Is the Sam Adams beer glass bullshit?

Is the Sam Adams beer glass bullshit?

Other urls found in this thread:

cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2011/04/effects-of-glass-thickness-on-drink.html?m=1
cocktailvirgin.blogspot.ca/2011/04/effects-of-glass-thickness-on-drink.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>thinner walls maintain proper beer temperature longer
its not only bullshit its comically retarded

It's obviously bullshit, but how did they manage to get away with trying to ruin the beer by removing all the CO2.

By adding nitrogen. N2 doesn't acidify the beer like CO2 does, which means a different flavor in the beer.

Warming is related to the volume of the glass.
A thin glass wall bottlenecks heat transfer because it absorbs less heat

I didn't know that the cans were pressurized with N2 instead of CO2, but the point still stands.
N2 will leave the solution almost immediately, so this nucleation thing will keep removing CO2.
I personally don't like stale beer.

That isn't a bottle, it is a full glass you pick up and touch fully with your hand, thus warming it faster. Thin walls increase that speed. Thick walls would retard it, but only until the thermal mass of the thicker glass was "saturated" with the heat from your hand. The best glass is a glass with a handle and thick heavy walls. You keep them in the freezer.

so..

Laser etching (if releasing the CO2 is even a good thing), thin walls, and a narrow top to sustain the head all make sense to me.

Claims of a rounded shape that collects aroma, and an outward turned lip to place beer at the front of the palate make no sense to me.

If you didn't keep it in the freezer then the thin walls would insulate better because the glass wouldn't have as much heat to transfer. The glass would reach beer temp faster. That logic falls apart when you touch the glass though.

this is like that Stella Artois bullshit

There you go, I optimized the design.

>thin walls to keep the beer colder
that's the stupidest thing i've ever heard

I think they might mean thinner radius towards the bottom reducing the surface area in contact with the table?

But like still just drink out of like whatever you want man

>drinking Sam Adams
Fucking horrifying.

I've been on the Sam Adams tour before. They claim that the bottom of the glass if thicker. This glass is a big part of the tour. No idea what this image is saying with "thinner walls." But yeah, seems like bullshit mostly.

>If you didn't keep it in the freezer then the thin walls would insulate better because the glass wouldn't have as much heat to transfer
no, heat transfer occurs proportional to the temp gradient. The thinner the glass, the larger the gradient, and the faster the conductive heat transfer through the glass.

>The glass would reach beer temp faster
exactly, and doing so warms the beer faster. heat transfer is a two way street

A beer goblet incorporates all of these design elements plus a stem and foot so that you can hold the glass without warming it. I drink my nicer beers from a Brooklyn Brewery goblet.

Freezer glasses are the worst thing you can do to a beer. They will make the beer too cold to taste properly.

The argument is that smell and taste are very closely related and as such the glass should be shaped in a way such that it collects the smell and exposes it to the drinker when they're about to drink. You see this more prominently in wine glasses and wine drinkers.
>The glasses are rounded (sphere/egg shape) with a narrow lip.
>The glass is not meant to be filled all the way (doing so defeats the purpose of the shape). Rather depending on the type of wine you may fill it somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 of the way. Champagne and a few other wines are typically filled more but that has more to do with drinking culture.
>Occasionally drinkers will swish the glass around covering the inside edges with a thin layer of wine and increasing the amount of evaporation and thereby smell.

Beer is somewhat different in that it has a lower alcohol content and it's served colder (so it doesn't evaporate as easily). However since it is carbonated then a large portion of the smell comes from that carbonation escaping. Beer glasses will typically have some laser etching on the bottom to help give off carbonation and the lip will typically be designed to hold a "head". Allegedly beer is actually meant to be poured in such a way that it produces a specific amount of foam (pouring a beer with no head means getting less smell/flavor).

I think one can probably do much better than OP's picture. For one, the rounded shape doesn't really work for beer the same way it works for wine. Why not instead do something like an old school beer stein with a flip up lid?

This was explained by several other user's ITT already.

Fools. Equilibrium would occur faster but total heat transfer would be lower. The air around the glass is a better insulator than the glass itself, so reaching equilibrium sooner is better.

>The air around the glass is a better insulator than the glass itself
Bullshit.
Convection will fuck your shit up.

I know that your post is a
>lol I was just acting retarded
post, but what the fuck is the yellow circle even supposed to be?

It's about as real as this.

