How do I get into wines? I keep buying "cheap" wines (shit cheaper than 20 bucks) and they all taste horrible

How do I get into wines? I keep buying "cheap" wines (shit cheaper than 20 bucks) and they all taste horrible.

So far I've mainly tried Casillero del Diablo, and it just tastes dull and salty.

Are there some good "cheap" brands? I've heard Barefoot is good. I'm looking for something somewhat sweet, but not mostly sweet.

Right now I'm drinking a Merlot (Casillero del Diablo) and it tastes bad.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yCrKjZrg-eA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You can get a decent wine at a 20 price point. Try whites and roses too. A chilled rose on a summer day is my ish. And by whites I don't just mean chardonnay it's pretty meme tier. A dry riesling, pinot grigio or a Portuguese vinho verde are all excellent and very accessable.

Red chilean wine is too strong in the flavor, and like any alcohol brebage, you need to get used to the flavor first try some rose wine or a light flavor white wine.

Barefoot is for college girls. And is overly sweet.

Sorry I'm samefagging twice but this is a slow thread on a slow board so fuckit. But when you do go into reds start with pinot noir, chianti, or a little stronger option is syrah

>I've heard Barefoot is good.
No you haven't. No one says that.
>I'm looking for something somewhat sweet, but not mostly sweet.
Sweet wines are pretty out of fashion at the moment. This means that the good sweet wines are values. Look at German Mosel whites.

try some late harvest white wine

Bolla wines are pretty cheap, and taste great imo.

You can get a bottle of Soave for around 8 bucks, and that shit is absolutely delicious.

Matter of fact, most of their wines hover around the 8 dollar mark, and they are all tasty.

Go with any, really, but my favorites are:
Pinot Noir
Pinot Grigio
Soave
Bardolino
Chianti

I haven't had a wine of theirs that I didn't enjoy.

Piggybacking on this I had a wine once that was fizzy and sweet like soda. How do I find something like it again? What words would I use when I go to the local wine place.

In my experience you'll only find a few wines that you'll find tolerable if any at all. Trial and error.

Haha not that. Probs had a California sparkling wine of some type.

if you're in the states 2buckchuck or Aldi $3-$4 table wine is great, for everyday diner table, Ravenswood Zin is one I grab to cook with and drink at the table as well. Chilean wines, (Los Vascos), South American wines such as Malbecs are great, as well as French bordeaux; there's a bit of knowledge that comes with French wines: where they're bottled, labels and so forth (lots of regulation), but it helps the informed consumer. Try to find reds that are at least three years old. Drink and learn. I rarely spend more than 14$US on a bottle. Another tip, try not being such a cunt when asking for advice. You might find that to be the best free advice you've ever gotten.

Lindeman's is some pretty great bargin-bin priced wine.

Shouldn't be more than $5 to $7 for a bottle, and their merlot and shiraz are decent.

Something like Riunite Lambrusco?

Dude they're fermented grapes.

They're all pretty much genna taste like fermented grapes.

wine + coca cola

Im not op... Calm down man. And if you think those shite brands you provided are good for anything then you need to reassess your life. Op will hate wine forever if he thinks that swill is representative of wine. You just told someone to essentially get into vodka by drinking popov.

Hola espana

Moms hot pockets are ready. You better go head her call. The cats are hungry, and dad is drunk. Again.

>vodka
Go to bed Tim

>not being well rounded alcoholics

Fuck if I know.

Thanks

Probs this. Great with pizza.

Sounds like you need a nice tall glass of piss.

Moscato, Lambrusco, and Sangue di Giuda are all sweet Italian wines.

Don't know the names of any French.

Do yourself a favor and skip straight to Cote du Rhones. I've read every other post in this thread and they're all wrong. It's advice from the male version of girls who buy home decorations from Bed Bath and Beyond.

If you really find all wines "horrible" the price isn't going to change that.

Honestly there isn't even much difference between the cheap stuff and the high end ones. If you really want to like it you just have to get used to it. 50/50 mix of red wine/coke or white wine/sprite will make it easier but I really don't see the point if you just don't like wine.

>dull and salty

Some people just aren't made for tasting I guess.

Can confirm, vinho verde is the shit.

>mixing wine with soda

I drink rum and coke regularly but I would never ever mix wine with soda. What's even the point? I can't imagine that would taste good.

>skip straight to Cote du Rhones
This guy has a point. Rhones are good training wheels wines.

>I've heard Barefoot is good
Barefoot is oversweet trash drinken by women and people who don't actually like alcohol.
If you want a good red get a small bottle of Masi Campofiorin, if you want a decent white try the Sofia Coppola Chardonnay.

Get into food pairings.

A red wine and some smoked meat, cheese, olives, pickles, crackers, etc is heaven for me.

(((chardonnay)))

Facepalm

Vomit

There's no sparkling red french wine. The Italians are ok imo, although quite difficult to get into the "fizzy red wine" thing.

>there isn't even much difference between the cheap stuff and the high end ones
Well, I gotta disagree. Between a shit wine in a plastic bottle that you find at 1€/L in europe and a good wine at 10-15 € / bottle there's definitely a large difference.

For OP and curious people :
>If you find a wine dull and bland
Try stronger tannic wines like Bordeaux/Cote du Rhone with Syrah, Malbec or Cabernet Franc/Sauvignon. I'm sure there's plenty of Californian/chilean ones like that but my knowledge of them is small.

>If the wine is too strong, or you don't like the leather/spicy/heavy aromas or the texture
Try lighter red wines like bourgogne or chilean/californian Merlot

>If you don't like red wine at all
It's allright, try some wine ones, like from alsace or bourgogne, or even a cold rose wine in summer over a bbq, maybe you can develop a taste for them and then move on to red ones

>tfw you cant drink wine anymore because it's what you were drinking when you tried to kill yourself
:(

sounds like you should try wine at least one more time

>You just told someone to essentially get into vodka by drinking popov.
Popov is actually the best of shit vodkas.
youtube.com/watch?v=yCrKjZrg-eA

It comes in a plastic bottle you fucking degenerate. Btw how many days does it take you to panhandle enough money for a bottle of popov?

>Casillero del Diablo

they sell this in convenience stores here. I would expect it to be shit just because of that.

>A glass bottle automatically means its better!
Do you think the best whiskey only comes in small artisan jugs, you asshat?

wine is a meme

No but nothing good comes out of plastic.
>you can take that tip to the bank son

False, popov comes out of plastic.

Like anyone is going to listen to somebody misusing green text

You don't listen you read.
>like anyone's going to take an illiterate seriously

Gewurztraminers d'Alsace are top tier

though i'm a eurofag, might be way more expensive in america

>mfw you can find good Gewurtz for 5€ at the supermarket

$8 and better then some $100 wines I've sampled.