/universitystarting/ thread

/universitystarting/ thread

anyone else studying cs and math at cal? maybe into cs theory?

Other urls found in this thread:

boredat.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>studying cs

Sorry mate.

what are you studying desu

Go Bears!

Was it too hard to get into EECS?

Pure math because I'm actually intelligent ant don't just want toilet paper after 4 years

Join b@

It's the college version of Veeky Forums

Anyone can sign up with a .edu e-mail address and join the global board which anyone from any university can use

Some schools have their own board, but those are mostly Ivies, but if a school begins using global a lot, they will get their own board too

You guys should join and help shitpost Veeky Forums memes and terraform global to drive the /b/rainlet normies away

boredat.com/
boredat.com/
boredat.com/

Let me know if you join

What to expect first day?

>boredat

just says my email in invalid.

It ain't.

>computer science

ahahah

Math and CS and Irvine

nah. high school was pretty lenient, had a 4.45 weighted around. Got lucky on sat with a 2400, I was averaging 2350 on practices. 5s in all the AP sciences and 800s on math 2, phys, Chem subject tests probably helped too (just get prep book and do all the problems). After that just write a non autistic essay.

who here /starting at a mediocre university but at least the professors are really cool/

i wouldnt worry about undergraduate school too much desu.

graduate school is the one that really counts, or thats what my professors say...

I'm studying Applied math and getting a minor in CS at Berkeley.

Graduating this year too.

what classes are you taking friend?

studied philosophy at uchicago

i thought about going there. too expensive 4 me though.

i have a friend who went to uchicago, he said you guys have to read platonic dialogues in greek?

not everyone; i did for philosophy, yes.

how were your grades/test scores

here i think what got me in was my extra essay, it was pretty over the top

Mathematics and Computer Science

do you have to know french to do grad school there?

arithmetic geometry

Did you get ant other offers?

No, you don't : we have foreign students, and courses are in english whenever any student ask.

However, some professors have a very harsh accent, and I know of a bastard who even refuses to do his lesson in english :( (everybody hates him, and we were so happy he didn't get Fields medal while being shortlisted :D )

pretty standard profile... did your h.s. have a nationwide ranking? statewide perhaps? private school?

Econ

>tfw worried about getting into the colleges I want

I've been told I'm a competitive applicant for top colleges but I really don't know. Gunners and holistic admissions make this shit so hard nowadays

That's me. I just applied to my local university, but I know a lot of the physics and math profs from my family's church. I just hope I don't get crushed by the work load, since I'm rather mediocre at academics.

>ITT Computer Science majors get their souls completely and utterly annihilated

fucking lmao

is this just for americucks? My uni email doesn't have .edu

Any one got some decent books for diff eq.? My professor recommended one, but it has god awful reviews.

Tenenbaum.

anyone starting uni in uk here?

starting Physics at pic related in October

doing maths there in october. is your college making you do all these autistic rules, costumes and traditions? and im fed up with all their shitty lingo for everything.

If you're taking math this Fall you might have me as your shitty GSI.

At Berkeley? I completed my undergrad in math there.

If you're doing pure math plan your schedule to begin taking graduate classes by your Junior year.

I'm starting my Junior year at UCLA this fall; I spent 3 years at a Community College. Am I screwed if I don't start my grad courses right away?

Screwed in two ways:

1) If you want to become a mathematician, you're screwed because of underqualification
2) If you don't want want to become a mathematician, you're screwed because pure maths is useless to everything else

Basically, you're getting a respectable version of an English degree.

CS + Mathematical Finance at a decent tech school
Enough analysis required here for these to please the autist side of me and enough real content to make B A N K after graduating

Apparently so.
The owner should really include universities outside of America, IIRC only American universities are allowed to use the .edu TLD. Canadian universities like the University of Toronto use .ca afaik.

Maybe have a request for your university to be added into the list?

Messaged the owner about this btw.

this is the thing, though.
there are jobs which just require a degree as a "I am not a retard" stamp. STEM or humanities are acceptable.
there are jobs which require what you learnt. this is almost always STEM (tbqhwuf, comp-sci, econ or eng) rarely humanities

so whatever the demand of stem degrees, theyre always worth more than a nonsense humanities degree.

you might as well -- if going to uni -- do something that you want.

also, if you do want to go into academic science, a stem phd is a must. not so for humanities.

if you are american, though, university is a complete scam.

CS 170 (Algorithms), CS 162 (OS), Stat 134 (Probability), and Math 185 (Complex Analysis)

I'm also lab assisting for cs61c.
Classes start today, fuck.

do you know Konstantin?

Sup nigga, I did philosophy at King's College London

I fucking wish I had done STEM though

What have you done with philosophy if you don't mind me asking?

going in a month to study financial mathematics and statistics

>cal

studying math at stanford

how does it feel to be forever inferior

Stanford is more prestigious since its harder to get in but the quality of the education is virtually identical.
t. Stanfordite

I was thinking of going to Stanford for grad school, how is it over there? Berkeley is amazing education/research wise, but the city is fucking terrible. I hate every second I'm outside the campus. Filthy, disgusting, and full of crazy homeless/hippies. Also, the rent here is atrocious.

Rent is horrible in Palo Alto as well. Stanford campus and the surrounding area is really nice though.

For grad school if you're comparing Berkeley and Stanford it really depends what you want to study and who you want your advisor to be. Stanford undoubtedly beats cal in undergrad education, but the graduate programs should be weighed department-wise.

>Stanford undoubtedly beats cal in undergrad education
On what basis do you believe this

I agree with this. At the end of the day, Cal is a public university with a much higher enrollment of students than Stanford (a private university). Thus it is easier to get individual attention at a private university than it is at a public one, leading ultimately to a better undergraduate education overall.

I'm not sure about the graduate programs but I think Cal and Stanford are pretty equal in that (in terms of CS)

Cal is extremely overrated in terms of undergrad. The two next best UCs(Los Angeles and San Diego) are filled with overflow of more or less very well qualified students who were rejected from Stanford/Chicago/couldn't afford better schools. UCLA in particular is full of kids who actually chose it over Cal for various reasons (dirty hippies, pot, etc) which leads to an odd number of conservatives spread across the science/math departments.

Both UCLA and UCSD get shit on by Berkeley when it comes to grad school, though.