Just a daily reminder that reading to become more cultured is motivated by the same kind of narcissism as obsessing...

Just a daily reminder that reading to become more cultured is motivated by the same kind of narcissism as obsessing with makeup or fancy clothes.

And how is that bad? Strive for excellence on every field or don't try at all

You're kind of right, but at least reading to become more cultured provides the opportunity for the reader to better themselves and become a more well-rounded person, while those other things you mentioned just waste money.

lol no

whats wrong with narcissism
I rather hangout with people who obsess over something then boring me who can't commit to anything

you underestimate the social effects of being well-dressed

I drive a nice car
All my clothes come from Brooks Brothers
I love my high rise window office
I read books partly to become more cultured

You should try it, user.

>paying like $200 for a shirt that was still made by Malaysian slaves

Bro you're stupid

My shirts all day made in America, user.

You're stupid if you don't think places like BB offer a higher level of quality. You get what you pay for in dress clothes and shoes (outside of bullshit "designer" brands).

Regardless of what activity you indulge yourself in, you are always striving towards being some object of desire. Everyone is inherently narcissistic because reality can only be conveyed through our own sense-perception where it is filtered and analysed in a situation where we are the center of the world, consciously or unconsciously. The trick is to manipulate this narcissism towards the good.

striving to be better (in this case "more cultured") is not necessarily bad so long as it isn't motivated by vanity. you say it is, and I don't doubt that this is usually so. but it's not always vanity. sometimes it's love (as when a man tries to live up to what his partner, or his family, or his parents think he is), or sometimes just a desire to enjoy the happiness that attends on good health and vigorous mental or physical activity.

user brooks brothers is for dads r u okay

>thinking brooks brothers only makes their madison fit line
>ignoring all the slimmer, more modern cuts

>bettering your soul is no difference from buying clothes
Time to read the stoics, user

>Shitting on brooks brothers

Literally the best summer wear in the world. Go enjoy pacific sun and hot topic you fucking faggots.

Also, when you make $250k/yr in a professional environment, you are expected to dress well and professionally.

Is that you Cliff?

bateman get off Veeky Forums

You might think it's "le so funny" on Veeky Forums, but trust me if you spend time around an actual narcissist you'll tire of it quickly.

this -> Your job is to give me dubs, not to talk.

And you failed at that, too. Jesus, get your shit together.

holy shit!!!!! these digits!?!!! fuck!!

this

source: I dress like a dad

in fairness, though, I'm sure some old bachelors wear Brooks Brothers

>I drive a nicer car, wear nice dadcore clothes, I make good money and I'm respected, and I appear very smart. Come, do as I do.

Satan get out