So I told the family I'd be making the cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving this year...

So I told the family I'd be making the cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving this year. All I can find are basic recipes but I am looking to impress. Any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014606-spiced-mango-chutney-with-chiles
marthastewart.com/312619/cranberry-sauce-with-cognac
seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/smoky-jalapeno-lime-mezcal-cranberry-sauce-thanksgiving-turkey-recipe.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Add something to regular recipes.

Mix in blueberries or lime or some shit.

Mix with mayo

use other fruits like orange, apple, or cherry
use spices like cardamon, cinnamon, or cloves
use vinegar like apple cider or balsamic

have fun

This is the recipe I use...
Ingredients
1 kg cranberries
3.25 cup sugar
1 unit star anise
3 inch cinnamon
1 ml ground cloves
2 unit oranges (zest and juice)
90 ml port

Combine all ingredients except the port. When the berries start bursting remove the star anise and cinnamon stick and run through a food mill. Return to the pot and add the port.

If canning, process for 10 minutes.

Running through a food mill is optional BTW. If you want chunky/bits of berries, skip it.

Seems like a good thread to ask this in.

I work in a burrito place during university holidays, and when I next turn up we'll be doing the Christmas rush. I've been trying to think of a way to make a good turkey burrito over the last few days (fuck authenticity, it's meme food for people who want meme food).

The only thing that's bothering me is the cranberry sauce. It wouldn't go with pico de gallo or any of the salsas we make regularly. I was thinking that I could make a cranberry """salsa""" like so:

>Fresh cranberries
>A shitload of sugar
>Water
>Lemon juice
>Pinch of salt
>Chipotle pepper

Has anyone experimented with adding heat to cranberry sauce before, and if so, what recipe did you use and how did it turn out?

boil cranberries in orange juice (remember to zest)
add sugar
add cinnamon and a few scrapes of nutmeg

one 12-oz bag cranberries
orange juice to cover (about 2 cups)
1/4 cup Meyer’s rum (optional)
3/4 cup brown sugar (less if you like tart, more if you’ve got a serious sweet tooth)
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier (optional)
zest from half an orange (or to taste)

Combine all ingredients except the Grand Marnier and orange zest in a pot. Simmer on medium-low to low until thick, about an hour and a half, or until you have 2 cups. Taste, and add more sugar if you wish, but it should be somewhat tart.
Allow to cool.
Serve cold or at room temperature, adding the Grand Marnier (if using) and, last, the orange zest before serving.

Usually, during family gathering holidays, people want the familiar. Maybe you can make a clever dessert instead. Just saying...

Raspberry-orange-cranberry mold, with pecans

Shopping list
1 bag of fresh cranberries
1 navel orange
1/2 cup of pecans
2 small or 1 large box of raspberry jello
ocean spray cranberry juice (won't need much, even 1 can works)

Prepare jello to the "jigglers" recipe, just the hot water part this point, dissolve well Park in fridge to take the heat out, about 30 minutes while you prep the rest. This will fill a 2-3 cup container. Can be doubled as well.

Wash orange well. Rinse cranberries in strainer. In a blender drop in quartered orange, peel and all! I flick out some of the seeds if there are a lot. Pour into bowl, and drop in cranberries in batches, using cranberry juice if needed to whirl. Pulse a few times in batches. Food processor is fine too and rough or fine chop pecans. Combine all in bowl, and pour in cooled jello, Transfer to a pretty mold or just use a pyrex with lid. Refrigerate overnight. Transfer to ice chest to transport, and unmold just before serving or just spoon it out. Recipe can be doubled.

>add minced apple

this tbqhwy

Consider making something like a chutney: cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014606-spiced-mango-chutney-with-chiles

Typically we use canned sauce so I'm trying to bring some flavor to it

Working on the same question myself OP, to both you and Burrito user: here is another recipe: marthastewart.com/312619/cranberry-sauce-with-cognac I'll be making something along these lines with my own tweeks from other recipes. Burrito user, tweek the sauce with some Mexican favors, cumin seed, cinnamon, coriander seed (maybe too bitter), tequila.

bump

Personally I think using anything but cramberries, water, and sugar, and maybe something to thicken it up like pectin, is fucking heresy. Nobody I know wants gross ass orange-cran-cinashit.

