Emma Cline published The Girls when she was 25

Emma Cline published The Girls when she was 25.

It earned her a 2 million dollar publishing deal and has received overwhelmingly good reviews by numerous respected critics.

So, how's that book coming along Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

zippyshare.com/
www35.zippyshare.com/v/w8cmQBM4/file.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The first draft is done and I'm working on other things now

Is that book literature or the typical genre stuff that gets rave reviews? And please don't tell me "women can't write literature numale pleb"

How old are you?

Many literary critics, including Ron Charles, praised it positively. I read the first few pages on amazon and I was very intrigued. She has a great writing style.

22 in August

>2 million dollar publishing deal

i don't believe that. i think someone is exaggerating. several people.

It's true. There was a bidding war.

>So, how's that book coming along

I have finally settled on which idea to start writing first. Right now I'm in the middle of medical treatment (a long term condition) but I had actually planned to sit down and write a couple thousand words every day of something directly related to this novel. I have the plot outline already. I hope people like reading about pyromaniacs and arson

About 3/4 of the way through.

I had to change the plot of the story. Its now about a man who get involved in a serious car crash, where his car falls off a bridge into the ocean and both of his young twin girls are strapped into the back of the car. The idea is that he can only save one and must choose which one will live and which one will die.

That seems like a pretty short book

Oh wow that's so awesome that you're planning on something. I'm planning on being an astronaut and jizzing in your mothers eye. Sounds like we're about equal in achieving that goal.

Sounds like trash. Using little girls suffering as an emotional prop for some guy's angsty internal monologue is shallow and misogynistic.

Usually when someone screams misogyny I do my best to disagree but this user is correct. Using suffering women as a tool (and seriously suffering) to portray some dude's thoughts is lazy and misogynistic.

Still writing and thinking, honestly. It's done the way that I'll "reveal it" on /x/ or something and it's a horror set a bit after WW1 and something spooky is going on in a SMALL TOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest it's encouraging that literacy is still thriving enough for people to get paid 2 million dollars for fiction books. I think our kids' generation is going to have a tough time with anything more complicated than a smartphone app.

I'm going to assume she's shit because she has the same last name as that hack Ernest Cline. No, I don't care if they're not related.

what we've got here is part of these new young talents that publishers are creating hyper over by fluffing up ricidulous mounts of advance money and paid reviews on youtube and blogs.

Garth Risk Halberg
Emma Cline
Joshua Cohen
Ben Brooks

all are terrible to decent and dont deserve thee praise.

Print and the novel are weak as hell and publishers and book sellers know it, so they're going in hard on the hype train and booktube goldrush.

I get the lazy part but why is it "misogynistic"?

And I guess the second question is why the use of suffering as a plot device becomes especially odious when it involves women.

I have no idea why they said that either.

I don't write. I just read.

I mean, operating under that system Schindler's List is insanely anti Semitic.

the shower scene that uses the uncertainty of the outcome as part of the mechanism for creating tension

They could have been written as boys, but let's be real here, they weren't, and they wouldn't be. Boys/men don't get written into static, agencyless, sacrificial roles like that. And you know in your gut that choosing between twin boys wouldn't have the same emotional impact.

>Isaac
>Of Mice and Men
>The Road

Static and lacking in agency were part of that characterization too. I have little patience for disingenuity.

Only the boy from the Road had any agency or unstaticness. He basically existed to make us give a shit about the old man. He just mopes around being fragile. And at the very end of the book he gets rescued by another, stronger, male provider - the "veteran of a thousand skirmishes."

Are the sales numbers actually worth it for these publishers to pay the writers like this?

Lennie is a deeply tragic and misfortunate character but he doesn't exist for the sole purpose of getting killed at the end of the book.

Yes he does. It's like when there's a dog in a "serious" children's book and you know it's just there to die at the end.

they hope so

I heard City on fire bombed and half the reviews shat on it for being an 80s NYC book by a guy who clearly had no idea what the city was like in the 80s.

>book

Seventh book is finished, just need to compile them all together, and take my time publishing them.

Gasautist pls go

why do i ever the impression this is a book written by some girl who passed her entire life studying and as no experience in life to actually tell a believable story that the reader can connect to?

Gas-kun has 11 books

So because they could have been written as boys but weren't, it makes the dynamic misogynistic?

But aren't you also saying that if they WERE written as boys, it would've been misandrist?

Seems to me that the "problem" is the mechanics of such writing, not the gender of the subject.

You'll have better time arguing that every sad pet death in adolescent novels is perpetuating animal cruelty.

