Does this meme board actually hate pic related for e cred?

does this meme board actually hate pic related for e cred?

I havent read a single thing from him besides the sunset quote but I find his interviews and the such pretty soothing background noise

You know, reddit is probably more your speed.

There he is. There he goes again. Look, everyone! He posted it once again! Isn't he just the smartest guy around?! Oh my God.

I can almost see your pathetic overweight frame glowing in the dark, lit by your computer screen which is the only source of light in your room, giggling like a like girl as you once again type your little elitist reply up and fill in the captcha. Or maybe you don't even fill in the captcha. Maybe you're such a disgusting NEET that you actually paid for a Veeky Forums pass, so you just choose the picture. Oh, and we all know the picture. The "epic" Greek guy, isn't it? I imagine you little shit laughing so hard as you click it that you drop your Doritos on the floor, but it's ok, your mother will clean it up in the morning. Oh, that's right. Did I fail to mention? You live with your mother. You are a fat fucking fuckup, she's probably so sick of you already. So sick of having to do everything for you all goddamn day, every day, for a grown man who spends all his time on Veeky Forums posting about a how intellectual he is because of what he reads. Just imagine this. She had you, and then she thought you were gonna be a scientist or an astronaut or something grand, and then you became a NEET. A pathetic liberal arts NEET. She probably cries herself to sleep everyday thinking about how bad it is and how she wishes she could just disappear. She can't even try to talk with you because all you say is "START WITH THE GREEKS START WITH THE GREEKS" You've become a parody of your own self. And that's all you are. A sad little man laughing in the dark by himself as he prepares to indulge in the same old dance that he's done a million times now. And that's all you'll ever be.

Start with the greeks.

You passed with flying colors

I hate him because I need a good reason not to start watching GoT

The fans strike me as icky and I don't have time to watch the series anyway

also that thing about squatting in the grass didn't impress me much

Probably the best young adult literature out, also better than foster wallace because fuck you

Reading the series for the first time now, halfway through book three. Let me preface by saying that I dislike almost all fantasy, aside from Tolkien.

The story itself is very tight for a fantasy series. The 3rd person limited point of view was a good choice on GRRM's part, as it allows an air of genuine mystery when something unexpected or a little more fantastical happens. Characters are relatable, human, and quite layered, with motives that make sense. The lack of over the top magic in the first few books, and the lack of more outlandish fantasy elements throughout the series, also helps to ground the story without making it seem forced. He does an excellent job of world building, and is very adept at making Westeros feel 'lived in'. He's also flat out fantastic at writing lyrics, in my opinion, and he really does know how to make food sound delicious.

The problem most people have, including me to some extent, is the prose. Quite often he'll re-use the same words and descriptors multiple times within the same paragraphs, sometimes even the same sentences. An example from A Storm of Swords that I came across last night is, "Some maesters say it was some other Brandon, not the Builder..." This isn't the best example, as it's dialogue spoken by a nine year old boy, but you get the idea. It can be a little repetitive to read. Another example would be the number of times in the first book that he uses the exact phrase, "He wore mail over boiled leather" to describe someone's armour. It comes across as a tad lazy to me, but again, not the end of the world.

His choice of language can be questionable, too. I'm not against copious swearing and vulgarity in a book, but it works best when it's appropriate. Occasionally he'll write something like, "So-and-so unlaced his breeches and pulled out his cock" when describing a character taking a piss. It's a bit childish, and can break the immersion if it catches you off guard.

Overall, it's a good series. People like to bitch because it's popular, but it's more or less the only fantasy series outside of Tolkien that I've found to be worth my time. The story and characters are strong enough to not be eclipsed by the sometimes-questionable narration.

I don't hate GRRM. I hate a few things he does though:

1. Virtue signals like a sexless beta.
2. Blogs about football instead of finish his books.
3. Lets showfags dictate what happens in his books.

>3. Lets showfags dictate what happens in his books.
He's gone out of his way to say that some things in the book will be different than how the show handles it.

And in some ways you can tell he's kinda pissed at some choices they made, but he wont say it openly.

GRRM has made plenty of questionable choices himself, particularly with the plot-sprawl problem that affected books 4 and 5. The TV show has at least resisted that, though it led to some shitty side-effects (the cut-down cartoonish Dorne/Sand Snakes sub-plot).

I don't hate GRRM, I really enjoyed Tuf Voyaging, but A Song of Ice and Fire is falling apart as a series, it started off well but it just lost its weight.

The series dies after the first three though. They were created one per year, but then he lost the thread and took five years to make volume 4. He called it the first half of the sequel to 3, but then took another six years to release volume 5.

People bitch because he sets up a story and doesn't deliver. He got old, lost focus and control of his story along with it.

Like winning the gold medal at the Special Olympics.

This.

I just finished the entire series yesterday. It seems to me GRRM has so many ideas but doesn't know how to finish them. He has some great characters (Jaime and Theon) and bad ones (Jon and Dany) he's not perfect. But he's damn good in comparison to contemparery genre fiction authors.

>But he's damn good in comparison to contemparery genre fiction authors.
>contemparery
You mean like Gene Wolfe: or Dan Simmons, or Abe, or Lem, hell even Murakami is better.

0/10, reddit is probably more your speed.

Dying of laughter, thanks user!

Nicely said, user!

Am I allowed to just not care? I have no interest in his series but that' not out of some sort of hatred, I just am not really into fantasy and it seems similar to all other fantasy. I don't care that he's popular right now.

I think the biggest problem Martin has is the fact he's introducing ever larger elements of magic into the story, and he's losing control on how to keep it low level enough that it doesn't straight up become a plot device like in so many other fantasy works, but still potent enough to actually affect the world.

The show demonstrates how bad things can get out hand with Bran and Arya real fast.

>trying this hard

I've only read his ASoIaF series and they are pretty dull for the most part. I just dropped the Dunk & Egg novellas 'cause of having as much charm as a textbook. All he does is introduce characters and talk about past events instead of moving forward, but I guess that can be the gist of the series being that the past influences the future more than anything in the present.

His rap battle was bretty good. He got btfo though