Why do I keep hearing that literature degree is a waste if you want to learn how to write?

why do I keep hearing that literature degree is a waste if you want to learn how to write?

if literature in college is basically learning cultural marxism and feminists analisis of classical books, where the fuck do I learn about the techniques of good writing?

fuck.

stop coming to this website.

to where?
reddit and facebook?

Just like any other skill, to get better you need to practise. If you want to get better at writing, you need to write more.

Content won't save you. Get off the grid now. Civilisation is the greatest scam of them all.

>where the fuck do I learn about the techniques of good writing?

nowhere, basically. It's a self taught thing. The only way you'll ever succeed as a writer, is if you develop your own style and way of seeing things. That's not something anyone can teach you.

Study History. I had to do so much writing in my undergrad that I think I found out that I'm a masochist. Also it had to be good, part of that finding a good program. I went to Lenoir Rhyne University, there in to writing there.

blind practice wont make me a better writter.
I could waste all my life writing and yet still be mediocre fuck because I didn't learned grammar and stuff like figures of speech and metric.

>I went to Lenoir Rhyne University, there in to writing there.
>there

Back to the drawing board.

For better or worse, practising brings out your ability and maximum potential. Not everyone is a genius.

>why do I keep hearing that literature degree is a waste if you want to learn how to write?
because its true

>where the fuck do I learn about the techniques of good writing?
Books and practice. You can learn everything you need to learn from the many manuals published over decades. Start with John Gardner

Upper secondary school was decent for learning basic grammar and stuff. Great if you actually wanted to become good, even.

>if literature in college is basically learning cultural marxism and feminists analisis of classical books, where the fuck do I learn about the techniques of good writing?
Well you do need to read others works and "analise" (understand) them to develop your own writing. After that, just write, experiment, etc.

That nigga probably meant just writing and writing with "blind practice". Besides, he wants to learn grammar. He seems like a real beginner.
If I were him, I'd get some schoolbooks on that basic stuff. Learn it and write.

>literature in college is basically learning cultural marxism and feminists analisis
sounds like someone got rejected from oxford

I have shitty grammar when I'm dead on my feet after a day of being a Mom.

No worries ma.

You can't learn literature from a classroom. It's a personal connection between the reader, the text, and the literary tradition. Get the syllabi and do the reading for yourself. That's how you get the most out of the text.

To learn to write you must write and read. To quote Bill: "Read, read, read. Read everything -- trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You'll absorb it. Then write. If it is good, you'll find out. If it's not, throw it out the window".

As you say, Mr Hermann Hesse.

Why do people say "writing cant be taught" when pretty much every renowned author went out of their way to get education and training?

>there in to writing there
apparently not good writing, eh?

in my opinion

going to school and staying self-taught are two different routes. if you are going to be a good writer, you'll be a good writer either way. just different routes, i think.

i also think life experience and self-understanding is essential to being a good writer.

anyone can learn the theory behind writing, but you can't teach true creativity

> if literature in college is basically learning cultural marxism and feminists analisis of classical books

Stop visiting Veeky Forums for a few months, then come back user. You're already to deep ,user. Believe me, I've been there. Come back when you're able to not regurgitate everything you hear on Veeky Forums.

KISAMA

You read and write for yourself - not for a literature degree.

The same is true for pretty much anything else.
Ask an actor how they got good, they'll say outside of their Theater and Drama curriculum, on stage at various events.
A programmer, they'll say they learned on their own time.
Mathematicians do the same. Attend symposia. Go to conferences.

The only exceptions are the ones that require a degree to practice. Doctors, civil engineers, lawyers. With VR on the way, soon that may change.

Education from then and today is much different, they actually were weened on the western canon from childhood or atleast teens and had good schooling far superior to today's for lit.

Do you see 14 year olds learning latin and greek and le greeks nowadays?

The point still stands that some form of structured education shaped them, even more recent authors like John Hawkes had a mentor. No writer grows in a fucking vaccum, the very idea is ridiculous

He was born 91 years ago. That's not recent by any stretch of the imagination.

If you're bringing up an education systeem with people steeped in classics and learning Greek/Latin at an early age, yes he is.

Second skin page 50

>... shadows and hear those long-lost words— "I have soon to journey to a lonely island in a distant part of my kingdom"— and I can only smile. Poor Prince Paris.

Yeah he totally wasn't familiar with the classics guys!

aw

wrong

only plebs think writing more.improves your writing

it's much more.important to read more with salt amounts of writing on the side

Write and travel, do yourself a favor and scrabble.

So, actually according to you I wasn't wrong. You said you still need to write to get better at writing. Did I say you don't need to read too? That goes without saying.

You got it all wrong. I never said he wasn't.

The entire point of bringing him up, among so many others was to prove the point that there is no good writer on this earth who hasn't sought out formal learning in one way or another, be it through books, workshops, peer critique or mentorship.

This "lol just write" mentality is bullshit said by nobody who writes well.

Reading and writing will make you better at reading and writing. What's so hard to understand?

That all depends on what you read, what you write, and how you even go about doing those things.

I guess the guy who draws anime all day will eventually be DaVinci tier.

>remove self from civilization to ease the consuming of products of civilization (books)
o k

No, but he'll be really fucking good at drawing anime (which actually requires a great understanding of perspective, anatomy, proportion etc.)

True that.