How is it different from autists on 4chins with zero life experience writing "meaningful" books because they meme about infinite jest?

it's not. both are equally bad

though published garbage is arguably worse than regular garbage, for its function if not content

I guarantee you that no one would pay $2million for any of those books. Also they might not even exist because said autists don't actually have the discipline to finish anything.

you say it's true. you say there was a bidding war. what kind of evidence can you present? a website with an article that claims there was a bidding war? how accurate is that article? do you know any of the people involved, personally? can you guarantee none of them are exaggerating?

First draft done. In beta read right now, then revision, editing, and submission for publishing.

I'm 31, got 5 kids, and buying my first house this month. Got a lot on my plate.

Novels are for plebs. Anyone can get a novel published today, especially if they have brown skin or a vagina

It's so hard to be a white man, isn't it?

I didn't even know I was supposed to be an author. Wow. I see.

Never been harder. I love it. What is life without difficulty?

>Babby's first selection bias

Kys

Pretty good actually, my brother just gave me some money so that I could spend the rest of July and August finishing it.

How old are you?

I would agree with you if it were some kind of gendered death. If they were there just to be raped, or to be kidnapped, or to be a generally weak 'princess' dynamic because they're women and therefore always need rescuing, I would agree it may be at best, trivializing these things, and at worst, misogynistic.

But this is a literal fucking car crash. Two twins are strapped into the back of his car, it is the fault of the guy driving and nobody else's. It's misogynistic in no way.
If anything it points out some errant misogyny in society, because your generic audience will care more about twin girls than twin boys. There's more emotional appeal.

So the common cultural notion of a little girl's death having more emotional impact, for an average male reader, than a little boy's death is designated misogynistic?

"White man" isn't a unified category of individuals who share important characteristics.
It includes what 40% of the population of North, South America, Europe and Australia?

heh

he's got you there

They're actually going great. I should maybe finish them by the time I'm 20 or 21.

Yes, writing to appeal to notions that a little girl's death is more generically 'tragic' (read: palatable and emotionally intelligible) is playing into societal misogyny. When little girls die in books we die, but when little boys die we're just confused because little boys aren't supposed to die like that.

Sorry, we cry*.

Why are Whos so good at writing?

Publishers are trying to make the real money by selling book rights for movie and TV.

A little slow I will admit mostly due to work(24/7 most of the time being on call is hell) and familial duties(wedding).
Main series is split into 3 parts well I write it so its easier to organize
Part I
75% complete just need to digitize some chapters here and there
Part II
40% on its was just trying to fill in some plot holes where I can
Part III
30% on hold for the moment until Part I and Part II have been finalized
Prequel
5% written a little here and there won't drive to deep until Main is done
Sequel
10% outline is good progressing well
Finale
5% rough outline waiting to finish others in series

Crisis Story
holding back until main is finalized
Vice Story
Having trouble with the outline but slow and steady
Caesar Story
Gathering dust until Horseman is done
Sodium Story
20% Most of the papers are back west so I will get around to it eventually
Reaper Story
On hold until I get a better idea of where it's going
Horsemen
Combined two abandoned stories and enjoying what I can do with them together
Android Story
Haven't touched it in a while but now that I now the ending I'll start working back into it.
Fantasy Story
back burner until I get back west
Fish Lake Story
will start again after Horsemen
Horror Story
not up to par just yet

It'll be a while before any of these projects are finished but with any luck the first book in my Main series will be finished by the new year

>baby using fancy terms he found on Wikipedia

Wew

I hate that, my Aunt either had a damaged copy of the book or she just told me about it before finishing it, but my understanding was the old man died and the boy just went wandering off into the unknown at the end of the book. Then I actually get around to reading it and that shit happened, pissed me off royally.

I just finished the great American horror novel, and am working on turning it into the great American horror trilogy now. I'm 27, so it is too late to be Emma Cline. How do I make a 2 million dollar bidding war spark off?

Replying to myself
Here is the first bunch of chapters in a .doc file. The first chapter is just setting up the main characters, so maybe skip to chapter 2 if you aren't going to read the whole thing to get to know my villains. Criticize away.
zippyshare.com/

FUCK. I meant www35.zippyshare.com/v/w8cmQBM4/file.html
sorry for samefag

I can't even talk about female authors without remarking on if they are attractive or not anymore. So much of this stuff is just safe, New Yorker approved middlebrow fiction that it's the only way I can differentiate between them.

She's pretty cute, not quite a Catherine Lacey though.