Hey, kid. Take your Ritalin, calm down, and let your beer come up to whatever temperature you like. Stop chugging.

you're an absolute idiot and an ignorant mongoloid retard. convection in air is a far better medium for heat transfer than glass.

Convection is not a big a deal as you think it is in a room with still air.

Here, tested. Not a scientific paper but any schmo can do a simple test like this:
cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2011/04/effects-of-glass-thickness-on-drink.html?m=1

If you have your fans blowing hard then you can worry about convection.

Why do you have that?

Dewpoint plays a larger role than air movement. Where I live, it is very humid and any glass of cold liquid will start building up tons of water on the outside and become warm in a very short amount of time, even if it has ice in it.

I know it's a blog but it's more Veeky Forums than the speculation going on in this thread at the moment.

cocktailvirgin.blogspot.ca/2011/04/effects-of-glass-thickness-on-drink.html

>In summary, the choice of glassware does matter greatly. The obvious take home message is that thinner glasses are better when the only option is unchilled glassware, but when freezer chilled, thinner glasses impart less potent cooling effects. The thicker the glass, the need to chill the glassware before use becomes more grave. What was less obvious was that freezer-chilled glassware can actually help to drop the drink's temperature even further than the temperature in the shaker. The first experiment missed that effect for the Libbey Martini glasses, while not fragile, were not thick enough to observe this negative temperature effect. Lastly, this experiment does not address the extra time it would take to chill a thicker glass with either ice water or freezer storage.

For beer the results may be somewhat different since beer isn't served below freezing temperature but I think we can expect to see some very similar results.

R-

reply to this post or your mother will die in her sleep tonight

- Jim

Why would you wait for the beer to come to temperature when you can simply pour it into a room temperature glass? The only point of using a freezer glass is to make shitty beer as cold as possible. Fucking retard.

With the room temp glass you might overshoot. Plus the beer would ideally be coming from a tap that's already at drinking temp so you don't want to warm it at all. The frozen glass will only lower the beer by a degree or two before reaching ideal again. Stop calling everyone a retard.

>For one, the rounded shape doesn't really work for beer the same way it works for wine.
It depends on the beer. Some beers, especially high alcohol old ales and bourbon barrel aged ales, have a lot of volatiles and a snifter is ideal.

Tap temperatures take that into account. No serious beer bar will use freezer glasses. The best use large wine glasses.

>The frozen glass will only lower the beer by a degree or two before reaching ideal again.
That's utter nonsense. Freezer mugs are very thick and greatly reduce the temperature of the beer. It's like putting a giant icecube in your beer. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Freezer mugs and chilled glasses are two different things. I wasn't talking about freezer mugs.

They are literally the same thing. Stop doubling down on your bullshit.

They are literally not.... at all....

You're right. Now that I think of it I've had a few beers in a snifter as well. Also, Trappist beers are typically served in a chalice or goblet.

>Tap temperatures take that into account. No serious beer bar will use freezer glasses. The best use large wine glasses.
I'm pretty sure it depends on the beer. Also worth mentioning are the people that run the bars on beer tours at breweries. They're often trained in a specific way of serving their beer in their own specific glasses (I used to know a guy that worked at one and he would go on and on about it).

See

Yes they are. And you didn't respond to anything I said. No serious beer bar will use chilled glasses and they greatly reduce the temperature of the beer.

There's no preferred temperature or glass for all beers. It depends on what you're drinking and what you like about it. I drink wheat beer, so preferably the beer should be served in a weizen glass and be chilled, but not freezer cold. I actually only own a pilsner glass, but if you pour it right you can keep a good head going for long enough to enjoy the flavor.

Using science to make a glass for sam adams is a complete waste though. Their beer is shit. The best science in the world can't make sam adams taste better enough for me to buy it.

I knew there was something appealing about Trump.

Not the user you're responding to, but you're a dumb faggot

Do you sip your craft beer while regurgitating the basics of Camus, you flannel-wearing pseudo-intellectual pretentious piece of shit

>Allegedly beer is actually meant to be poured in such a way that it produces a specific amount of foam (pouring a beer with no head means getting less smell/flavor).
depends on the beer variety. some beers, you really don't want any head at all, others you want a good inch or so

also the cost, you don't want a lot of head if you have to drink cheapshit like coors or the like

Is liking things pseudo-intellectual now?

Yes.
I'll bet you have hobbies, don't you? Fucking normie. Go talk about sports somewhere