I've bought a rib eye today, and I want to prepare it later today

I've bought a rib eye today, and I want to prepare it later today
I've already taken it out of the fridge to get to room temperature
But my succes rate at preparing steak and steak related cuts are fluctuating to say the least
I have a 50/50 chance of successfully cooking it rare; the other 50% ends up in a charred-on-the-outside-fooking-raw-on-the-inside disaster (as in; cold as fuck, not even rare)
There appears to be a complete absence of consensus on the internet; some recommend big pans, some small, some a thick bottom, some a thin. The same for whether to use oil, butter, or both. And don't even get me started on the heat level. So let's do this: What is the proper way to cook a rib eye: final edition

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xGUwDi3k-hY
lmgtfy.com/?q=sous vide
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

For someone of your cooking skill level, I'd recommend sous vide, or a half assed version of it if necessary. Once you get the temperature right, you couldn't fuck it up if you tried. Then it's just a matter of a quick sear on the outside.

You want a large pan because a small one has the chance of just boiling a steak in its juices. You want a heavy bottomed pan for heat retention so when you slap the steak in the pan it doesn't instantly go cold. You start with a high smoke point oil so it doesn't burn when you sear it, but its perfectly good to finish the steak with butter and actually use it to baste the steak.

The heat level will vary depending on your stove, you need to know your equipment. If you have an electric stove you are going to want to start on high probably. But you really have to gauge it yourself, if it's going too fast just turn it down. Don't take any advice as a rule you can't break. Cooking steak properly is about getting to know your pan/stove/grill/oven etc.

microwave

>sous vide
I dont have equipment like that senpai
9 out of 16 sites I found recommend a grill pan for a rib eye, so I'm gonna see if I can find one in my roommate's cupboard

I get it, but the only equipment you need is a pot and a cooking thermometer. Nigger rig a basic setup.

Only need to cook on medium heat...

I do a mushroom and onions in butter, salt & pepper, as a topping,

Some whiskey works as a good marinade, red wine works well too.

Bacon fat to fry in... not hard to make a decent steak.

Things that will help you nail it every time.
a remote food temp probe will help you immensely.

If you don't have one you need to know the following and adjust for each:
how thick is the cut of meat
what is the exact temp of the grill.
was the meat warmed to room temp before cooking.

If you know the above you should be able to get really close to what you want.

example: flank steak:
1 inch thick flank steak at room temp
600 degree grill
2 minutes each side,
then close grill grates 2 more minutes
take off and let rest for 10 minutes
perfect medium rare.

you'll pick it up as you go but here's my rudimentary advice

>a medium sized pan, that could hold two steaks if need be
>preheat pan for 3 minutes
>use a neutral oil like canola
>you can move onto butter as you get better
>sear for 2 minutes, flip for 2 more
>repeat for about 6-8 minutes total cooking time

it really depends on your steak thickness but if you're just starting out these might be some good tips

as you get more used to it you can usually tell. you can get a thermometer like the other user suggested but you won't need it once you get a feel for timing and heat

any steak masters know what cut of steak this is? its in a lot of cartoons and even older people i ask remember having it but seemed to fall on the wayside.

salt early. salt now if you haven't already.

let this inspire you. youtube.com/watch?v=xGUwDi3k-hY

The Sirloin Steak.

bone in?

arm roast "steak"

ill check it out thanks

forget pic

You don't have a cooler, pop to boil water, a zipblock bag and any kind of thermometer? That's all you need. Seriously give it a try, it's delicious.

Just put it in a hot pan and cook it you fucking cunt.

sous vide is a meme nigger

Except it's not, you uncultured swine

>herp derp
lmgtfy.com/?q=sous vide