Fresh cranberries have plenty of pectin. Just give them something acidic (like lemon or orange juice) and they set up beautifully

I bought cardamom seeds. I've seen recipes call for crushed pods. Is there a difference?

>buy few jars of IKEA cranberry sauce
>pretend you made it
not even baiting, they know how to do this shit

The green things are the pods.
The black things inside are the seeds.

If your recipe calls for a pods, you just roughly crush them to free the seeds.

OP here, doing a dry run with a mix of recipes I've gathered from here and elsewhere.

Started with 1/2 cup light brown sugar, 1/4 cup white sugar, some cardamom seeds and 2 star anise. Trying to caramelize the sugar.

I'd drop the rum in favor of brandy, but this doesn't sound bad.

Added cranberries now waiting to blister

Feel free to critique / comment. My first time doing this.

Added 1 red delicious apple. Turned heat up from 2 to 3

For the canned cranberry sauce people, you buy what they want and then you do what you want. But,you can kick those canned ones up a notch. Buy the whole berry sauce, add a teaspoon of chinese five spice powder (gotta check that asian section for this), and hit it with 2TBsp of some white raspberry balsamic vinegar. The 5spice has star anise, piquant pepper, and it goes double duty as savory and sweet spices both. Once the vinegar hits it, the sweetness is balanced
Instant chutney! Please yourself, because the cost of a can of berries is under $1.

Added orange zest and squeezed orange juice

Deglazed with port now cooking on medium for 5 mins to thicken

Final thoughts. It was a bit tart for my taste. The orange stood out more than anything. Use less Star Asine. Yielded much less than I expected (uses 12 oz cranberries)

If it doesn't come out of the can in one piece and stay can-shaped on the plate Thanksgiving is ruined. Ruined.

If you tried whole-berry canned sauce, let alone any of that other faggotry, at any of my families events you'd be lucky not to get thrown out into the street by everyone attending, along with that abortion of a sauce.

I was going to say you're a bit short on sugar. Red delicious wouldn't be my apple of choice either.

I'm going to do a second run tomorrow. Use all white sugar, go easy on the orange, and maybe use less Star anise (I liked the fragrance but it was a bit overpowering) overall it was more warm than sweet. Didn't really taste the cranberries at all. I'm pretty disappointed

You're suppose to finish with the orange zest, not cook it in. That is why you are tasting orange, you added orange essential oils to your dish.

I saw some make ahead recipes that added the zest. Maybe I'll skip orange all together it didn't seem to add much anyway. Not what I was looking for.

Jesus, knife skills are fundamental, user. There isn't two pieces of apple the same size in that pan.

I would add some sort of citrus zest; orange is generally good since cranberries are already so tart that lemon doesn't really make much sense

If you want to be radical, and you're willing to bend some rules, try making a cranberry-cream pie.

just bring a cute girlfriend or something

This

You're in luck, I (and incidentally, Serious Eats) already did exactly what you want. Jalapenos and cranberries are actually a very complimentary flavor combination, although somehow most people don't ever think of it.

seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/smoky-jalapeno-lime-mezcal-cranberry-sauce-thanksgiving-turkey-recipe.html

This is a great recipe to take and run with. Using chipotle is a good idea if you don't have access to mezcal, although you should still use mostly fresh jalapenos in either case.

Also add fresh lime juice just before serving.

This should taste insanely good with jack cheese or cheddar.

Orange juice and zest is a very typical ingredient in cranberry sauce. It's ridiculously common.
I agree about the cinnamon, though. I like cinnamon, but not in a condiment I'm going to be eating with turkey.

Found the trailer trash