more than you need and wonder if they'd like them, that is never weird.
I'm assuming you meet the basic visible hygiene standards for someone not to worry about health risk accepting food from you.

Yeah

It would be weird if you had like one, but a batch is fine

>I'm assuming you meet the basic visible hygiene standards for someone not to worry about health risk accepting food from you.
I'm baking food for human consumption.
The hot water on my tap is set for scald.

I am going to have to teach my dad the ways of dispatching fruit.
It took my mom and I an hour to get 2 quarts of pulp. Didn't help the things were like the size of racket balls.

it would be better if you just gave them 2-3 lbs of persimmons

>you have to eat all the persimmons

Not weird at all. Being friendly towards your neighbor is a good thing

I bought a couple the other day for the first time, didn't know what they were, wanted to try something new.

I ate one of them, it was kind of meh.

I think I got the "astringent" kind... wat do?

Try freezing one, letting it thaw in the refrigerator, and then seeing how you like the texture and taste.

Read about this last week and tried it out, ends up being pretty soft and sweet.

was it acorn shaped or stout like a tomato?

Acorn, definitely acorn.

Then yeah, it was astringent. If you didn't find it putridly unpleasant to eat, then it was properly ripe, so idk what else to say.

Treat them like a pumpkin.
Use fall spices, etc.

Eating them raw is fine for some, but it's an acquired taste.

Persimmon pickles?

Make jam. It can be freezer jam if you dont wanna fuck with the whole "you have to boil everything for 10 minutes" which is kind of a bitch. Especially if you let them get a little overripe/spotty. You can puree them and freeze in an ice cube tray for popsicles.

I imagine the might make a good gelatin dessert or tart.

I think they're good roasted. They can be used in place of mango in things like salsa or stuffed chicken breasts.

The thing about persimmons is they don't have much flavor at all.

that...sounds fucking disgusting.
I need to look for recipes.

Google Hoshigaki Japanese way of drying persimmon during winter, usually just skinning and then hanging them. They will get encrusted by their own sugar.

That's...
Jesus fuck, that might just work...

Are you really meant to peel them?

I eat them with the skin on. They still taste good.

I always just scooped out the pulp, but then again, I end up blending it up with a stick blender after and bagging it up for cookies.

Decided this year, I am going to use dried cherries and sliced almonds for the batch.

I eat them raw. Get a bowl and a spoon, I can finish off 3 permissions in one sitting. Weird aftertaste but it's worth it

cook them with some soft shell crabs
you won't regret it :^)

My grandma used to eat them like that but the whole spit sucking quality they tend to have is a bit of a turnoff.

>plate

Eh, put them in a plastic bag and tie a nice ribbon on it. Just say your tree grew loads of persimmons so you made cookies to share with the neighborhood.

Ice Cream

I like to be traditional.
What makes neighbors feel like friends then forcing them to take one of your plates hostage?

Hue